Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

returning a scanner?

• 15-06-2011 11:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

Hi All, would appreciate any help with this.

2 weeks ago I bought a new canon scanner, and while it works on my mac, the driver hasn't been updated to let me use the advanced features. I have looked on the canon website and a driver is unavailable.

I bought the scanner specifically for the advanced features and was not told that they would not be accessible.

This means the scanner is no better than the one I wanted to replace.

Am I entitled to return the scanner?

Thanks
    Wazzo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Does it state that all the features are available on Mac, or did you ask?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I bought the scanner specifically for the advanced features and was not told that they would not be accessible.

Were you told that the advanced features would be accessible? What does the product documentation say (in relation to Mac)? Did you ask about the advanced features?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

Yes the scanner states that is works on OSX 10.6, My version is 10.6.7.

My partner uses 10.4.7 and can access all the features that are not available to me.

I'd say you should contact the store, explain the situation and see what they say.

You could also contact Canon support and ask them about the function/features and latest drivers for your OS.

I won't have an chance to get back to the store for a week at least but I would like to be aware of what rights I have before I do so. Will get in touch with canon. Ta

• Advertisement

You should phone the shop, explain the situation, and see what they advise.

You could check the Sale of Goods Act, because it would seem that the product isn't working as advertised, so in my opinion, you are entitled to refund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭daheff

My partner uses 10.4.7 and can access all the features that are not available to me.

Ermm....based off this info, I would be of the opinion that you would be at the mercy of the retailer

as your OSX is 10.6.7 , which is newer than 10.6 then the product isnt saying its compatible.

your partners OSX is an earlier version and as such would (normally) be fully compatible with the product.

good luck though...no harm in chancing your arm with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

May I as what model the scanner is ?

Ken

ZENER wrote: »
    May I as what model the scanner is ?

Ken

It's a canoscan lide 210

The Canon site has a driver released January 2011. Version 17.4.1. Is that the version that came with the scanner ?

http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0040363.asp?model=

What features don't work with the current driver ?

Ken

• Advertisement

The Canon site has a driver released January 2011. Version 17.4.1. Is that the version that came with the scanner ?

http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0040363.asp?model=

What features don't work with the current driver ?

Ken

Yup, I've tried that one but it's the same as the disk. on OSx 10.6.7 I can only scan at 600dpi and have no manual control over the resolution settings. On 10.4.11 I can scan at 1200 dpi and can use it in 48 bit, as well as numerous other asjustments.

I think you might get a better response for this in the Mac forum you know. At least on the features and compatibility/driver issues.

Mods ?

Ken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Unfortunately you just learnt what everyone in the IT industry already knows, and that is that "works" does not mean that all advanced features are available. If the scanner can image an page and send it to the Mac, then it works and the driver works. It may not provide the features you expected but it works none the less.

Unless you were asked for those features on OSX 10.6.7 or was told by the retailer that those features would be available on OSX 10.6.7 then the retailer is not obliged to do anything for you.

I think you might get a better response for this in the Mac forum you know. At least on the features and compatibility/driver issues.

Mods ?

Ken
    Cheers, I'm pretty sure the driver hasn't been updated, but what I really posted for was to have some awareness as to my consumer rights if I return to the shop.

Indeed , it's very possible the shop will sympathise and allow me to return it even if it's not obliged to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Cheers, I'm pretty sure the driver hasn't been updated, but what I really posted for was to have some awareness as to my consumer rights if I return to the shop.

Indeed , it's very possible the shop will sympathise and allow me to return it even if it's not obliged to.

That is true, so plead your case and they may allow you to exchange it for one that is fully supported by your OS version. I don't think you have any statutory right to return it though, as the version supported by the scanner is different to your OS, and there's technically nothing wrong with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Bloody Canon .. :)

I'm thinking this is because your 10.4 machine is PowerPC and 10.6 runs on Intel ?

Other option is to run Vmware or something and use the Windows Version, or wait until they update the drivers.

IMO the Applestore would allow returns of a bunch of scanner and printers due to features not working in the Mac OS Drivers.

No, both computers are intel, it's down to the os methinks, the scanner itself is not so expensive, if I don't get any joy from the shop I'll flog it on.

Advertisement