Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DGVW Plate

• 15-06-2011 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi

I was reading the attached document from the RSA regarding testing of MH.

Does anyone know where I would find the DGVW plate on a 1999 registered Fiat Ducato?

Or if it is not present where I would get a letter from the manufacturer stating the DGVW ? If its below 3500kg I think this is allowed.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Hi

I was reading the attached document from the RSA regarding testing of MH.

Does anyone know where I would find the DGVW plate on a 1999 registered Fiat Ducato?

Or if it is not present where I would get a letter from the manufacturer stating the DGVW ? If its below 3500kg I think this is allowed.

Thanks

Its on the front cross member where the bonnet catch is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

as Paddy said , it's a silver palte , rivetted on.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭HereAndThere

Cheers lads, I thought thats were it was but said I better double check before going to view.

Right had a look at it and the following was stamped on it.

3400Kg but there was also a stamp with 3200Kg, looked like it was done with a punch (Maybe on importing)?

There were also some other weights.

1 - 1690Kg and 2 - 1750Kg

Does anyone know what they mean ? Are they for each axle or something?

Any information would be greatful, just wondering what all the different weights mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Right had a look at it and the following was stamped on it.

3400Kg but there was also a stamp with 3200Kg, looked like it was done with a punch (Maybe on importing)?

There were also some other weights.

1 - 1690Kg and 2 - 1750Kg

Does anyone know what they mean ? Are they for each axle or something?

Any information would be greatful, just wondering what all the different weights mean?

The weight at 1 is the maximum weight the 1st. (front) axle is permitted to carry.
    The weight at 2 is ditto for the second axle (back axle in your case)

As regards the first weight and a change to it to a lower figure, it makes no sense to me as both are within the sum of the two axles and also within the maximum for a category B (car) licence. I can see no reason to reduce the higher to the lower, the other way around would make sense as would increase the payload.

The correct procedure when a revised weight(s) are issued is for a new plate with the new weight(s) and those remaining the same to be made up and fixed in the same area as the old plate, usually with an overlap to indicate which is the most recent. A copy of the certificate which accompanied the 'new' plate should also be retained to show that the change has been certified by an 'authorised' person.

It's important to check which is noted on your RF101 under F.1. (GVW) as this is the 'official' weight and the one which would be used when the vehicle is being checked for compliance.

Note, if either of the three weight are exceeded when the vehicle is being roadworthiness tested (when it becomes mandatory) it will be an instant 'fail'.

• Advertisement

Cheers will check the Vehicle Reg Cert for the weights.

Should the axle 1 and axle 2 weight sumed equal the gvw?

In that case the GVW would be 3440Kg correct ?

Cheers will check the Vehicle Reg Cert for the weights.

Should the axle 1 and axle 2 weight sumed equal the gvw?

In that case the GVW would be 3440Kg correct ?

On original plates the sum of the axles is usually greater than the GVW, this allows for uneven loading of the vehicle.

Example ratings:- GVW 3000kg axle1 1700kg axle 2 2000kg

Actual loaded:- axle 1 1200kg, axle2 1800Kg = GVW not exceeded

Think bikes, and all the other stuff which is usually loaded towards the rear of the vehicle.

It is possible, as stated in a previous post, to have the GVW uprated to the sum of the axles, but then great care must be taken to balance the loading fore and aft as there will be no margin to play with.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭micko38

Hi All

In relation to

It's important to check which is noted on your RF101 under F.1. (GVW) as this is the 'official' weight and the one which would be used when the vehicle is being checked for compliance.

I have an imported van and on this form the section for weight is not stated it just has on it weight : unknown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

micko38 wrote: »
    Hi All

In relation to

I have an imported van and on this form the section for weight is not stated it just has on it weight : unknown

Wow. I'd like to see them prosecute you for overloading then....

Hi All

In relation to

Strictly speaking it not 'unknown' it's just some person who issued the cert couldn't be bothered to ensure it was completed properly.
    In the event of an official weight check by the Gardaí, a VTN test center or your insurance after an accident it's what is on the plate will be what you are measured against.

