Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paint stripping

• 15-06-2011 3:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    Can anyone tell me the best way to clean old peeling paint from window sills? I have scraped the loose paint off and this has left patches. A wire brush does not seem to do a good enough job.Is a heat gun or blow lamp any good for this? What about paint stripper? Should I just sand it back?
    How do I get the best result?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

You can go with a heat gun and a scraper, but be careful not to singe the wood. That or go with the chemical method of nitromors or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭D.Craftsman

Thanks.I should have made it clear that it is the external. concrete sills, not wooden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Hi Folks,
    Can anyone tell me the best way to clean old peeling paint from window sills? I have scraped the loose paint off and this has left patches. A wire brush does not seem to do a good enough job.Is a heat gun or blow lamp any good for this? What about paint stripper? Should I just sand it back?
    How do I get the best result?
    Thanks

I'd go with a drag type scraper - an excellent tool for this application. There's the plain old triangular steel type. I've got a tungsten carbide tipped one which would rip the concrete itself away and is virtually bullet proof.

You need to press down on the head with one hand (using a rag to protect your hand from the point if using the triangular one) and drag back towards yourself with the other. Watch out for paint chips flying everywhere.

Various types here for illustration purposes - the triangular type is a few down.

http://www.silentpaintremover.com/scrapers/scrapers.htm#twohanded

Advertisement