Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bretons looking for an old friend who worked at the GPO

Options
  • 15-06-2011 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

My brother Patrick and I, from Brittany, are looking for an old friend, called Desmond Byrne. Unfortunately there are a lot of Desmond Byrne in the irish phone book, we tried but none is 'ours". He used to live in Bray in the 1970s, working at the GPO. I do hope that someone will read this, and understand my unperfect English. We don't even know if Desmond is still alive. He could now be around 58 or 60 years old. If it may help : we were friends with Anthony Butler, from Dublin (tragically dead in december 2009). and also with uilleann piper Dick Grant from Shankill (close to Dublin) I hope someone will be abble to give this search a 'happy end'. Can you help ? If so, thank you so much.:) Marie

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

you should also try the wicklow forum, as bray is in wicklow and shankill would also be closer to wicklow then the city centre.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=935

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

You should also try writing to the GPO.
    The GPO,O,Connell St,Dublin 1
    They may be able to pass on a letter for you if they still have a forwarding address.
    It's possible the person is still in the employment of An Post!

Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

A friend of mine works with An Post (although not in the GPO) - I will ask him to see if he can be of any help and get back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mariebrittany

Thankyou very much Irishbird, Sundew and Tusky (and others maybe coming while I'm answering !). It's very kind of you answering so quickly and giving a real help ! Irishbird : I posted a message on Wicklow forum at the same time I posted on the Dublin one.
    Once again, thankyou very much. Or as we say in breton : trugarezh ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mariebrittany

PS : I went and see the answers on the Wiclow forum : they say "closed due to data protection". How can it be ??? I want to precise (I thought it was cliear) that we are not asking people to give us a private address of our friend (of course)! What we thought is that people (or institutions) who could know him would let him know that we are searching
    I'm very surprised about this "closing due to data protection". May someone explain to me what is the matter ? Thankyou very much

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I know someone who works in the GPO, I'll forward him a link to this thread.
    Hopefully he'll know someone who can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

The Pipers Club in Henrietta St off Dorset St might be able to help? They're the biggest club of uilleann pipers.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

PS : I went and see the answers on the Wiclow forum : they say "closed due to data protection". How can it be ??? I want to precise (I thought it was cliear) that we are not asking people to give us a private address of our friend (of course)! What we thought is that people (or institutions) who could know him would let him know that we are searching
    I'm very surprised about this "closing due to data protection". May someone explain to me what is the matter ? Thankyou very much

i dont know why it was locked in the wicklow forum, have asked a c-mod to look into it.

i am from bray myself will ask the parents at the weekend if they know the person

Advertisement