When I said "..............which is noted on your RF101 under F.1. (GVW) as this is the 'official' weight.........."
    I was referring to a situation where more than one plate was in place and eacjh had a different weight as for example in the case mentioned by HereandThere

• Advertisement

The whole weight thing has me confused. I found a metal plate under the bonnet (don't think is the official coach builders one I reckon it was there before conversion.) What is stamped on that is 3850 and 5250 nothing to say individual axle weights or gross weight that is when I reverted back to the rf101 form and nothing is stated on that, so got the van weighed at bridge and it is 3050kg so I dont know where it stands after that.

The whole weight thing has me confused. I found a metal plate under the bonnet (don't think is the official coach builders one I reckon it was there before conversion.) What is stamped on that is 3850 and 5250 nothing to say individual axle weights or gross weight that is when I reverted back to the rf101 form and nothing is stated on that, so got the van weighed at bridge and it is 3050kg so I dont know where it stands after that.

3850kg is a common GVW, it originates from a 3500kg gvw being uprated by 10% to give additional payload, if the driver has a C1 or higher category licence.

5250kg would be gross permissible train weight (vehicle plus trailer)

Basically if you are 3050kg now you can add 800kg before the vehicle is 'overloaded'

It IS important though that the maximum for the axles is known, otherwise for example if all the 800 went on the back axle it would most likely be severely overloaded with various dire consequences.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. One more question can it be down graded back to 3500kg if I want to sell it on to a B licence holder ?

Thanks for clearing that up for me. One more question can it be down graded back to 3500kg if I want to sell it on to a B licence holder ?

Yes is the short answer, it's a common change for licencing reasons throughout Europe.
    But as it would be going back to what it was originally it may not need the same certification as is necessary for an increase, the appropriate people in the RSA or the Dept at Shannon should be able to advise ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭WildWater

So where do ye go to get your vans weighed? Mine is stamped 3500KG but I have no idea what her actual weight is and therefore don't know how much I have to play around with. This would be good to know :rolleyes:

I was thinking about going to the dump! They could probably tell me the overall weight as they have a weigh-bridge but they would not be able to tell me front and rear axle weights. It would be one thing being stopped by the Guards but I really don't fancy getting on the wrong side of the Gendarmerie.

WildWater wrote: »
    So where do ye go to get your vans weighed? Mine is stamped 3500KG but I have no idea what her actual weight is and therefore don't know how much I have to play around with. This would be good to know :rolleyes:

I was thinking about going to the dump! They could probably tell me the overall weight as they have a weigh-bridge but they would not be able to tell me front and rear axel weights. It would be one thing being stopped by the Guards but I really don't fancy getting on the wrong side of the Gendarmerie.

Wise thoughts;)
    I go to my local agri supplier, any place which receives/delivers bulk loads will have a weighbridge, my guy charges me a tenner.

The procedure I use is:-
    1) Drive fully on weighbridge - weight noted
    2) Drive off and reverse back on, only back axle - weight noted
    3) Docket printed

1 = vehicle loaded (weight of camper)
    2 = vehicle empty (weight on back axle)
    a third weight will appear on the docker = weight of what the weighbridge computer thought was the load, weight 1 minus weight 2 (weight on front axle)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

my uncle used to work in weights and measures , and says you should always hit the brakes a firm shove to stop with a bit of force on the 'bridge , to make it sway back and forward a little , to be most accurate . it dislodges any crud at the edges that can cause false readings .

Cheers for all the info lads.

I ended up buying the MH anyway.

The RF101 had no weights just 000000, typical entries from someone that didn't know what they were doing or were in a rush.

I am gonna bring it to a weighbridge, prob Roadstone and get the actual weights.

The seeler told me he had it up weighted on importing so as not too pay too much VRT.

I wreckon shes ok (Euramobil 585 KB) as the manuals (In German) say the following

Eigengewicht - DeadWeight - 2740 KG
    Gesamtgewicht - GVW - 3400 KG

This seems to be inline with what the seller stated.

So am I right in thinking that with nothing on board she is 2740KG and I can add 660KG of weight ?

Cheers

Advertisement