Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Accounting (HL) Predictions / discussion / aftermath * (One thread please)

• 15-06-2011 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

So. . .whats coming up, people. . .

My predictions are: Published, Tabular, Club, Control, Marginal Full Question, some kind of joint Budgeting (for the first time), Incompletes, and Interpretation. . .dont ask me about the Final Accounts, won't be doing them!. . .

What will be on the 2011 Accounting Paper? 295 votes

Tabular (60m or 100m)
    0% 0 votes
    Published (60m or 100m)
    8% 26 votes
    Club Accounts (60m or 100m)
    8% 25 votes
    Farm Accounts (60m or 100m)
    10% 30 votes
    Service Accounts (60m or 100m)
    1% 4 votes
    Incompletes (100m)
    1% 4 votes
    Control (Debtors/Creditors) (60m)
    12% 37 votes
    Suspense Accounts (60m or 100m)
    2% 7 votes
    Flexible Budgeting (80m)
    1% 5 votes
    Cash Budgeting (80m)
    5% 17 votes
    Production Budgeting (80m)
    1% 5 votes
    Stock Costing (1/2 of 80m)
    7% 23 votes
    Absorbtional vs Marginal Costing Question (80m)
    0% 2 votes
    Job/Product Costing (80m)
    6% 20 votes
    Interpretation - Shareholders/Prospective POV (100m)
    1% 5 votes
    Interpretation - Bank Manager/Debenture Holder POV (100m)
    6% 20 votes
    Final Accounts - Sole Trader (120m)
    2% 8 votes
    Company Final Accounts (120m)
    1% 3 votes
    Company Final Accounts including a Manufacturing Account (120m)
    10% 31 votes
    Cash Flow Statements (60m or 100m)
    2% 6 votes
    Depreciation (60m)
    4% 12 votes
    Revaluation (60m or 100m)
    1% 5 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

So. . .whats coming up, people. . .

My predictions are: Published, Tabular, Club, Control, Marginal Full Question, some kind of joint Budgeting (for the first time), Incompletes, and Interpretation. . .dont ask me about the Final Accounts, won't be doing them!. . .
    There was a joint budgeting in 2009 I think. Cash and production.
    I'm hoping for an incomplete method A to go along with my interpretation. After that I'm grand.
    Published comes up every second year, and it's due for us if you follow that pattern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Duda17

Will company account definately come up this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭amortentia

Duda17 wrote: »
    Will company account definately come up this year?

No. It's just a prediction from the patterns so far. Could be any of them, but most likely a company then a manufacturing. Sole trader was up last year and manufacturing the year before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭resistantdoor

Can farm accounts come up in section 2? They never have before.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Steve!

Yup. I mean, the course has been on for so long they're gonna have to do something like that to keep us on our toes.

They're not that bad. Just really long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

Yes, its come up in pres as a 100 marker. . it'll have a balance sheet, and maybe a drawings account as well. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

i'd love
    q1 company
    q6/7 incomplete/cash flows/ tabs
    Q9 production budget

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kR1srlRT7k

found this on youtube, its really good, shows ya how to do the questions :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 irishpatsfan

q1 company final
    q5 interpretation share holder
    q6 incomplete trading pl method
    q7 cash flow
    q8 marginal costing
    q9 flexible/production

q9 i hope flexible but i rekon it will b production

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 nightdream

xclw wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kR1srlRT7k

found this on youtube, its really good, shows ya how to do the questions :D

My accounting teacher xD

If company, cash-flow statement, club and flexible come up....i think I will have no problem in doing the paper, if tabular and suspense comes up, end of the world for me.

• Advertisement

I just have a question if anyone could help.
    For TP&L A/C's my teacher always told me to put discount allowed into selling and distribution. However, in the '08 marking scheme it says it goes into administration. Which is correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 kev.f

I just have a question if anyone could help.
    For TP&L A/C's my teacher always told me to put discount allowed into selling and distribution. However, in the '08 marking scheme it says it goes into administration. Which is correct?

i would always put it in selling and distribution as it realtes to the selling of the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

kev.f wrote: »
    i would always put it in selling and distribution as it realtes to the selling of the product.

