Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking near the Galway Clinic

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

biko wrote: »
    Fascinating stuff

The real name was Les Modes Modernes
    http://www.hetireland.org/index.php?page=ireland_hats

huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Oops my bad, wrong thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭sorsha

antoobrien wrote: »
    So no path is too dangerous now:rolleyes: However did I walk to school when I was a kid and there no footpath my side of the school.

When I was a kid there were perverts and exhibitionists behind every tree and it doesn't mean it was right :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

sorsha wrote: »
    When I was a kid there were perverts and exhibitionists behind every tree and it doesn't mean it was right :rolleyes:

No need to go down this road. :D
    The question to ask - can somebody in a wheelchair, or buggy or a child of 10 year's of age with their parents make there way from Roscam to the Galway Clinic on foot. A 10 min walk (or roll) at the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

The question to ask - can somebody in a wheelchair, or buggy or a child of 10 year's of age with their parents make there way from Roscam to the Galway Clinic on foot. A 10 min walk at the most.

Somebody in a wheelchair can't get past Castlegar Hurlling Club (or at least that's what they're being told).

• Advertisement

When they changed the bus routes, the original proposal was for the 402 to go out to the Clinic (what a wonderful idea ... all hospitals in galway on the one bus route!) .. but it got changed in between the proposal shown to the council and the one that got implemented.

No idea why.

And I agree re it being an island ... one of the worst pieces of planning in a city full of candidates!

Sounds like a good idea alright. All 4 hospitals would have a pretty large workforce.

What has "right" got to do with it?

We've grown soft and complain at the sight of any variety of adversity instead of just getting on with it.

Btw we had those hanging around as well, but they seem to be as scared of us as we should have been of them.

The question to ask - can somebody in a wheelchair, or buggy or a child of 10 year's of age with their parents make there way from Roscam to the Galway Clinic on foot. A 10 min walk (or roll) at the most.

The answer is -not only disabled or a child -nobody can get there safe on foot! :(

The answer is -not only disabled or a child -nobody can get there safe on foot! :(

Exactly - expert perhaps fit young lads like antoobrien who can candle crossing multilane roundabouts(with slips) that does not have footpaths.

Exactly - expert perhaps fit young lads like antoobrien who can candle crossing multilane roundabouts(with slips) that does not have footpaths.

Why not, I've been handling Briarhill with buggies sans tunnel (without paths were I was going) since it was built.

• Advertisement

What has "right" got to do with it?

We've grown soft and complain at the sight of any variety of adversity instead of just getting on with it.

Btw we had those hanging around as well, but they seem to be as scared of us as we should have been of them.

Some time ago I have decided I will try to live without car here, as I didnt need it to get to work, only from time to time and then I realized that people who were planning this town probably never ever move their a.... from car.
    Seriously -its a nightmare.
    Still I can't belive it sometimes -there are no trafiic lights around big school like GMIT, no traffic lights here:
    http://goo.gl/maps/nhCNi and in many many more spots,
    I want to walk and cycle, for health, for saving time and money and doing that I feel like an alien in this Town. :(
    I am not soft, I only want to be safe!

Why not, I've been handling Briarhill with buggies sans tunnel (without paths were I was going) since it was built.

Sure you where probably fitter and younger back then? Try looking at the world through other peoples eyes. Take your own family as a starting point. Can you imagine your parents, grandparents being able to walk across the roundabout at Galway Clinic?

Some time ago I have decided I will try to live without car here, as I didnt need it to get to work, only from time to time and then I realized that people who were planning this town probably never ever move their a.... from car.
    Seriously -its a nightmare.

Funny, I said the same thing about cars when living in Dublin. While the bus network is by and large grand, some of the routes make Galway look world class.
    Still I can't belive it sometimes -there are no trafiic lights around big school like GMIT, no traffic lights here:
    http://goo.gl/maps/nhCNi and in many many more spots,

I'm trying to remember if there were lights there in the 80s. Thank f**K there aren't now, the lights at the moneen had made a bad situation worse.
    I want to walk and cycle, for health, for saving time and money and doing that I feel like an alien in this Town. :(
    I am not soft, I only want to be safe!

FFS don't give me that safety lark, I walk all the time in areas where there are no paths. Your problem is that you don't know how to handle yourself, not that the place isn't safe.

Cool, maybe you are a

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=traceur ,but not everyone is and I witnessed a person (my friend) beeing hit by car years ago -still in front of my eyes,so no thank you, I need a proper crossing!

Sure you where probably fitter and younger back then? Try looking at the world through other peoples eyes. Take your own family as a starting point. Can you imagine your parents, grandparents being able to walk across the roundabout at Galway Clinic?

I'm not that old and I'm fitter now than I was then, the difference being I have no younger siblings to push around in a buggy now.

Btw my grandparents are dead, but my parents regularly walk the area.

