Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking near the Galway Clinic

Options
  • 15-06-2011 12:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭

How much does the Galway Clinic charge for parking?
    I've been out that area the past few days and noticed cars parked on the pedestrian footpath and the grass verge along the access road between the roundabout and the Clinic.
    These were mostly vehicles with 10 & 11 reg numbers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Not sure how much they charge, but they have a free car park with shuttle bus service at the old furniture shop at Castlegar GAA club. A lot of the staff use it, but its open to visitors and patients too AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

1.50 per hour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

The pay car park is often very busy and sometimes fills up completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

Midweek, you will not get a space After around 8am. And the corpo love ticketing people parked on the grass verge. A lot of staff park at the old hotel and walk it this time of year (racing lodge, or whatever it's called this week)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Springerman

parking nippy enough at the actual carpark, gets full to capacity rapidly each day. However, there is indeed the shuttle service from the car park at the GAA pitch in Roscam (beside furniture store) runs 0645-2100 approx, and is indeed free to staff/visitors/patients;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

parking nippy enough at the actual carpark, gets full to capacity rapidly each day. However, there is indeed the shuttle service from the car park at the GAA pitch in Roscam (beside furniture store) runs 0645-2100 approx, and is indeed free to staff/visitors/patients;-)

+1

Shuttle goes around every 15 min or so.

Valerie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

ValerieR wrote: »
    +1

Shuttle goes around every 15 min or so.

How long does it take for the shuttle to make the journey? If one could walk, (no footpaths there I know and crossing a multi-lane roundabout) how long do you think it would take to walk this?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

How long does it take for the shuttle to make the journey? If one could walk, (no footpaths there I know and crossing a multi-lane roundabout) how long do you think it would take to walk this?
    Thanks

5 minutes max. Safer to get the bus over if you ask me.

TonyStark wrote: »
    Thats what I thought. Its a shame really. Galway Clinic is really cut off from the Doughiska/Roscam area. Amazing that pedestrian access was not considered during planning?

TonyStark wrote: »

Probably - It's about 800m away (map)

But the shuttle is easier indeed I wouldn't fancy crossing that roundabout.

• Advertisement

Thats what I thought. Its a shame really. Galway Clinic is really cut off from the Doughiska/Roscam area. Amazing that pedestrian access was not considered during planning?

Or a bigger car park .... :rolleyes:

Valerie

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Michael Angelo.

snubbleste wrote: »
    These were mostly vehicles with 10 & 11 reg numbers.

I only ever seen "vehicles" with one reg number, must go see these multi reg number cars!! any pics???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Was there again this morning. I really need to bring a camera next time.
    Cars blocking the footpath and the grass verge is completely mucked up. The grass verge has some elevation in parts and there was a jeep parked up on it at a 35-45 degree angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

The Council are trying to close this handy park & ride.

mcdonnell.jpg

Does JustMary know about that timetable? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

dilallio wrote: »
    The Council are trying to close this handy park & ride.

Yeah, I spotted that during the week. Am guessing there must be more too it, like the council trying to get them to run a bus from town.

Apparently they wanted to build a bigger car-park to start with, but the planning laws said "no". (Hmm, realising I picked that up somewhere. not sure how true it is.)

JustMary wrote: »
    Yeah, I spotted that during the week. Am guessing there must be more too it, like the council trying to get them to run a bus from town.
    Apparently they wanted to build a bigger car-park to start with, but the planning laws said "no". (Hmm, realising I picked that up somewhere. not sure how true it is.)

I think it's more to do that the Council have to enforce this non-planning stuff. Remember there was a carpark near the Oniplex charging less than the DykeRoad car park and the Council closed it down because of no planning application despite it being a success.

snubbleste wrote: »
    I think it's more to do that the Council have to enforce this non-planning stuff. Remember there was a carpark near the Oniplex charging less than the DykeRoad car park and the Council closed it down because of no planning application despite it being a success.

Agree they have to enforce it. And lets face it, we slam them when they don't (ref the thread about Rahoon bus depot).

But they're left with the problem of what all the people currently using the P&R do with their cars. Cover the streets of Roscam, perhaps?

JustMary wrote: »

If the City Council upgraded pedestrian facilities in that area - people travelling from town could at least use the NO 9 to get to the Galway Clinic.

I think you are right re bigger car-park; I dont think they where able to get the proposed land rezoned for the Galway City Council Development Plan 2011-2017 that was adopted by the elected members of Galway City Council on 25th January 2011. Thats why I think they had to go down the Multi Story Car park route on the existing parking surface area (more expensive). Am open to correction on this.
    See link:
    http://gis.galwaycity.ie/ePlan/InternetEnquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=FS9711
    and

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

Sorry to bump an old thread but does anybody know if the have build a bigger car park now?

Does the shuttle bus still run?

Ilyushin76 wrote: »
    Sorry to bump an old thread but does anybody know if the have build a bigger car park now?

Does the shuttle bus still run?

Yes, the Clinic have a brand new (paying) multi-story carpark. It's much easier to park there now.
    I don't think they have the park-and-ride system any longer.

Hth
    V

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

ValerieR wrote: »
    I don't think they have the park-and-ride system any longer.

The park and ride was a temporary facility operated while they had issues with the capacity of their parking. It was stopped (per the permission they got from the council) when the multi story was built.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭sorsha

If the City Council upgraded pedestrian facilities in that area - people travelling from town could at least use the NO 9 to get to the Galway Clinic.

This should be done, I was trying to get there once walking -no way or you can get yourself killed, its ridiculous!

sorsha wrote: »
    This should be done, I was trying to get there once walking -no way or you can get yourself killed, its ridiculous!

Try using the 410 next time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭sorsha

antoobrien wrote: »
    Try using the 410 next time.

I used to live in Doughiska at that time, so I should get back to town on no 409 to get no 410? :) (or wait on no 410,when it shoudl be just 5 minutes walk from Doughiska)
    Its really hard to live in this town without a car and thats why traffic is so bad.

-here
    http://goo.gl/maps/p6Psf -end of walking!

I used to live in Doughiska at that time, so I should get back to town on no 409 to get no 410? :) (or wait on no 410,when it shoudl be just 5 minutes walk from Doughiska)
    Its really hard to live in this town without a car and thats why traffic is so bad.

-here

So no path is too dangerous now:rolleyes: However did I walk to school when I was a kid and there no footpath my side of the school.

-here

Galway Clinic is like an island. It is surrounded by dual carraigeways on 3 sides. Impossible to walk to it from Doughiska or Roscam.
    Re BUS: frequency of services is an issue as well. 410 goes every hour but the 409 is every 15mins from 07h00 -19h00.

Galway Clinic is like an island. It is surrounded by dual carraigeways on 3 sides. Impossible to walk to it from Doughiska or Roscam.
    Re BUS: frequency of services is an issue as well. 410 goes every hour but the 409 is every 15mins from 07h00 -19h00.

When they changed the bus routes, the original proposal was for the 402 to go out to the Clinic (what a wonderful idea ... all hospitals in galway on the one bus route!) .. but it got changed in between the proposal shown to the council and the one that got implemented.

No idea why.

And I agree re it being an island ... one of the worst pieces of planning in a city full of candidates!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

<nothing to see here folks>

Advertisement