Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* French Higher Level Aftermath * (1 thread only please)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭IfUSeekAmy

Does "lui" get the marks for a preposition? Also, did the astronaut break her own arm or her brother's? Or was it a leg? :/

As far as I know lui is a pronoun....

Wouldn't imagine so? Maybe though, no expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Shayanzadeh

Here's some answer (if correct) to the listening:

Broke the brothers arm.
    When she saw man first step on the moon.
    She was the only woman out of the seven in the room.
    They toured the earth in 90 minutes.

He didn't want to return home immediately.
    He took her sisters car without permission when she was in Paris.
    He braked too late (guess)
    She left him a furious message on his phone
    He thinks its best if he gives her time, to calm down (guess)

He doesn't speak English.
    He doesn't have any qualifications.
    He was rude towards important clients.
    He was lazy.
    He left school for an apprenticeship. (guess)
    He has difficulty paying his rent.

He was asked to stop smoking in the train comportment.

I know it was an easy listening, so must people probably got the answers, which renders this useless :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ady_Irl

Just to clarify, "gardait" would also be acceptable for the imparfait section, and "de" would be acceptable for the preposition question. Lovely paper! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭foxymm

La moitié de la pile de documents

samapp wrote: »
    what was the lawyers reaction to the dog?

and

What was that answer to the question before the opinion 50 words thing in the same comprehension?

2. (i) Comment Nathan a-t-il réagi en voyant le chien?
      Il recula d'un pas. OR
      Une goutte de sueur glacée lui parcourir le dos. 5. (ii) Comment Nathan s'est-il rendu compte qu'il n'était pas seul dans la maison?
      Quelqu'un alluma une lumiere dans le bureau OR
      Goodrich se tenait sur le pas de la porte.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Consuelano

Multiple Choices:

Answers were 'C' and 'A'.

Preposition:

Answers were 'dans', 'meme', 'de', and 'a'.

Imparfait:

There was one plus-que-parfait at the start - 'etait deja plongee'. Don't worry about this though.

There were also THREE uses of the imparfait NOT including the pl-qu-parfait - 'fallait', 'gardait', and 'etait'

So if you wrote 'etait', you DEFINITELY got the marks.

samapp wrote: »
    what was the number in section 4 in listening! and in the second comprehension how do we know that the lawyer was almost "saisi"?? by the dog?

"Le jeune homme parvint a l'éviter de justesse"

de justesse - by a narrow margin, by a hair's breath.

In relation to même, I would be very surprised if it is accepted as a preposition.

In French, même is considered to be an adjective, adverb or pronoun. It is also used in many other expressions.

Indefinite adjective
    When used as an indefinite adjective, même expresses one of two things, depending on where it is placed:

A. Before the noun, même means same:
    C'est la même chose ! It's the same thing!
    J'ai lu le même livre. I read the same book.
    Il aime les mêmes programmes. He likes the same programs

B. After the noun or pronoun, même emphasizes that thing and means (one)self, exact, personnified:

Il a perdu la bague même. He lost the ring itself.
    Je veux le faire moi-même. (stressed pronoun) I want to do it myself.
    Elle est la gentillesse même. She is the epitome of kindness (is kindness personnified).

II. Indefinite pronoun
    Même as an indefinite pronoun means the same.
    C'est le même. It's the same.
    Elles sont toujours les mêmes. They're always the same.

III. Adverb
    As an adverb, même is invariable, emphasizes the word it modifies, and means even, (to go) so far as to.

Même Jacques est venu. Even Jacques came.
    Il avait même acheté un billet. He even went so far as to buy a ticket.
    Ils sont tous partis, même le bébé. They all left, even the baby.
    Je l'ai vu ici même. I saw it in this very spot.

IV. Related Expressions
    à même right on, in, from; in position
    de même the same (as a description)
    quand même even so, anyway
    tout de même even so

Ça revient au même. That amounts to the same thing.
    C'est du pareil au même. (inf) It's always the same;
    Six of one half a dozen of the other.

It is a prepositional phrase when used with à même de - être à ~ de faire to be able ou in a position to do.

Consider the extract it came from in the text: dans d'anciens conteneurs au Havre, et même dans des HLM ...

Here you have dans, which is a preposition right beside même. Two prepositions coming one after the other would not happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

He was smoking on the train compartment.

I know it was an easy listening, so must people probably got the answers, which renders this useless :p
    I thought it was because he asked the guy to stop smoking? Also don't be so sure it was that easy, infact I'm more concerned that it felt easier because the marking scheme no doubt will be a lot stricter.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Shayanzadeh

Cydoniac wrote: »
    I thought it was because he asked the guy to stop smoking? Also don't be so sure it was that easy, infact I'm more concerned that it felt easier because the marking scheme no doubt will be a lot stricter.

Sorry, meant to say that. Why isn't the paper up? It was easy enough, but literally had to guess some since I'd never heard some of the vocab. And as per usual, silly mistakes made :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

cocopopsxx wrote: »
    I cut out fallait and put in etait at the last moment! :C But sure, etait was present at a number of places in that section, one of it could correct!?!

