Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thread removed and an infraction from Travel Review.

Options
  • 15-06-2011 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭

Hi,

I PM'd a mod in the travel review forum to pre-approve a thread about trading Bosnian money for Euros with someone who may be heading over to Bosnia on holidays. Lenny ok'd it and said it would be fine. Mikedragon32 removed the thread and gave me an infraction even though I had asked another mod was it ok to post in the forum. I explained this to him.The infraction stands and my thread is removed.

This was my post:

Original Post:
    [post]72768193[/post]
    I was in Bosnia a few years ago and came back with 415 Bosnian Convertible Marks. I'm looking to sell them to someone heading in the direction of Medjugorje, Sarajevo, Mostar, Srebrenica.

They're worth €212 (http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert/) and I'm looking for €170 for them. So if you're interested message me.

[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

I'll post the series of pm's between me and the mods of this forum in the order they were sent and received. The first message from me is missing as I sent it, by mistake, to Lennys' profile page. As well, I've put in bold the sections that I feel are relevant.

(1)
    Lenny wrote:
    Hi, I dono why you posted your message as a vistor message?!
    I take it you want to sell them on the travel forums is it? It sounds
    like agreat deal for someone to snap up, but wouldn't you get more money
    if you went ot the bank to convert it?

(2)
    Hi Lenny,

I thought I had sent it as a pm. Yeah I am looking to sell it on the travel forum. The reason is because the banks here don't buy or sell it. So I thought I would sell it to someone heading over there on holidays. They get a good deal and I get rid of it. Is it ok to post the message? I just thought I would ask because it's an unusual situation.

Anthony

(3)
    Lenny wrote:
    Um I don't really have any problems with it to be honest!
    Lenny wrote:
    Hi, I dono why you posted your message as a vistor message?!
    I take it you want to sell them on the travel forums is it? It sounds like agreat deal for someone to snap up, but wouldn't you get more money if you went ot the bank to convert it?

Hi Lenny,

I thought I had sent it as a pm. Yeah I am looking to sell it on the travel forum. The reason is because the banks here don't buy or sell it. So I thought I would sell it to someone heading over there on holidays. They get a good deal and I get rid of it. Is it ok to post the message? I just thought I would ask because it's an unusual situation.

Anthony

I then posted my message and it was removed by Mikedragon32 at a later stage. These are the series of messages between us.

(4)
    Dear BehindTheScenes,

You have received an infraction at boards.ie. This is an automatically generated message.

Reason: Spammed Advertisements

No advertising on the travel forums.

Infractions are a reminder to you that you have broken a rule, but not in a serious way. The rules for every forum can be seen in the Forum Charter which appears at the top of every forum. If you are unsure what rule you have broken or how, please PM the Moderator(s) of the forum and ask them. All forums are moderated differently, so if you made a similar comment on one forum, it doesn't necessarily mean it's ok to post it everywhere else. Remember that our Mods are volunteers and are not always online, so they may not be able to answer you straight away.

This infraction is worth 1 point(s). Earning 9 active infraction points results in an automatic site ban until at least one of them expires (Infractions are active for 10 days) - this is there as a means to keep serious trouble makers or spammers off the site.

Original Post:
    [post]72768193[/post]
    I was in Bosnia a few years ago and came back with 415 Bosnian Convertible Marks. I'm looking to sell them to someone heading in the direction of Medjugorje, Sarajevo, Mostar, Srebrenica.

They're worth €212 (http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert/) and I'm looking for €170 for them. So if you're interested message me.

All the best,
    boards.ie

(5)
    Hi Mike

I queried was this message ok with a mod (Lennie) beforehand and got the thumbs up. So what's the problem, I did check beforehand?

Also the infraction should be removed given that I had contacted him prior to posting the message.

Anthony
    Dear BehindTheScenes,

You have received an infraction at boards.ie. This is an automatically generated message.

Reason: Spammed Advertisements
    No advertising on the travel forums.

Infractions are a reminder to you that you have broken a rule, but not in a serious way. The rules for every forum can be seen in the Forum Charter which appears at the top of every forum. If you are unsure what rule you have broken or how, please PM the Moderator(s) of the forum and ask them. All forums are moderated differently, so if you made a similar comment on one forum, it doesn't necessarily mean it's ok to post it everywhere else. Remember that our Mods are volunteers and are not always online, so they may not be able to answer you straight away.

This infraction is worth 1 point(s). Earning 9 active infraction points results in an automatic site ban until at least one of them expires (Infractions are active for 10 days) - this is there as a means to keep serious trouble makers or spammers off the site.

Original Post:
    [post]72768193[/post]

All the best,
    boards.ie

(6)
    Hi Mike

I queried was this message ok with a mod (Lennie) beforehand and got the thumbs up. So what's the problem, I did check beforehand?

Also the infraction should be removed given that I had contacted him prior to posting the message.

Anthony

Advertising is forbidden on the forums. Apart from that, even if it was to be let go, it was posted in the Review forum. What you posted wasn't a review.

If you wish to advertise, you should really use adverts.ie.

As regards advertising not being allowed I queried it with a mod and he gave it the ok. I would use adverts.ie but feel that there would be no one to trade for what I'm offering. In my opinion where I posted would be the most ideal place for what I am offering.

Finally, my infraction still stands even though I pointed out to Mike that Lenny ok'd this. I want the infraction removed as it's unfair.

Thanks for reading that I know it was long. I just wanted to be accurate.

Anthony

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

I'll take this on. I'll have a chat with the mods in question.

Leave it with me for the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭BehindTheScenes

Thanks, much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Trout, I've replied to your PM.

Just to add, there is a supplement to the Charter for Reviews here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055226064 in which it states clearly that threads will be deleted or locked if they're not appropriate. Nothing in the OP's thread warranted the thread being left in situ.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

Grand so. I'll request the infraction is removed.

The OP should/could have mentioned the mod discretion supporting the post.

Also, the mod who exercised discretion should have advised co-mods, as a courtesy and to avoid exactly this situation.

Everyone acted in good faith, but communications were less than excellent ... mikedragon32 did exactly the right thing, with the information he had at the time.

Perhaps the best course of action would have been to post the item(s) on Adverts.ie, and allow a thread in the most relevant Travel forum, drawing attention to the advert ... I think that would cover all the bases.

Admins - please mark as resolved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement