Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connection problems at night

Options
  • 15-06-2011 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hey guys. I have some issues with my internet. I've been having the problem ever since we got our line upgraded last Friday. I logged a fault on the Eircom website, only to receive an e-mail from someone who obviously didn't read my description and just responded with a pre-made message...

Every night since the upgrade we got on our line, we have had trouble staying connected after around 9-10pm. This problem continues throughout the night.

Because of the unreliable connection I am constantly checking the router settings. I notice that the DSL noise margin (down) goes down really low at night. During the day it usually stays around 6 dB. At night it drops down to 1-2 dB. I will describe what happened last night.

We were at 12mb/s download speed, at around 10pm, the DSL noise margin went down to 3 dB. I had trouble loading any webpages, and then the DSL noise margin went down to 0 dB and I disconnected. When I reconnected, I noticed the speed had been reduced 11mb/s and the DSL noise margin was back at 6 dB. The process repeated, however. Again, the DSL noise margin went down to 0 dB and disconnected again. When I reconnected I noticed the speed had gone down to 10mb/s. This process repeats until the speed goes down to around 9.5mb/s. From there, the speed doesn't drop any further but we still constantly disconnected. I had to reset the router multiple times.

The speed is inconsistent and we rarely get the speed we should be getting. The DSL noise margin, at nights, usually stays between 1-3 dB, which is very poor. Every night we disconnect multiple times. And inbetween the disconnections, we are unable to load any webpages.

I was told that you can only help with speed and connection issues in real time on the phone. However, the problem occurs every night from 10pm-4am, or whenever I go to sleep. When I wake up, the speed is still around 9.5mb/s, but this DSL noise margin does stay around 6-9 dB during the day. So we have a problem trying to solve the issue in real time since we cannot get through to anyone at that time.

To sum it all up, it is pretty much impossible to use the internet at nights. The problem I believe is the DSL noise margin, but that is your decision to make. I will be calling Eircom tonight around 9:30pm as that is around the time the problem starts and is just before the phone lines close.

I hope you can help here. Here are my stats at the moment.

DSL Mode: ADSL2+
    Speed: 9732 kbps /670 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 41 dB /20 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 8 dB /17 dB

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

RyanK wrote: »
    Hey guys. I have some issues with my internet. I've been having the problem ever since we got our line upgraded last Friday. I logged a fault on the Eircom website, only to receive an e-mail from someone who obviously didn't read my description and just responded with a pre-made message...

Every night since the upgrade we got on our line, we have had trouble staying connected after around 9-10pm. This problem continues throughout the night.

Because of the unreliable connection I am constantly checking the router settings. I notice that the DSL noise margin (down) goes down really low at night. During the day it usually stays around 6 dB. At night it drops down to 1-2 dB. I will describe what happened last night.

We were at 12mb/s download speed, at around 10pm, the DSL noise margin went down to 3 dB. I had trouble loading any webpages, and then the DSL noise margin went down to 0 dB and I disconnected. When I reconnected, I noticed the speed had been reduced 11mb/s and the DSL noise margin was back at 6 dB. The process repeated, however. Again, the DSL noise margin went down to 0 dB and disconnected again. When I reconnected I noticed the speed had gone down to 10mb/s. This process repeats until the speed goes down to around 9.5mb/s. From there, the speed doesn't drop any further but we still constantly disconnected. I had to reset the router multiple times.

The speed is inconsistent and we rarely get the speed we should be getting. The DSL noise margin, at nights, usually stays between 1-3 dB, which is very poor. Every night we disconnect multiple times. And inbetween the disconnections, we are unable to load any webpages.

I was told that you can only help with speed and connection issues in real time on the phone. However, the problem occurs every night from 10pm-4am, or whenever I go to sleep. When I wake up, the speed is still around 9.5mb/s, but this DSL noise margin does stay around 6-9 dB during the day. So we have a problem trying to solve the issue in real time since we cannot get through to anyone at that time.

To sum it all up, it is pretty much impossible to use the internet at nights. The problem I believe is the DSL noise margin, but that is your decision to make. I will be calling Eircom tonight around 9:30pm as that is around the time the problem starts and is just before the phone lines close.

