Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackcurrants- what to do?

Options
  • 15-06-2011 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any ideas what to do with Blackcurrants apart from Jam, fools or cheesecake? Every recipe seems to involve equal parts sugar to currants!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

Unfortunately they are bitter little things so the sugar is necessary. I freeze them, then throw some into a smoothie if I am making one, I usually use one of those yogurt type drinks, some frozen raspberries, blackcurrants, redcurrants, maybe some banana if I have it, drop of milk if too thick. You can end up with a kind of soft serve ice cream mix that is low fat, assuming that you used low fat yogurt, and full of fruit, berries being particular good. Nice little treat. Then if I want jam I make some in small batches throughout the year from the frozen berries as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Can make a nice palette cleansing sorbet too.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

this recipe with blackcurrants and almonds
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056157583

or put them in a smoothie and use honey to sweeten them

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

I have a surplus of raspberries at this time of year.... I open freeze them on trays and when frozen transfer to bags .... then they will pour out as needed. Yes I tend to make jam during the year and use for other things so nice to have a stash in freezer if you have the space.

Advertisement