Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speeding fine, Spain.

• 15-06-2011 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

I rented a car to drive around the north of Spain recently. Everything went well or so I thought. Then a registered letter arrived (and was accepted!) last week at my parents address (which is the one on my passport). It's for €400! I know I should haven't been speeding and generally don't. I think I didn't notice that the limit had reduced to 50k. Anyway I think €400 is excessive. I love Spain (still) and don't want this hanging over me next time I go back.
    Has anybody any advise?
    Can I ignore it without major repercussions? Will it go away? or should I bite the bullet, have a lean month and take my punishment?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

0kee wrote: »
    Can I ignore it without major repercussions? Will it go away? or should I bite the bullet, have a lean month and take my punishment?

Who was the "fine" from? The car rental company, or the local Spanish authority?

If it was from the Spanish authorities, then I certainly wouldn't avoid it, or else you may have problems going back to Spain. It won't simply go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 0kee

Thanks Paul. My Spanish isn't great so I'm getting a friend to translate it tonight. It's from authorities as far as I can make out. They must have got my details from the rental company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I'd be cautious about that.

Generally if you are in a hired car the ticket will go to the car owner - the rental agency - and they will charge it to the credit card you used to pay for the car hire.

I can't see why the rental car company would go to the trouble of giving your details to the authorities to send you a ticket (unless there's some different procedures in Spain).

There have been alot of speeding fine scams in Spain. They get your address from hotel registers and so on. Would you have used the parents address anywhere when there - for hotel or the car hire?

Does it look genuine and does it have contact details? You could try contacting the hire car company for verification. They would have had to give them your address. You could also try the embassy.

€400 seems a lot for a speeding fine and the registered post makes it all seem official. Possible scam and you'd need to check into it before paying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

From my experience the rental company does not get involved and will pass you details onto the governing authority, who will then decide whether or not to pursue you.

I hired a car in Australia and thought I saw a flash one night as I was driving through a small town. Sure enough, I received a speeding ticket through the post back at home. It was for the equivalent of €350. They had a little picture of the car as they took the picture, so that was proof enough for me.

I could have no paid it, but I would probably have a world of hurt getting back into Oz in the future so I paid up.

Check to see if they list when and where the offence took place. This will help assure you the ticket is genuine.

Cheers Brian. Yeah, Google, my first port of call, threw up lots of stuff about a scam in Spain involving speeding tickets. Unfortunately I think this is genuine. There's a photo of the car and the time seems about right. I also checked the Spanish road authority website and €400 is correct believe it or not. I was doing 84k in a 50k zone. I think the reason they didn't charged the credit card is because my father used his card and I was the only named driver.
    I suppose I was hoping someone here had a similar experience, didn't pay and heard nothing further about it. Anybody?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I have ignored many of these in the past with no ill effects and I have been back to the country concerned many times since.

Up to you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

Likewise I too have ignored a penalty i received 3 years ago.When you go to Spain they dont scan your passport you simply walk through Passport control.I dont even think anyone has looked at me and the Pport photo.In Malaga airport they seem to wave you on and dont even look up from the magazine theyre reading.

Anyway theres no real way of them catching you unless you are arrested and they run a background check on you....a VERY detailed backrground check at that.

Thanks. This is what I was thinking (or hoping). My main concern would be that it show up when I try to rent a car again?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

As far as i know car rental shops arent linked into any universal fine arrear system so will have no way of knowing.The Policia got your address from teh car rental Shop and sent it on rather be culpable themsleves and pay the fine.

If you want to pay it to relieve any anxiety you have go ahead,personally id write it off to experience and slow down.....when there are cameras around anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

My main concern would be that it show up when I try to rent a car again?
    Not a chance of that happening.

• Advertisement

Cheers. I think I'll chance it so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

davmol wrote: »
    When you go to Spain they dont scan your passport you simply walk through Passport control.I dont even think anyone has looked at me and the Pport photo.In Malaga airport they seem to wave you on and dont even look up from the magazine theyre reading.

If you fly to Spain your passport details have to submitted in advance to the Spanish authorities (APIS). Plenty of time for the bells and red lights to flash and no wonder they are sitting around - everybody is pre-screened.

That's of course if they link your passport number to the offence. Obviously if your dad paid for the car that's why it went to your parents address so it's probably not because it is the address you used to apply for your passport. There may be no connection between this fine and your passport number. Would you have used this as ID when picking up the car?

Advertisement