Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from Mountain to Road bike

Options
  • 15-06-2011 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I've been commuting on a hardtail mountain bike for about 7 years and I spend as much time as possible off-road on my full-susser.

With a milestone birthday approaching, I've been thinking of treating myself by ditching my hardtail and upgrading to a decent road bike to make my commute more comfortable. I may eventually aim to do 4 - 5 hour spins at the weekend, but at the moment it's primarily for commuting that this will be used for. The road distance I cover is between about 70 - 100 miles a week, depending on my mood, weather etc.

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but I'm looking for some advice on what to expect in terms of adjusting to a road bike, as the last time I cycled one was back in 1988 – specifically -

1) Brakes: Is there an enormous difference between the power of hydraulic disk brakes and road bike brakes?

2) Geometry: Does it take long to get used to the more aerodynamic position of a road bike?

3) Clothing: I don't do lycra. Will I look like an inbred yokel if I wear my mtb gear on a road bike?

4) Pedals. Are SPDs acceptable on a road bike or would I be better off investing in road bike-specific pedals?

I don't want to add to the many, many "what bike" threads here, but if anyone could help me pick between a Cube Peloton or a Canyon roadlite 6.0 I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,
    Julio

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

I commuted on a hybrid with mechanical disks (Avid BB7) for the past two years, and I can tell you that there is a big difference in braking performance on road caliper brakes. The caliper brakes aren't bad by any means, you just have to get used to not being able to stop on a dime - need to allow for a greater braking distance. The difference is probably more pronounced coming from hydraulic disks, but you'll get used to road brakes soon enough. I've yet to find myself in a situation where they couldn't stop me :)

SPD pedals will be absolutely fine. I have a pair on my commuter and am hard pressed to tell the difference between them and the SPD-SL on my road bike. Road pedals probably anchor you to the bike better, but I've never managed to rip my foot out of the SPD's even when putting down the horsepower sprinting away from traffic.

You'll be grand in MTB gear when commuting, and probably on weekend spins too. You may get the odd sideways glance from the snobs, but that's their problem not yours! Wear whatever you're comfortable with - you may find the MTB gear getting uncomfortable on a road bike saddle after 3hrs and give the lycra a go, or you may be perfectly fine with what you've got.

Going between the two bikes, the Canyon has a better spec and imo looks way better so I'd go with that one. Enjoy the bike when you get it :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

1) Brakes: Is there an enormous difference between the power of hydraulic disk brakes and road bike brakes?
    Never used disk brakes, but you will soon get used to road brakes
    2) Geometry: Does it take long to get used to the more aerodynamic position of a road bike?
    You may need to experiment a bit, but using the hoods allows a relatively upright position, and you might want to start with the stem pointing slightly upwards - If you're used to riding a bike your body should quickly adapt, although there may be an ache or two to start off with
    3) Clothing: I don't do lycra. Will I look like an inbred yokel if I wear my mtb gear on a road bike?
    Yes, but you do already :p
    4) Pedals. Are SPDs acceptable on a road bike or would I be better off investing in road bike-specific pedals?
    You should be fine with the SPDs - see how you get on. You may feel the "need" to upgrade later though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

3) Clothing: I don't do lycra.
    You will my friend, you will.

Canyon.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭munsterleinster

Depends on the quality of the components fitted. My old bike had cheap tektro brakes and they weren't good. The new one with 105 brakes is shockingly good in the dry and ok in the wet.

There is a relaxed road position and a race type geometry. My bike seems to be in the more relaxed categry so more comfy.
    Main difference is you're not as stretched out and handlebars would be a bit higher with the longer head tube. Most bikes less than a grand would be in the relaxed category. A lot over a grand are too!

Wear whatever you feel comfy in... Feck what everyone else thinks (I look ridiculous in lycra, but still wear it:P)

For the level of cycling I do, I prefer to walk like a human being so use SPD and mountainbike shoes.
    As it sounds like you already have them, why change for now. Upgrade later?

I don't want to add to the many, many "what bike" threads here, but if anyone could help me pick between a Cube Peloton or a Canyon roadlite 6.0 I'd be very grateful.
    I'll leave someone else to answer this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

1) How much braking power do you need to lock up slick tyres on tarmac? I think you'll run out of available traction before you run out of braking power!
    2) depends on flexibility I suppose, you can always flip the stem etc.
    3) Leave the armour and the full face at home :D;)
    4) I always use MTB pedals. But with stiff sole shoes, not the runners-with-spd recess type. Apparently if the soles are not stiff enough the platform of MTB pedals is too small to be comfortable for long spins. I never had an issue with stiff-soles + MTB pedals out as far as 160km.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Not sure, but this thread suggests certain road bike brakes suffer badly in the wet. I'm guessing hydraulic discs would fare way better.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭sparks24

get the shorts with that padding or your ass will be bits!!!

i laughed at the man in the shop when he suggested i get them and he smiled i bet he seeing it a thousand times, i was back in to get them a few days later

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭julio_iglayzis

Thanks a million folks, there's very helpful info here.

I do wear a padded liner short underneath my baggies, but I'm starting to feel like that the full-on lycra option is my inevitable fate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

You will my friend, you will.

Canyon.

+1

Advertisement