Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfinished estates in cavan

Options
  • 15-06-2011 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi. I am currently living in an estate in Co Cavan that is complete in terms of houses built (a handful of which are unsold), but unfinished in terms of roads, and other issues like border fencing etc. The company that developed and built the estate is not in liquidation or receivership, but of course is showing no signs of completing the estate to a level that would satisfy planning permission (or indeed the residents). The major issue is the safety of the road surface and footpaths etc. We are doing due diligence in terms of formal contact with developer requesting closure etc., but in the interest of further preparation.... I'd like to see if I can get some input, or generate some momentum.
    There are a couple of things that I'm looking for here:
    1. Does anyone out there have any experiences to share (successful or otherwise) in this area?
    2. Has anyone involved the Cavan county council in similar cases, be it in discussion about bonds lodged or anything else?
    3. Does anyone know what powers any official authority has over developers in such matters?
    4. Are there any residents associations in the county that would be interested in working together in an effort to bring pressure to bear on authorities such as the Co Co or the HSA if that is appropriate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Had the same issue in a housing estate at the back of the Kesh. My estate was finished but the one leading into it had not finished the roads, lights or grass areas.

The council where useless. No one could tell me about bonds. Cause the developer had houses yet to sell the council could not talk over the estate, sure what is there to take over.

I tried the local politicians but again useless. I tried contacting the developer direct, no use either.

After 5 years it was finally finished off. He was under no pressure to get it done. Most if not all of the house in the development are rented so they did not care. Between the two estates over 90% where rented so not resident association could be set up as the owners could not be identified and contacted.

So sit tight and look at the mess until the developer gets the spare cash and the will to finish what they started.

Best of luck but I was blocked at every turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭holuc

A residents assoc was set up in our estate to organise grass cutting (in our 'fully landscaped' estate.. just grass no tress or shrubs is all he done) as the builder wasn't willing to do it anymore.

He said at the time he would meet the assoc and discuss any issues they had... won't even meet them now.

He told the assoc he would put the final layer of tar on this summer but now the latest is that the council are holding onto his bonds and won't give them back until the road is finished but he says he needs the bonds to pay for it to be finished!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 BreffniEstate

holuc,
    Do you think that your residents association would be interested in pursuing the council as part of a group effort to apply pressure to the developers? I'm just shaking the bushes right now to see if there is a more united front that various associations could put to the Co Co....

Im not on the assoc board so im not in a position to say. They are still pretty much finding their feet. Getting the grass cut took a few weeks to sort out so they still on a learning curve. The developer is still in the estate at least once a week checking his empty houses. I think its just a case of getting round a table with him but pinning him down seems to be the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 BreffniEstate

Thanks Holuc, it would be good to know if you make any progress. Just one thing I'd say on contacting developers...registered post is vital....

• Advertisement

holuc wrote: »
    A residents assoc was set up in our estate to organise grass cutting (in our 'fully landscaped' estate.. just grass no tress or shrubs is all he done) as the builder wasn't willing to do it anymore.

He said at the time he would meet the assoc and discuss any issues they had... won't even meet them now.

He told the assoc he would put the final layer of tar on this summer but now the latest is that the council are holding onto his bonds and won't give them back until the road is finished but he says he needs the bonds to pay for it to be finished!!:eek:

Op

If the council can not get him to finish the estate and they hold his bonds then what point is there pursuing him directly?

I understand the need to force the issue but in all honesty will you get anywhere?

der more issues dan just the road he has to sort out i.e public lighting not fully working, builders compound starting to become overgrown and is unsightly, his empty houses staring to look grubby etc small things on their own but they all mount up.

Its in his best interests to have the place looking as well as possible if it can help him sell more houses.

I had the same issues.

Im just wondering if your better pushing the council rather than the builder.

Why will the council not use the bond? Or have they spent it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

i hate to be a vulture lads, but is there any of them site fencings knocking about your estatates, im looking for a dozen or so, enough to make a dog run and a run around a chicken coop.. fuggit might as well start lift the detritous of the ghost estates and make use of them!"

Advertisement