Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* French Higher Level Aftermath * (1 thread only please)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

PJelly wrote: »
    But the test in general was easy. So they might be tough on the marking.
    I honestly, halfway through my first comprehension, double checked the front of the paper. To make sure I didn't somehow have a pink ordinary paper.

Did the colour not sorta give it away? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

I cut out fallait and put in etait at the last moment! :C But sure, etait was present at a number of places in that section, one of it could correct!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭IfUSeekAmy

Surely you covered the plus-que-parfait? It's talking about doing something before something else happened. Anyway I'd say they'll give marks for it since technically it IS the imparfait conjugation of the verb etre...

THE ONLY other year when an imperfect was asked for, and that there was a plus-que-parfait in the text was 2000.

the marking schemes only go back to 2001.

fml.

if anyone has a marking scheme for 2000.

If ÉTAIS was accepted then, then it should be now.

exact same scenario.

actually no. it was used in the normal sense too. fml again.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭red_red_wine

At least ye actually saw those questions :(... I had no idea there was any question about a preposition until I heard people talking about it on the way put - and I had no idea there was an imparfait question until I came on Boards. I'm dreading finding out how many other questions I somehow skipped when they put the paper online.

This is the first exam I've been really disappointed with. Thank God I have four days off, my head was really just not in a good space today.

:(

Oh btw, which comprehension were those two questions even in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

Cydoniac wrote: »
    I've never heard of it. Kind of irritated now.
    It and the subjunctive are the tenses that teachers sometimes skip. Though clearly shouldn't.
    My teacher said that in college, she had no idea that there was another tense called the subjunctive.

• Advertisement

Did the colour not sorta give it away? ;)
    I thought someone might have put the honors and ordinary paper in the same wash :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

. . .because its plusque parfait, which comprises imparfait stem with past participle. . .it was hard to spot because of the "deja" between the stem and the past partiple. . .at least, that was my reasoning
    Because if it's followed but the past partciple of a verb like était allé then its the plus-que-parfait. Although I have a feeling they could give the marks for it seeing as most of the people I spoke to wrote it.

I wrote fallait but that was luck as I didn't notice that était was actually part of a plus-que-parfait conjugation!
    Im 90% sure était came up twice in that paragragh and even if it didn't i still don't see whats wrong with putting it down.

At least ye actually saw those questions :(... I had no idea there was any question about a preposition until I heard people talking about it on the way put - and I had no idea there was an imparfait question until I came on Boards. I'm dreading finding out how many other questions I somehow skipped when they put the paper online.

This is the first exam I've been really disappointed with. Thank God I have four days off, my head was really just not in a good space today.

Oh btw, which comprehension were those two questions even in?
    One each I think

THFC wrote: »
    Im 90% sure était came up twice in that paragragh and even if it didn't i still don't see whats wrong with putting it down.
    I'm hoping it came up a few times, and that one of them was right.
    Or I have a thick corrector who just looks at my "etait" and says "Yup that's imperfect all right *tick*"

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

PJelly wrote: »
    I'm hoping it came up a few times, and that one of them was right.
    Or I have a thick corrector who just looks at my "etait" and says "Yup that's imperfect all right *tick*"

I'm pretty sure it did come up more than once, I underlined every imaprfait I could find in that section and etait was defo in there more than once. I hope my examiner does that too! xD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭DessieMG

what was the answer to the question about how the accident happened in the tape? i said 1)he didnt notice the lorry and 2)they were on a bridge (i heard the word pont i think somewhere)

also did meme suffice for a prepostion and is it true the etait was a trick and unacceptable for the imparfait?

also i did really badly in the written could i still get a good enough mark if the tape and the oral and comprehensions were good?

you heard rond-pont, roundabout !

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

THFC wrote: »

Came up 3 Times. . .all 3 times with plusque-parfait though. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭G.J.

I was looking for the marking scheme for the 2000 paper (asked for imparfait when plus-que-parfait was there) and failed, but I found the chief examiner's report! It has the poorly answered questions mentioned, and the imparfait one was NOT mentioned, so I think you're fine if you put down était. I put down fallait personally, wanted to reassure people though. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

. . .don't worry, I was on the brink of saying that the astronaut wanted to be an astronaut after a holiday on the moon. . .

Was the answer to that one after she saw the moon landing? Or after she saw the moon through a telescope? I figured it was one of them buti decided on moon landing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

When will the paper be online? All the others have been there as soon as I came home!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sligo.

i was going to put down fallait because i had a stange feeling eyait wouldnt be right but i just left it as etait...better be right :p i thought the 2nd comprehension was a bit crap compared to the 1st :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Belmono

Hi guys
    Just in response to an earlier question: ‘même’ can be many things (adjective, adverb and even a pronoun (!)) but a preposition it ain’t.

Sorry!

please say a preposition is something like "du"?? :p :L

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

WHAT! A! PAPER! Unbelievable. It was written for me! Easiest ever, NONE in my past papers were that simple! :D !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

sligo. wrote: »

Yeah that one caught me out too :P still though, what a paper. What a paper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 xxCookiexx

sligo. wrote: »

Yeah you're spot on!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭danoboy254

It was a really nice paper!!:D:D

I wasnt gonna count it but i bet it was way better than maths easily! :rolleyes:

was "dans" and answer for the preposition and "etait" for the l'imparfait

oh and did anyone else get C and then A in the fill-in-the-box questions?

xxCookiexx wrote: »
    Yeah you're spot on!:D

score!!! :D thank you :) i feel like God now, i rarely get those grammer points right (especially when one only studies their grammer for an hour in the morning before the exam;)) i was happy with French overall though and my Oral was a blast a few months ago so you'd never know how i'd do, got a C in the mock exam so i might come up a grade if i was lucky :) didn't particularly like the listening, some of it was okay but others, not so much!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

danoboy254 wrote: »

oh and did anyone else get C and then A in the fill-in-the-box questions?

Nooooooooo :( everyone got those but I think I got B and B!!

Was hoping for an A1/A2 as well :'(

I'm sure you do fine if thats all your worried about! its a little thing is all

Can anyone vouch for the "dans" as a preposition. It's killin me!

dont worry i got "b" for one of them, and possibly a "d" ha:p would'nt worry too much, its only 5 marks, you cant definately get an A without all those little bits!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Valin

Grammar answers were Fallait, and 'dans' is a perfectly acceptable preposition. It was basically sticking out on the page in that paragraph!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭michaelm82803

Ahhhh i got c and c :/ After reading all these comments i actually did worse than i thought! No A1 for me..
    Oh well, still a nice paper! :)

Valin wrote: »
    Grammar answers were Fallait, and 'dans' is a perfectly acceptable preposition. It was basically sticking out on the page in that paragraph!

THANKYOU! haha

ya it was blaring out, and thats why i got freaked out when people were talking about "du" instead. much obliged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 EsteemedEntity

Does "lui" get the marks for a preposition? Also, did the astronaut break her own arm or her brother's? Or was it a leg? :/

Advertisement