Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop Repair - New HDD

• 15-06-2011 12:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭

I have a laptop that needs to have it's HDD replaced and windows re-installed onto it.
    Can anyone recommend a place that can do this for me at a reasonable cost? A 250GB HDD and Windows Vista re-loaded is what I am looking for. I don't have the disk for the windows but the licence key is on the PC.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

If you post your location we could probably recommend somewhere suitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Good lord don't go with Vista! But sure it's your choice.

If you wanted you could always download Ubuntu (it's free) and try out and install it?

You just download the 700MB iso file, burn it to a cd and put it in the laptop. It'll give you the option to run from cd or install. Run it from the disk and you can get the feel for it.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭hcnyla

Hi
    I'm located in the Greater Dublin area.

As I have the licence key for Vista thats why I am putting that back on. Any idea of costs to get the HDD installed and windows loaded?

Thanks

Hi
    I'm located in the Greater Dublin area.

As I have the licence key for Vista thats why I am putting that back on. Any idea of costs to get the HDD installed and windows loaded?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Probably 60 to 80 euro in a computer store, not including the cost of the hard drive itself. That should include install of os, drivers, updates, and a free or trial antivirus. You are basically paying for the time involved as it is not a difficult job per say. Get a price for the hd beforehand as you may be able to get it cheaper yourself i.e. ebay or komplette.
    You might get a local guy in the classified ads or someone advertising in a newsagent noticeboard to do it cheaper but it is not a job that would be done onsite so make sure you know who you are giving your laptop to.
    Is your own hdd definately smoked? I only ask as if it were bootable you could make the recovery disks and do the job yourself.
    Good Luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 scoobyjack

I realise you're probably asking because you're not technical at all, but some laptops are designed to make the hard drive VERY easily replacable, by anyone.
    It's usually two screws on the back and you're done - no messing with internals or anything like that.

If you find anyone who's a bit handy at all, they can do that bit. Then installing Vista is almost as easy as putting in the DVD and following the instructions...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

scoobyjack wrote: »
    I realise you're probably asking because you're not technical at all, but some laptops are designed to make the hard drive VERY easily replacable, by anyone.
    It's usually two screws on the back and you're done - no messing with internals or anything like that.

If you find anyone who's a bit handy at all, they can do that bit. Then installing Vista is almost as easy as putting in the DVD and following the instructions...

Good comment! Mind you if he/she is going with vista I would recommend a bit of extra ram.

If the OP could tell us the make and model of his/her machine that would be a help. In fact if the OP googles the make and model instructions for this operation will be available.

scoobyjack wrote: »

True. Just need one of those "jewellers" screwdrivers. The really small ones. Fiddly feckin' screws. The RAM\disk drive and Hard drive should be readily accessible from just unscrewing a few screws and removing a panel.

The HDD is usually in a little 'caddy' which you'll need to remove it from (yup more screwing) and then put the replacement in.

If you have any friends or know if you can get a vista rescue disk or full version off a friend (although it has to match the pro or home edition) you can use that and then change\update it with your key.

Thanks for the advice.
    I'd be able to replace the HDD myself no problem, however its' the loading of windows that would be the problem.

It's a Dell Inspiron 1525 with 4GB RAM

Anyone have any idea where I could get a home rescue edition from and I will do it myself??

hcnyla wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice.
    I'd be able to replace the HDD myself no problem, however its' the loading of windows that would be the problem.

It's a Dell Inspiron 1525 with 4GB RAM

Anyone have any idea where I could get a home rescue edition from and I will do it myself??

Ah you'll be able to load windows yourself. It'd just be a deal of sticking the disk in and clicking next a few times (be sure to set your language and locale, keyboard settings etc). And you're done! Haven't a clue where would be the best place to get it though, sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 scoobyjack

hcnyla wrote: »

Try sending a mail out to any of your friends who have a laptop? Odds are one of them has the Vista disk, whether they know it themselves or not...

P.S. I would HIGHLY recommend going this route and doing the installation part yourself - if you did pay someone to do it for you, there's no guarantee they won't just use a dodgy torrented/copied version, with unforseen future consequences!

chin_grin wrote: »
    Haven't a clue where would be the best place to get it though, sorry.

This is the bit thats the problem!! I would be able to manage the rest myself I'd say.

If anyone who is too shy to let me know where I might be able to source a Windows CD then by all means PM me.

Advertisement