Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* French Higher Level Aftermath * (1 thread only please)

• 15-06-2011 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Just out, delighted with the paper. Very predictable written topics and easy comprehensions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Yeah its almost too good to be true! Feel quite good about it! Listening was soo easy too, easiest in years, as were the comprehensions, only thing I was unsure about was the preposition, anyone remember the answer??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Aural and comprehensions were assez facile :) opinions were grand too. I'm extremely happy with how it went.

And the answer for the last aural question 'picking mushrooms' made my day :pac: everyone after the aural exam was like .. 'did you hear....mushrooms?' :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 xxCookiexx

For the preposition i got "du" . but thats only one of many. For the imparfait i put "faullait". hope thats right. is it just me or did anyone else think the last answer on the listening test was to do with mushrooms!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

It was okay. French isn't one of my best subjects but hopefully scraped the C3 requirement I need. I'm just glad it's over.

xxCookiexx wrote: »
    For the preposition i got "du" . but thats only one of many. For the imparfait i put "faullait". hope thats right. is it just me or did anyone else think the last answer on the listening test was to do with mushrooms!?

i said picking mushrooms :) :P Is dans a preposition?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Paper was A standard but I did mess up the listening a bit, as was expected...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

I was thinking of dropping but stayed at higher level.

Comprehensions were good, journal was lovely, did the religion piece which was ok and did 1b which was bad!

Aural, Section 1 was lovely, then section 2 happened, then 3 and 4 were also bad! 5 was good but I think I was the only person who didn't hear mushrooms..! I thought I heard salle-de-bain..! :P

would saying, "they were getting mushrooms" the same as saying they were "picking mushrooms"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

i said picking mushrooms :) :P Is dans a preposition?

FúCK..! Just realized I thought it was pronoun for some reason..! :mad: Damn..!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Pour, a and du are the prepositions

• Advertisement

I was so mad when they asked for a preposition, I was expecting a pronoun. I was like "What the hell is a preposition again?" and ended up picking something wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ClaireMarie

Aural and comprehensions were assez facile :) opinions were grand too. I'm extremely happy with how it went.

And the answer for the last aural question 'picking mushrooms' made my day :pac: everyone after the aural exam was like .. 'did you hear....mushrooms?' :P

Oh no!! :eek: I said that the parents were on magic mushrooms *facepalm*

nommm wrote: »

ah crap :o

What did every1 get for the multiple choice on the comprehensions.
    I remember I got (C) for text 1 and (A) for text 2. anyone else get these?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

I didn't get the last question in the aural. Not worried though. Its only worth 2 marks.

Grand paper. Comprehensions were lovely. They asked for a preposition. There was at least 20 of them in that paragraph. The reactions were lovely also. I did the one on beer, independence and social networks. Its a great exam too. Your not under any time constraints which is lovely. Happy out. I was dreading it!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

Our french teacher was up she said méme is also a prep?! Thats what I had put down :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 47 dannyirishman

Comps were fine and the topics for the written were grand.

Listening was a disaster though if someone offered me 6-7% for it right now I would take it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

Yeah... I got the preposition wrong! And the parents, yes were... gathering mushrooms :P

1st comprehension was a beaut, 2nd wasn't too bad but I said Nathan wasn't cool and calculated :/
    Did Q1a) and got in my "subjonctif" yesssss :P
    Q on alcohol, too good to be true methinks? :/
    Q on social networking sites.. not as good as the other two but still grand all the same

Listening wasn't toooo bad but I didn't get some bits of it!

irish_man wrote: »
    Grand paper. Comprehensions were lovely. They asked for a preposition. There was at least 20 of them in that paragraph.
    The problem for me was figuring out what a preposition is :P

For my composition I did young independence, diary, alcohol, and religion.

Would you lose marks if you said nathan wasnt cool and calculated actually? If you backed it up with decent points. Because i said he wasnt but looking back now *facepalm*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭DessieMG

For the listening, do you think you would get any marks for:

in section 4
    saying that it was her own arm that was broken,
    you see the sun rise 6 times a day,
    there are plenty of jobs for women,

in section 3,

saying that he pulled out at a roundabout
    and he didn't see the lorry coming?

in section 2

he was depressed because he could not pay his rent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

Would you lose marks if you said nathan wasnt cool and calculated actually? If you backed it up with decent points. Because i said he wasnt but looking back now *facepalm*

I did this too!!

I said he wasn't because his hands were shaking and hears was thumping when he was reading the letter and also because he did something "avec impatience" can't remember what it was now :/

Also where the fúck did he fall over?! I'm guessing tomber has a different meaning somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭michaelm82803

FAB french paper! :) I did, unlike everyone else, it seems, question 1(b) on criminality. I also did, alcohol and the beaut of a diary entry! :D
    The comprehensions were lovely and so was the listening, bar section 2 :/
    I was kicking myself after the listening, was sitting there for the last question on mushrooms with a complete mind block! :pac:
    ah sure its only 2 marks!! Fingers crossed for the A :)

Nope as long as you backed it up with evidence that he wasn't from the story. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ClaireMarie

No, as long as you can back it up, you're fine :)
    If you ever look at the marking scheme for a French paper, they always accept both sides, as long as you back it up!

I did this too!!

Also where the fúck did he fall over?! I'm guessing tomber has a different meaning somewhere?

was it not he made something fall?? i said the medical files

Because question 1 (a) asked what do you think is the importance of independence (or something like that!) i knocked out a page on how it is important for old people as well as the young to be independent and all the societies that were set up for independent old people and all the facilities we have here in ireland that allows old people to be independent. Literally a page full of BS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Was so worried about French. Got a C1 last year and I thought I'd gotten about a D,did nothing for it.
    Hoping for at least a B this year,seeing as I did far more work for it.
    Think I got it,hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

irish_man wrote: »
    was it not he made something fall?? i said the medical files
    He did. The verb used was "faire tomber" which means to drop or to knock over. He knocked over the "Dossiers medicales" aka Medical files.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭IfUSeekAmy

scaring me like that.....

dans is a preposition. :)

http://french.about.com/library/weekly/aa010800.htm

Very much liked it overall. :)

said a van instead of a lorry in the aural. stupid mistake.

wasn't overly certain about the 2comprehension qs about the dog, and how he fell, but I think I got the 3of them. :)

A1 hopefully. :)

Advertisement