Same :D

Ah well....it was a very nice paper. Listening was pretty easy- maybe got 1 or 2 wrong. 2nd comprehension could have been slightly dodgy but I doubt I got more than another 1 wrong after etait....pity I crossed out fallait :p

Preposition question was happy...I did get C and A but I thought I got them the opposite way around to how everyone is saying- but I doubt I got them both wrong.

Written pieces were handy too. Criminality, refereeing in sport % religion. Threw in a few subjunctives, kept the language fairly simple.

One thing....I mentioned Thierry Henry but I said it was a disgrace he used his leg to win the match for France when I meant hand.

How many marks would you lose for putting in jambe rather than main, do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

That what I was worried about, but it won't make much of a difference regarding the listening and reading, once you're right you're right, and a soft or hard marking scheme isn't going to change that. I'm going to get absolutely slaughtered for my first writing though (providing there is a strict marking scheme), I wrote on independence but I didn't have much to say on that so I started rambling on about fashion :eek::confused::o! The journal was solid, nothing brilliant but definitely B standard while my 3rd one on alcohol was brilliant, the amount of comprehensions I had done on drink/drugs/alcohol throughout the year was ridiculous, so it was just regurgitating stuff out. Hopefully I'll improve on last years B3 (which I expect to!) considering my oral went very well I thought. Anyways, hope for the best, expect the worst :)
    Well done everyone!

and btw, yes, I was being sarcastic in that other thread, thought that was obvious tho!

Fireball07 wrote: »
    One thing....I mentioned Thierry Henry but I said it was a disgrace he used his leg to win the match for France when I meant hand.

How many marks would you lose for putting in jambe rather than main, do you think?
    Doubt the examiner will care enough as long as the content is good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

I wrote the essay on the importance of independence, got two full pages on it but after that I got a bit lazy :/ hopefully i'll have done well.

If I put in about cyber-bullying into the facebook question, will that be okay? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

Aragneer wrote: »
    If I put in about cyber-bullying into the facebook question, will that be okay? :)

Of course. Sounds like a great point to me. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

MikeHough wrote: »
    thought i heard someting about mushrooms but said it surely couldnt be.
    who the fck picks mushrooms lik??????
    I do :p ... when I'm at home at the right time, and if I can find any ... modern farming methods unfortunately have made them scarce.

The taste of wild mushrooms as compared to the shop-bought ones is much the same as comparing Glenfiddich 12 year old malt to water, tbh.

It would be quite a common thing to do in France where they would be far more plentiful.
    MikeHough wrote: »
    Also I thought it was crazy how social networking actually DID come up.
    How could something like this be leaked without sec doing anything about it?
    It was leaked? I never heard anything about it anyway...
    It wasn't leaked, someone in the IoE who has a rep for making good guesses predicted e-bullying in particular / social networking in general and the word went round as gospel ... it was mentioned on boards a couple of times anyway.
    Fireball07 wrote: »
    Same :D
    :D Love it!!

(and on a more serious note, it's one tiny mistake, it's not going to have any major impact ... in fact, the giggle it will give the examiner will probably put him / her in such a good mood you'll probably make up the lost mark somewhere else! :p:))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭Holly91

is 'en' a preposition? :cool:

i was looking at the qst trying to figure out what they were and ended up putting that down.:confused:

unsure tho if its right :P

lovely paper tho very fair compared to previous years :rolleyes:

Oh man, just realised Vendredi does not mean thursday. My grade is looking more like a C every time :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭Holly91

Oh man, just realised Vendredi does not mean thursday. My grade is looking more like a C every time :(

ah stop analyzing your whole paper if you do of course it will seem like you did worst :rolleyes:

im sure you did great and got the grade you wanted! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 deao

nommm wrote: »
    Pour, a and du are the prepositions

My French teacher said par was right aswel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭higgz

ah balls, I said Par exemple :P

nommm wrote: »
    Pour, a and du are the prepositions

Du is not a preposition but pour is and so is par,goole it!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

^^

Meant to say de. ;) And obviously the three I posted aren't the only prepositions in the french language!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

:D Love it!!

(and on a more serious note, it's one tiny mistake, it's not going to have any major impact ... in fact, the giggle it will give the examiner will probably put him / her in such a good mood you'll probably make up the lost mark somewhere else! :p:))

Haha that's good. I know it seems small but it was like the major point of my final few sentences so I got slightly worried.

Still overall I'm happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 xxCookiexx

deao wrote: »
    Du is not a preposition but pour is and so is par,goole it!

Du IS a preposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 josephdaly111

Just looked at paper there- "était" is in the fourth section as an imparfait. Anyone else think they wrote way too much for the first written (the mandatory one)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

I nearly burst out laughing when I heard the first news report on the listening comp, I though it said he stabbed the passenger because he started smoking! :rolleyes:
    I stopped when I heard it the second time though.

higgz wrote: »
    ah balls, I said Par exemple :P

I'm sure u'll be fine mate,they'll have to give you half marks atleast! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 KoolAidRelic

Just looked at paper there- "était" is in the fourth section as an imparfait. Anyone else think they wrote way too much for the first written (the mandatory one)?

I wrote WAY too much for them all... 200,145,158,161

Advertisement