Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* French Higher Level Aftermath * (1 thread only please)

123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 PaddyP056

For the criminals essay, I just wrote about how all criminals in Ireland are foreigners turning saying that it was because we were racist but now the examiner is just gonna think Im a racist in thinking that....idiot!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

deao wrote: »
    They wont be that tight as to dock marks of ya for too much writting will they? :L i know they're meant to or whatever and it doesn't look goos but surely they know your only trying :L

They don't dock marks for them being too long, but the more you write, the more mistakes you're liable to make, therefore you could lose more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 canto464

For the question about what are the goverment doing to combat the student accomadation problem, could you say turning the old military barraks into accomadation even though it was a minister that said that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Dan2407

nollid wrote: »
    @electrictrad, re. plus-que-parfait:

Était déjà plongée and était classés are NOT examples of the plus-que-parfait. Neither plonger nor classer is conjugated with être. These are both examples of the past participle being used as an adjective, as in the English 'was plunged' as opposed to 'had plunged' ;)

In était plongée I agree with you, but I'd say était classés is actually in the passif of the plus-que-parfait i.e. the files were organised by someone (an action has occured) . . . not that it matters at all

I may have just taken grammar too far . . . sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Lads, I just realised that I took the imparfait out of the 2nd paragraph instead of the third. fml

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Belmono

Dan2407 wrote: »
    In était plongée I agree with you, but I'd say était classés is actually in the passif of the plus-que-parfait i.e. the files were organised by someone (an action has occured) . . . not that it matters at all

I may have just taken grammar too far . . . sorry!

The passif would actually have been 'avaient été classés'

Now THAT's taking grammar too far:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Bogger_92

Quite happy overall! Very nice paper! although I would be happier if I didnt muck up my oral! Oh man it was a total blank! I was just back from a medical interview with bristol uni and literally had a day to prepare! haha and I blanked :P

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

I was just wondering that can I still get an A if I didn't use many stand out phrases in the writing pieces? I threw in one or two here, but that's it, otherwise it was all simple French with a few sunjunctives. Is it possible to still get an A?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭higgz

cocopopsxx wrote: »
    I was just wondering that can I still get an A if I didn't use many stand out phrases in the writing pieces? I threw in one or two here, but that's it, otherwise it was all simple French with a few sunjunctives. Is it possible to still get an A?

I'd say so. I never try hard to use impressive language. They ask me to talk about an issue and I'll do so just like I would in English. I got over 80/100 in the mocks for the written. I also used some subjunctive too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

I was really tired during the exam and COULDN'T remember for the life of me if you put an "s" on the end of leur if the noun that comes after it is plural. I left it as not and I must have had "leur enfants" "leur ordinatures" etc written all over the place :( Obviously straight after the exam I realised how stupid I was and that was SO BLOODY OBVIOUS! :mad:

I was hoping for a B1 mimimum and now am so annoyed at how stupid I was not to agree them!

I thought the 1st comprehension was fine, the second one was a bit tricky, oral was great, aural was fine and the written expressions were ok except for that stupid grammar mistake!

Is there still a possibility I could get an A2/B1?

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭red_red_wine

I was really tired during the exam and COULDN'T remember for the life of me if you put an "s" on the end of leur if the noun that comes after it is plural. I left it as not and I must have had "leur enfants" "leur ordinatures" etc written all over the place :( Obviously straight after the exam I realised how stupid I was and that was SO BLOODY OBVIOUS! :mad:

I was hoping for a B1 mimimum and now am so annoyed at how stupid I was not to agree them!

I thought the 1st comprehension was fine, the second one was a bit tricky, oral was great, aural was fine and the written expressions were ok except for that stupid grammar mistake!

Is there still a possibility I could get an A2/B1?

:confused:

My teacher always tells the story of one of her students a few years ago, who throughout her entire paper had 'j'ai allée', which is about as large a mistake as it gets :P. She ended up getting 94% in her written paper :)

Tbh, I think we have to try and force ourselves to move on from these little mistakes. I spent the entire of Wednesday afternoon dwelling on the 20 marks I threw away in my French paper by somehow skipping comprehension questions.

In my Irish paper, I bizarrely decided in the last five minutes to change every ' an íomhá' to 'an t-íomhá' throughout my entire paper. That's at least thirty mistakes right there.

We all do stupid things when it comes to exams. I'm hoping that the examiners will put these kind of idiotic mistakes down to exam stress, if the overall standard of the paper is good :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

My teacher always tells the story of one of her students a few years ago, who throughout her entire paper had 'j'ai allée', which is about as large a mistake as it gets :P. She ended up getting 94% in her written paper :)

Tbh, I think we have to try and force ourselves to move on from these little mistakes. I spent the entire of Wednesday afternoon dwelling on the 20 marks I threw away in my French paper by somehow skipping comprehension questions.

In my Irish paper, I bizarrely decided in the last five minutes to change every ' an íomhá' to 'an t-íomhá' throughout my entire paper. That's at least thirty mistakes right there.

We all do stupid things when it comes to exams. I'm hoping that the examiners will put these kind of idiotic mistakes down to exam stress, if the overall standard of the paper is good :o

You're so so sweet thank you so much! :o:)

And the an t-íomha thing, it's like 10% for grammar in that WHOLE paper so if thats the only grammar mistake you have you're only going to lose like 1% :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Dan2407

Belmono wrote: »
    The passif would actually have been 'avaient été classés'

Now THAT's taking grammar too far:pac:

That'll teach me to try and be a smartass!

(Possibly in the imparfait passif)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭mockshelp

@LittleMissLost:
    They only count a mistake you make once. If you make the exact same mistake again they won't count it. That's what I heard once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Hopfully this will be the case. But they'll only give marks for something that's correct. After reading the Biology aftermath thread I discovered for a few questions I knew the answer but I put down a wrong answer.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

NotExactly wrote: »
    Hopfully this will be the case. But they'll only give marks for something that's correct. After reading the Biology aftermath thread I discovered for a few questions I knew the answer but I put down a wrong answer.:(
    We all do stupid things in exams. I'm sure they'll be accommodating and realise you do know the answer, just stressed, and will try compensate those lost marks elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭YodaBoy

nommm wrote: »
    Pour, a and du are the prepositions

Are you sure?!!

Is it not a word that located something ie."dans"??
    Well, thats what I said?..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

I had a nightmare about the French Leaving Cert last night..! It was very strange! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭YodaBoy

I had a nightmare about the French Leaving Cert last night..! It was very strange! :p

I might yet have nightmares about almost every other paper but french and english were dreams and I won't let you say a bad word about that beautiful paper! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

So how did people do in French?? Was delighted with a B1, all thanks to the easy paper of course:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

B1 but I'm slightly disappointed.

I'm sure if I look back through the thread I'll find a post from me saying I found it really easy and expected an A...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

B1 as well.

I really wanted an A2. I'm gonna check the script and see if i'm borderline enough to warrant an appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭higgz

A1 - delighted, it was my only A1.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

C1 :( My principal/french teacher basically said, "This is bull****" and wants to get everyones rechecked. In all fairness we put in a lot of effort all year and the highest being a B1 and the brainbox of the class getting a D1 sounds a bit dodgy to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

B1, also disappointed, felt I could've got an A, it was an easy paper but then again my written work wasn't brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Patri

A2 deligted :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

I got a C2. I'd been really worried about it because I need a C3 for my course so I was very happy to see C2 on the page. :D

Advertisement