Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway Farm Land

• 15-06-2011 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi all,

Has anyone on here bought land in Galway in the last year or made an offer or bought land/offer any where in the country recently.

I am looking at making an offer on land close to home in east Galway,
    This will be my first ever land purchase and want to get the best deal I can. I think it was in the Farmes Journal recently that in 2010 Galway Land was averaging at 8,000 per acre.

Any ideas what I should be offering per acre, its decent grass land.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

wli wrote: »
    Hi all,

Has anyone on here bought land in Galway in the last year or made an offer or bought land/offer any where in the country recently.

I am looking at making an offer on land close to home in east Galway,
    This will be my first ever land purchase and want to get the best deal I can. I think it was in the Farmes Journal recently that in 2010 Galway Land was averaging at 8,000 per acre.

Any ideas what I should be offering per acre, its decent grass land.

There are so many variables involved, it can be very difficult to give a valuation of a set piece of land.
    All's it takes is two people at auction (or even one!) that really want it and any parcel of land can become very dear!
    Maybe chat the auctioneer, but play your cards close to your chest, you don't want to be telling him too much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I know of 17 acres of land sold between Balllinasloe and Loughrea last August. It was good enough quality - it had just been reseeded, so it looked very well. It had about 150m of road frontage - possibly the potential to build a house on it in the future. It also had the remains of a stone dwelling on it. It was sold at public auction for €155,000.

Of course the M6 motorway went through that area and the 2 highest bidders had received a lot of compensation from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

IMO the bottom of the land market in Ireland was last year and since then it has firmed and began to increase again.

It is impossible to put a value on land that you don't know about but we would have no problem paying 10k an acre for good land (obviously everybody has a different idea on what is good land, what one person might class as good another wouldn't even look at)

The main determinantes of the price will be
    • the strength of farmers bounding the land and in the locality
    • the quality of the land
    • Access and road frontage
    • the size of the holding, with small holdings generally making more per acre than large
    I suppose you will have to weigh up those factors to try to determine the value, Personally i have no idea of the general quality of land in East Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

Tipp Man wrote: »
    IMO the bottom of the land market in Ireland was last year and since then it has firmed and began to increase again.

It is impossible to put a value on land that you don't know about but we would have no problem paying 10k an acre for good land (obviously everybody has a different idea on what is good land, what one person might class as good another wouldn't even look at)

The main determinantes of the price will be
    • the strength of farmers bounding the land and in the locality
    • the quality of the land
    • Access and road frontage
    • the size of the holding, with small holdings generally making more per acre than large
    I suppose you will have to weigh up those factors to try to determine the value, Personally i have no idea of the general quality of land in East Galway
    south east galway-best land in the country,north east galway-probably the worst

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

PMU wrote: »
    south east galway-best land in the country,north east galway-probably the worst

is woodford in south east galway , ive relatives there , land isnt anything special

• Advertisement
Advertisement