Same.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

Is the accounting exam supposed to be hard this year?
    I know it's not really possible to confirm but quite a few people have been telling me so was wondering :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

cocopopsxx wrote: »
    Is the accounting exam supposed to be hard this year?
    I know it's not really possible to confirm but quite a few people have been telling me so was wondering :P

the only person who knows that is the one who set the paper

i have a feeling they might do something like a departmental account in q1 so if you are doing q1 i'd go over that in case.
    I really hope suspense doesn't come up!
    which method for incomplete do ya think it'll be if it comes up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

xclw wrote: »
    i have a feeling they might do something like a departmental account in q1 so if you are doing q1 i'd go over that in case.
    I really hope suspense doesn't come up!
    which method for incomplete do ya think it'll be if it comes up?

There'd be absolute uproar if a departmental a/c came up i think, if they do put it up i hope it's easy enough or there's stuff in the other 3 Questions i could do

i think it'll be a cashbook method(more hope really i can do them quicker)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 peckingduck

There can't be too much uproar about a departmental coming up, in fairness there's only 4 questions that can come up as Q1 and that's one of them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 irishpatsfan

we didnt even do departmental accounts in our class! theres no way they could come up also they have never been on it before and company final is well due up! if departmental came up i would go insane!

we didnt even do departmental accounts in our class! theres no way they could come up also they have never been on it before and company final is well due up! if departmental came up i would go insane!

With the fact departmental have never been on, they are also "well due up"!! You should have a quick look over them over the weekend just in case, otherwise you'll end up with the 60mark Qs...A few teachers I've heard say that departmental could be up with the changing of the questions in recent years. I also heard, interpretation is tipped to be taken off one year soon as it's not a compulsory element to the paper.

Now that, would cause uproar!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Yeah I doubt any of thats gonna happen.

Nice scaremongering though

AdamD wrote: »
    Yeah I doubt any of thats gonna happen.

Nice scaremongering though

Been to two accounting revision courses both points above were stated at both. Also know quite a few acc teachers who have said the same...Personally, I wouldn't be surprised. They know everyone doesn't cover departmental, what better way to sieve out the better students?!

With the fact departmental have never been on, they are also "well due up"!! You should have a quick look over them over the weekend just in case, otherwise you'll end up with the 60mark Qs...A few teachers I've heard say that departmental could be up with the changing of the questions in recent years. I also heard, interpretation is tipped to be taken off one year soon as it's not a compulsory element to the paper.

WHAT
    Our entire class would just walk out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Ronan Keating

What the hell are departmental? Not my fault if i fuck up the exam so. We never did those things. Bit late to even start now.

PJelly wrote: »
    WHAT
    Our entire class would just walk out.

I can't see it happening myself, but that's what I've heard. It would mess up so many people.

What the hell are departmental? Not my fault if i fuck up the exam so. We never did those things. Bit late to even start now.

Departmental are the fourth type final accounts that can be asked as part of Question 1. They are a type of account used by businesses split into various departments eg. hardware and grocery, to compare the profit/loss made by each and can be used to see if a particular department needs to be shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Departmental accounts are too easy to be the difference between the best students tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

A departmental could come up, doubt it though. We did one of them, and I remember them being pretty easy but I can't remember how to do them now.

Are you sure interpretation aren't compulsory? Not that it matters to me, I never do them anyway- it would give me extra choice on the paper.

It's basically like doing two simple question 1's at the same time. It's easy enough, but would throw people off it they're not used to them.

I hope farm accounts don't come up. We did them in one double class, and I missed the first class. Have no idea what they're about!
    I plan to have my Q1's all ready, all the possible Q6/7's except for cash flow. (Must work on published and learn the headings). And section 3 is always a piece of pish :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

My teacher was told at a conference that if they were going to make a big change like that, they'd take it off the ordinary level paper first because not too many are doing that exam, so I wouldn't worry about that too much.

• Advertisement

Could someone post the criteria of a small medium and large company? 'Twould be very much appreciated :)

Advertisement