Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obscure Subjects. . .

• 15-06-2011 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

Just wondering what unusual subjects people are doing. . .as in, subjects not done by most people. . .

. . .reading last year's figures online. . .only 30 people in the entire countries did Higher Level Agricultural Economics. . .138 did HL Latin, 178 did HL Italian, 29 did HL Dutch, 49 did HL Portuguese, ect. . .

The closest I get is Applied Maths. . .with over 1200 HL Candidates last year. . :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 kt.alice

Where are these figures? I'd like to see! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

Found this pdf attached online, probably on the SEC Website. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Two of the girls in my year are doing Lithuanian. I know a few people doing Latin as well. I'm doing mostly standard subjects myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Phys-Chem with a cool 355 people:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Around 200 doing Italian

Would like to see more schools offer this and not just French and German which most schools and indeed colleges have as the only options

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

HL Japanese, 143 last year total :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭G.J.

DCG is my obscure subject!

That's an interesting (and reassuring) table actually. There's very few people failing any subjects, and the amount of people in total that are doing maths is surprising. Only just over 8,000. =S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

G.J. wrote: »

That's an interesting (and reassuring) table actually. There's very few people failing any subjects, and the amount of people in total that are doing maths is surprising. Only just over 8,000. =S
    That's only higher level!

Classics is my most obscure one. 738 last year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

G.J. wrote: »

The table is just for Higher Level subjects :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

kt.alice wrote: »
    Classics is my most obscure one. 738 last year :)

And this is something you study in your own time?
    Did you have an interest in this area or was it for "easy" points?

Just interested to know:)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭G.J.

flyaway. wrote: »
    The table is just for Higher Level subjects :)
    THFC wrote: »
    That's only higher level!

Yep, just thought that there. Thanks! XD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

English is pretty obscure...I mean who cares about Poetry? ;)

mikemac wrote: »

Classics is decidedly not "easy points!" Sure have another look at that table! No, I did it in school. Though there were only four of us in the class :rolleyes: Definitely my most interesting subject though!

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

My Friend is doing Dutch, only 29 people did it last year! I think it has the lowest amount of people

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

My most obscure is Spanish and that's like 2059 people... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 cellery

._. wrote: »
    HL Japanese, 143 last year total :cool:

Me too! Hi five!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭CdeP

mikemac wrote: »

As kt.alice already said, Classics is far from easy. It's the only subject I do (did, even) where critical thinking is essential in order to do well. Not one for the rote learners.

I also did it in school (only five in the class) and I'd definitely recommend Classics to anyone considering it. It was my favourite subject by some distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

CdeP wrote: »
    As kt.alice already said, Classics is far from easy. It's the only subject I do (did, even) where critical thinking is essential in order to do well. Not one for the rote learners.

I also did it in school (only five in the class) and I'd definitely recommend Classics to anyone considering it. It was my favourite subject by some distance.

Would it be a hard subject to take up outside school?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭CdeP

C__ wrote: »
    Would it be a hard subject to take up outside school?

Would you be doing it by yourself, C? If so then I'd say it could be. Even with a great teacher I initially found Classics tough. With Classics essay technique and structure is really just as important as knowledge of the content. This is one area that could be tough to prefect without the help of a teacher.

If it's something you're passionate about or have an interest in, though, I'd say give it a go. I always found studying Alexander, the Odyssey, etc. to be a welcome respite from studying the subjects I didn't find particularly interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I remember seeing in 2009 there was one person in the country doing ordinary agricultural economics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Platinum2010

Religion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 PaddyP056

Im doing latin, have the exam on wednesday then im freeeee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Shiroki

I was going to do Dutch but I was too lazy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 48 CPFC IRL

CdeP wrote: »
    Would you be doing it by yourself, C? If so then I'd say it could be. Even with a great teacher I initially found Classics tough. With Classics essay technique and structure is really just as important as knowledge of the content. This is one area that could be tough to prefect without the help of a teacher.

If it's something you're passionate about or have an interest in, though, I'd say give it a go. I always found studying Alexander, the Odyssey, etc. to be a welcome respite from studying the subjects I didn't find particularly interesting.

Very true i actually enjoyed reading Alexander The Odyssey and The Aeneid as there novels not school books but alot depends on the 4 sections you pick some are alot longer and harder than others Augustan Writers and Greek Art are both quite easy and very short but not many do them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Am I the only one who thinks Classics is easy? It's my only obscure subject but Physics is my second most obscure. I like the stats for Classics and apparently females do better :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Platinum2010

Aoifums wrote: »
    females do better :D

thats not just in obscure subjects Aoif :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

thats not just in obscure subjects Aoif :D

I never realised how large the gap was. I've heard that we do better but I didn't realise how much better females seem to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Aoifums wrote: »
    I didn't realise how much better females seem to do.

At the Leaving Cert and in the kitchen yeah :pac: but males are generally more successfull in life and are way better at sport.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

NotExactly wrote: »
    At the Leaving Cert and in the kitchen yeah :pac: but males are generally more successfull in life and are way better at sport.:D

Would love to report this.. But Randy is a man..! :( :P

Advertisement