Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goth Scene in Cork

Options
  • 15-06-2011 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Does anybody know if there are still goths in Cork, and where they hang out? I remember hearing they were on Paul Street but haven't seen many since I moved to Cork for college. Just wondering...

Thanks,
    Brian

hotgoth.jpg
    You can't spell 'goth' without 'hot'.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Paul Street, but they're quite young. At night you'll find them in Fred Zepplins and The Quad.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭brian1991

Thanks for the reply. How young? I'm nineteen. I guess if I spent more time in Moonshine than Connolly's I'd know more about the goth scene in Cork lol. I've never seen goths in the Quad. Although I guess it is gothic architecture... looks pretty epic at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Looking Glass

A lot of the Goth/Emo types hang out in the peace park, or by the blocks around the Library. Try giving those places a check.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Fred Zeppelin's I would guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

There's very few goths in Cork. I knew of about two ten years ago and haven't seen any since then. They would occasionaly go to Freds and they're used to be a Goth night in Sir Henry's but since then they must have disappeared.

And I'm presuming you mean actual Goth which is a huge distance away from the Emo kids.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

What's emo?
    I always used to see a pair goth's walking up the lower Glanmire road with their child (mini goth I guess).

What's involved in being a goth anyway? Dress in black,ware pale makeup and act depressed?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I haven't seen a goth around the city since 04/05.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

cork45 wrote: »
    What's emo?
    I always used to see a pair goth's walking up the lower Glanmire road with their child (mini goth I guess).

What's involved in being a goth anyway? Dress in black,ware pale makeup and act depressed?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo

plenty of reading here about emo, i like a few of the bands mentioned there, i used to think i was a goth but i was really more of a mosher:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I'd agree with this. They seem to have joined the Punks as an extinct species in Cork.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'd agree with this. They seem to have joined the Punks as an extinct species in Cork.

I haven't seen a punk either in a long time:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I saw three punks on Washington street about a month ago. I've a feeling that they were English for some reason, though.

I saw three punks on Washington street about a month ago. I've a feeling that they were English for some reason, though.

More than likely were I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

I've seen a few people dressed in a fashion I would have described as punk, doc marten-y boots, v. short jeans with the bottoms folded up, check shirts buttoned up to the neck, mohawks. Saw one guy in college and a couple there in the quad yesterday.

On the topic of Goths haven't seen one in YEARS. Seems to have died away as a fashion/lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Don't really get many actual Goths in Cork anymore, either they got bored of it or moved on somewhere else.

Plenty of emo's and "wanna-be" Goths around Peace Park and whatnot though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Must be the Credit crunch...:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

Still punks here! (Even if I've not had a Mohawk for several months now) :(

As for the Goths? No idea. A fair few of them headed off to London years back as there were sod all for here for them. Now all there seems to be is goth-lite (Emo) kids. Freds would def be the place to check out, likewise some of them would go to the metal gigs in An Cruiscin Lan.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,437 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I saw this thread and figured it would be worth a shot asking if anyone knew if there is anywhere in Cork that I could get New Rock Boots? Help is appreciated

I saw this thread and figured it would be worth a shot asking if anyone knew if there is anywhere in Cork that I could get New Rock Boots? Help is appreciated

McCarthy's Corn Market street

McCarthy's Corn Market street

Already tried there they only seem to have Doc Martens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Are you going on a cull?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

bladebrew wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo

plenty of reading here about emo, i like a few of the bands mentioned there, i used to think i was a goth but i was really more of a mosher:)

mosher? what are u listening to so?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭sunshiner

the shop next to pairs sells them im pretty sure on patrick street,there a few shoe shops there so check them out. my brother got his there a few years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

They've all grown up and got degrees in Arts & Media Studies now and talk with a funny somewhat american or aussie accent often droning on about their enlightning experience while traveling abroad (sex & drugs). You'll find a few stragglers inside in UCC but more likely inside in Hillbilies or any other place that serves chips behind the counter or at home on the dole Facebooking or photoshopping the day away or anything else to delay having to face up to the reality of being a failed artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

^
    Closet Goth has issues.

sunshiner wrote: »
    the shop next to pairs sells them im pretty sure on patrick street,there a few shoe shops there so check them out. my brother got his there a few years ago

Yeah thats where I first spotted them. They don't do them anymore:(.
    I just really like biker boots and wanted to get another pair. Maybe around winter time they might get them back in

I just really like biker boots and wanted to get another pair. Maybe around winter time they might get them back in

Have you tryed looking online?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I hate when that happens to the shoe shops summer comes and all you can get is dolly shoes...I havent brought on line from these guys but i am sure tis fine I was in their store in Dublin (got a beautiful pair of calfish high red docs :)) http://www.chinablueshoes.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=new+rock

They have the new rock ones anywho online, could chance ringing them beforehand and asking are their any sales coming up or will they give a discoutn or something

My concern about getting them online is the sizes. I know if you buy them off their own website and they don't fit they charge something like E20 to take them back

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Well if you have got them before then you should be sorted just get the same size again. Or if not, i would think perhaps go half a size bigger or well they are prob like the docs too where you need to loosen them out a bit before they are reall comfy..Sure just ask them, or take a trip up there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

brian1991 wrote: »
    You can't spell 'goth' without 'hot'.

In an ideal world. Sadly nine times out of ten it's a case of you can't spell goth without hog.

Advertisement