Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed

Options
  • 15-06-2011 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Just looking for some advice on my situation.

Myself and my bf have been living in a rented house since Aug 10. The house is fab so no complaints there.

The boiler for gas is in our bedroom in the wardrobe and around February time I noticed the sticker on it said next service due Feb 10. The prospect of a gas leak is very scary (especially as 7 months pregnant now) so got on to agent about it when he was around for a check in March. Agent said he would speak to LL and get back to me. Weeks passed no word so I got on to agent who said LL wanted prices before service could be carried out. Nothing was done for another few weeks making boiler now well overdue service. Agent eventually rang and said he was waiting on a friend of his to qualify as plumber and wanted to give him a job. Was not too happy about this delay but left it for then.

Anyway service eventually done yesterday. Myself and bf out all day and get home about 7 o clock.

Hit with wave of gas as soon as door is opened. Whole house stinks and is inhabitable. Luckily my parents live nearby so go to stay there. No hope of staying in that house being pregnant.

Leak fixed later that night after we have had to leave all windows open and no alarm on and leave the house. Plumber also says he found a leak while there earlier. No idea how long it has been going on.

No apology / responsibility claimed by either agent or plumber.

We had said we would stay on for another year as baby due/ lease up in August. Disgusted with the treatment we got and confused as to what to do next??

Sorry for long post :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved from East forum. The OP is looking for advice on whether they should move out of their current property based on the circumstances.

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

As far as i can see you have two options.

1. Renew your lease in August and stay on in the house (but know that you may have difficulty getting things done by LL)

2. Move house, rent somewhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Somekindanut

I'm very upset at LL's lack of consideration for me and my baby. Without any kind of gas now for god knows how long :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

We found a gas leak in our last house by fluke i.e. living there 3 wks and the hob exploded on me whilst cooking because of clogged up dirt. We had all been ill the previous weeks, couldnt smell for the life of me so I called bord gais to make sure the gas wasnt left on as the buttons all blew off.

Anyway turned out there had been a leak behind the fire, when we moved in the fire was off so we turned it on, liking our nice warm fires in the winter and lo and behold it was turned off for a reason.

We did not get an apology but we were happy in the knowledge that all was repaired swiftly and was safe again.

At the end of the day, sorry this happened is just a couple of words, action has been taken to repair the problem so your choice is accept that or move, there is little else the landlord can do for you.

Thanks for the help! Gas really makes me panic so have turned it off at meter. Not using it again until all sorted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Thanks for the help! Gas really makes me panic so have turned it off at meter. Not using it again until all sorted

I know it is scary, we were only in that house 3 weeks, with 2 kids and were all very sick by the time we found out. Blessing in disguise really that the hob blew.

I know it is scary, we were only in that house 3 weeks, with 2 kids and were all very sick by the time we found out. Blessing in disguise really that the hob blew.

Really was. I'd take the oil heating any day.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Really was. I'd take the oil heating any day.:(

Yeah I wouldn't... my uncles oil tank went on fire on him without warning one day... still don't know what caused it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 The Good Agent

It may be worthwhile writing a formal letter to both the landlord and the EA stating your disgust at how the situation was treated by both.

You have stated the house is 'fab' so it would be a shame to lose a house that you really like over an ignorant salesman. Also considering you are 7/8 months pregnant, moving is the last thing you want to be facing into.

I think your best bet would be to write to both, demanding an apology, payment for the repair work and a promise to treat any future issues with utmost professionalism. You might still feel sour over the whole incident, and rightly so, but it isn't easy to come across a home that you really love, so try and do all you can to stay in it (obviously putting your family's safety first).

The Good Agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Gas leak won't make you sick carbon monoxide will. Buy a €5 monitor like a smoke alarm if you worried. Gas boiler can leak carbon monoxide but generally you will see discoloring around the appliance. You can easily check the vent is sealed and connected correctly (ie. not come loose). Make sure all the vents in the house are not block and you should be extra safe.

The servicing is generally to make sure the appliance works efficiently and very little else. It does leave a smell but that won't kill you. Simply air out the house. The smell is added to make people aware of any leaks

The LL should be responding quicker but you are seriously paranoid about the use of gas. On those grounds you should move out because you will never feel comfortable.

• Advertisement

I know the servicing usually leaves a smell but the guy left a valve on the gas fire open all day.Bf checked the meter to verify and it was moving all the time. By the time we got home every room was filled with it and we couldn't stay there.

Bord Gais were out last night and said we should insist fire is repaired. Ringing agent today to say we want this done before we sign another lease.

Easiest option is to stay so hopefully all goes well.

:)

Advertisement