Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A word on the city council

• 15-06-2011 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

A month ago they sent a fine to a bar in town for €150 for putting a poster on a shop front (the shop is closed with months). Now I'm sure the majority of people on here will say fair play to the council for that.

A month on and they're now about to prosecute.

If only they went about all their work with this kind of vigour.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

A word on the city council? I would have to say cnuts! :D

I don't understand what you mean OP, could you give us more information about the incident?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I doubt it even matters if it was a shop front, surely if it was closed, the shop front was a good as a blank wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

The shop front in question is the one on Michael street...it's been many things...including an NTL office at one point I think. Anyway..the window is constantly full of posters for events but this is now deemed as littering.

Now. You may ask why the bar in question doesn't just pay the fine? Well...first off I rang the office of the people in question and an English girl answered. (irrelevant where she was from...she was less than pleasant I describe her accent in case anyone else knows who I'm talking to). We explained that it was the first time that the bar had ever put up a poster and it would also be the last. We also explained that it was a young lad who was doing a bob a job and helping with the posters.

"that doesn't matter. Pay the fine next week or face prosecution".

Now, this well known bar is located beside the park and is inundated with people (from 20-60 a day) who use the toilet (non customers) because there are no decent facilities in the park.

If the city council are going to get excited about a poster than maybe they should also pay the bar for the upkeep of the toilets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I guess just take it on the chin would be the best advice there but I'd make sure that they were going after anyone who put anything up on said shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Many bars use that place for their posters. If they go after the place you're referring to, then I would hope that they are also going after everyone else that uses that shop front. I'd have no problem with this if there was consistency (i.e. everyone being treated the same) but I'd have my suspicions that this is just part of their attempts to clean up the city for The Tall Ships.

As an aside, this reminds me of this image which is always good for a laugh or two...

1270519677393.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I'd take it on the chin, and then include a note on all future posters "DOES THIS LOOK ALRIGHT NOW FOR THE COUNCIL!?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

If the bar wants they can say the toilets are only for use of patrons.

Anyway it was littering. If I put a poster up on the pubs window, maybe highlighting I've a vacant shop available for rent, would they be happy about it?

First off, I didn't complain about the fine. All I said was I hope they go about all their other business with such vigour.

And from all the evidence that's available to me, I don't think you're stupid dayshah but I'm sure you're aware that people ignore signs...especially ones that say "toilets are for customer's use only"

Maybe you'll reply to the actual post in future instead of the one you thought you read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

First off, I didn't complain about the fine. All I said was I hope they go about all their other business with such vigour.

And from all the evidence that's available to me, I don't think you're stupid dayshah but I'm sure you're aware that people ignore signs...especially ones that say "toilets are for customer's use only"

Maybe you'll reply to the actual post in future instead of the one you thought you read.

Then this has to be the most pointless thread ever.

Why did you ring up the council? Did you ring and say 'Hi, I'm just ringing up to say good spot on that littering we did, fair play to you lads'. Those posters make the town look like a kip. The pub got caught, and should pay the fine rather than wait to be chased up by the council.

If that pub is by the park might they also get some customers getting a Bulmers or a coke, as well as people going for a pee? Does this pub give the council some extra money for the upkeep of the park?

Maybe the €150 will help pay for a few roses. :)

Why is the mighty dayshah wasting his precious time posting in the "most pointless thread ever". Surely there are other threads you could be illuminating with your superiority.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

In fairness he does have a valid point, if you didnt have a problem with the fine then why did you call them if you werent paying ir over the phone?

All posters regardless of if they are for a pub of some "out of shannon" movement are litter if they are not put up in the correct place

It sucks to get fined it really does but if the council didnt do their job youd complain also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

ASK THEM FOR AN INVOICE FOR THE €150 THEY ARE TRYING TO extort, that should be the end of it,;)

on the subject i see the junket culture is still thriving down city hall :

Attendance at the following conferences was proposed by Cllr. P. Hayes seconded by Cllr. D. Daniels and unanimously agreed:
    1. Effective time and priority management – 18th-20th March, Carrickdale Hotel, Dundalk,
    Co. LouthCllr. P. Hayes
    2. LAMA – Spring Seminar, 2011 – 29th-30th April, 2011 – Fairways Hotel, Dundalk.
    Cllr. L. O’Neill, Cllr. P. Hayes, Cllr. H. Quinlan, Cllr. T. Cunningham. 190€ per head+travel+accomidation...
    3. How to be an effective chairperson – 1st-3rd April – Celtic Ross Hotel, Rosscarbery, Co.
    Cork. Cllr. J. Cummins.
    4. Kerry Environmental Recognition Conference 2011 – 7th-10th April – Meadowlands Hotel,
    Oakpark, Tralee, Co. Kerry.
    Cllr. S. Ryan
    5. The future of local politics – 15th-17th April, Celtic Ross Hotel, Rosscarbery, Co. Cork.
    Cllr. S. Ryan, Cllr. D. Roche
    6. RJR Energy Symposium – Co. Leitrim - 27th-29th April
    Cllr. S. Ryan
    7. May Day Conference – 6th- 7th May, 2011 – Westcourt Hotel, Drogheda.
    Cllr. H. Quinlan, Cllr. P. Hayes 150€ for 21/2 hrs +travel+accomodation

Cllr. J. Cummins informed the meeting he also attended the LAMA conference.

Advertisement