FFS don't give me that safety lark, I walk all the time in areas where there are no paths. Your problem is that you don't know how to handle yourself, not that the place isn't safe.

:) wow - I cant handle myself, ok so.
    If you read the news,try to count how many walkers were killed around here recently.

Cool, maybe you are a

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=traceur ,but not everyone is and I witnessed a person (my friend) beeing hit by car years ago -still in front of my eyes,so no thank you, I need a proper crossing!

Not particularly skilled, just keep my eyes open and judge distances and speed and such.

I have been knocked by cars twice while cycling, it hasn't stopped me or changed my opinions about how safe/unsafe cycling is.

Now how did we get away from parking onto this?

I suugest if you feel that strongly start a new thread, it's not a community watch thread.

Now how did we get away from parking onto this?

How? If there was/is no parking,they should make it easy to access by foot, simple.
    Its a disgrace that person who is maybe not feeling that well (going to the clinic) must go through this:

http://goo.gl/maps/xGF3r

How? If there was/is no parking,they should make it easy to access by foot, simple.
    Its a disgrace that person who is maybe not feeling that well (going to the clinic) must go through this:

The lady in the picture (trying to figure out if she's middle aged or it's just the jacket) doesn't seem to have a problem, and she had to go from Roscam direction across the slip to get there.

Perhaps the situation is just a little bit less acute than is being suggested?

The lady in the picture (trying to figure out if she's middle aged or it's just the jacket) doesn't seem to have a problem, and she had to go from Roscam direction across the slip to get there.

Perhaps the situation is just a little bit less acute than is being suggested?

I don't really understand whats your point,its bad and there is no doubt about it, if you are happy to run between cars- feel free, not everyone is willing to try.

• Advertisement

I don't really understand whats your point,its bad and there is no doubt about it,

My point is that the person in the picture navigated their way across from at least Doughiska to the roundabout, across the slip, across the northbound carriageway to the median.

Of course the alternative is that they came from roscam, walked to the roundabout and crossed the R338 (4 lanes), then the northbound carriageway.

So there's at least one other person who doesn't think that it is as unsafe as is being described.
    if you are happy to run between cars- feel free, not everyone is willing to try.

I have a problem with my ankles (tendons) that makes sudden spurts of speed problematic, so I haven't ran between cars in years.

At this stage we're just going to have to agree to disagree. Or we could arrange to meet and see whom is actually a bigger danger to themselves crossing the road, since you seem to think I put my health in danger.

I'm not that old and I'm fitter now than I was then, the difference being I have no younger siblings to push around in a buggy now.

Btw my grandparents are dead, but my parents regularly walk the area.

With repsect - can you imagine your grandparents before they passed away being able to negotiate that junction on foot safely and in comfort at any hour of the day or night?

My point is that the person in the picture navigated their way across from at least Doughiska to the roundabout, across the slip, across the northbound carriageway to the median.

That she "navigated her way" doesn't mean this is the way it should be in year 2013 civilized country!

I probably could "navigate my way" through Connemara at night in stormy weather if I had too! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

Galway Clinic is like an island. It is surrounded by dual carraigeways on 3 sides. Impossible to walk to it from Doughiska or Roscam.
    And I agree re it being an island ... one of the worst pieces of planning in a city full of candidates!
    It's a disgrace that this was granted planning permission in this location in the first place. But remember that this site had to be re-zoned (by the City/County Councillors) in order to get permission. I remember Jimmy Sheehan moaning on local radio about what a loss it would be to Galway if it didn't happen etc. etc.

The zoning should not have been changed east/south of those dual carriageways.

But then the cost price of the site would have been far more than land bought at agricultural prices :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

We only want clients/patients who have a car

Edit: or are willing to slum it in a scheduled bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

I thought the clinic had a shuttle bus service.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

HondaSami wrote: »
    I thought the clinic had a shuttle bus service.

Had is the operative (no pun intended) word. It only ran until they got their new car park.

I actively discourage anyone trying to walk from Doughiska / Roscam to the clinic, it's a totally unsafe thing to do IMHO - and according to many of the people I know who live around there.

I spend a couple of years working in an industrial estate that required me to cross a multi-lane RAB including dual-carriageway, and am totally grateful that the intersection has been signalized. Based on my experiences there, I would never recommend walking this type of area without at least footpaths. Far, far too dangerous.

Sorsha - I also choose to live here without a car (although I do rent one for the weekend occasionally). As much as anything, it's cheaper this way. However most Irish people think I'm just a crazy foreigner, they can't imagne doing it. Luckily this doesn't worry me a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

Had is the operative (no pun intended) word. It only ran until they got their new car park.

I actively discourage anyone trying to walk from Doughiska / Roscam to the clinic, it's a totally unsafe thing to do IMHO - and according to many of the people I know who live around there.

I was not aware it was finished, no way would i walk on that road or try cross the roundabout. I know there are buses but they might not always suit people's appointment's.

Advertisement