Hi Ryan,

Can you PM me with your telephone number or account number and I can look into that for you.

Thanks, Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hi Ryan,

Just to confirm I got your details and I should be back with an update by early next week.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭RyanK

Just wondering if you have an update on the situation? I've been having this poor quality service for nearly 2 weeks now and even have 1-2 disconnects during the day now. As a heavy internet user, especially at night, you can probably imagine I'm getting really frustrated and would like a solution ASAP.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Just wondering if you have an update on the situation? I've been having this poor quality service for nearly 2 weeks now and even have 1-2 disconnects during the day now. As a heavy internet user, especially at night, you can probably imagine I'm getting really frustrated and would like a solution ASAP.

Thanks

Hi RyanK
    have escalated this to tech support and they are due to update us today / tomorrow. The delay is due to tech support monitoring this over evening period. Apologies for delay but should have information soon.
    Tony

Hi RyanK
    have escalated this to tech support and they are due to update us today / tomorrow. The delay is due to tech support monitoring this over evening period. Apologies for delay but should have information soon.
    Tony

Thanks for the update. By "over evening period", can you be more specific? (i.e. what hours) Is it literally being monitored throughout the night? I'm usually on the internet until ~4am, so monitoring it between 8pm - 5am would be a good period. According to the first person who gets up in our house, the internet is fine at ~8am.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Thanks for the update. By "over evening period", can you be more specific? (i.e. what hours) Is it literally being monitored throughout the night? I'm usually on the internet until ~4am, so monitoring it between 8pm - 5am would be a good period. According to the first person who gets up in our house, the internet is fine at ~8am.

Hi RyanK,

Thanks again for getting back to us.

I've checked for an update with Technical Support.

I am going to recommend that they request an engineer fully test your broadband connection.

In order to do this I need you to confirm the following :

1) Please PM your mobile contact phone number in case an engineer needs to contact you.
    2) Can you confirm that you have tested your broadband modem connection without any third party equipment on your internal phone line system?
    (If unsure about this, please see our Broadbannd Checklist, below ;

http://bit.ly/eircomSupport1 - Broadband Checklist

(*It is essential that you temporarily disconnect everything from the phone line: phones, fax machine, Sky Digital TV, or any other equipment connected to the phone line which may interfere with the broadband connection. Remove the adsl splitter and connect the modem directly to the main phone socket.)

3) Can you confirm if you accept call out charges if the problem is found to be a non-eircom fault?

(If you don't wish to accept a call out fee, the engineer will not enter your premises, though he will check your broadband connection to the front of your premises (i.e: phone line, poles, street cabinet, and up to and including the local exchange).

Generally, completing the Broadband Checklist above will ensure that you avoid all call out charges, if an engineer needs to go to your premises.

If you would rather call into Technical Support directly again :

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (Mon - Sun).

Please retain your case id /reference from Technical Support, in case you need to follow up on this quickly. Alternatively, let us know and we can chase this as well.

Please let me know if I can help further.

Kind regards,

Ant

I am going to recommend that they request an engineer fully test your broadband connection.

In order to do this I need you to confirm the following :

1) Please PM your mobile contact phone number in case an engineer needs to contact you.
    2) Can you confirm that you have tested your broadband modem connection without any third party equipment on your internal phone line system?
    (If unsure about this, please see our Broadbannd Checklist, below ;

http://bit.ly/eircomSupport1 - Broadband Checklist

(*It is essential that you temporarily disconnect everything from the phone line: phones, fax machine, Sky Digital TV, or any other equipment connected to the phone line which may interfere with the broadband connection. Remove the adsl splitter and connect the modem directly to the main phone socket.)

3) Can you confirm if you accept call out charges if the problem is found to be a non-eircom fault?

(If you don't wish to accept a call out fee, the engineer will not enter your premises, though he will check your broadband connection to the front of your premises (i.e: phone line, poles, street cabinet, and up to and including the local exchange).

Generally, completing the Broadband Checklist above will ensure that you avoid all call out charges, if an engineer needs to go to your premises

Hello.

I PMed you my mobile phone number.

I can confirm that I have tested my broadband modem connection without any third party equipment on my internal phone line system. I also removed the splitter but still get speed, DSL noise margin and connection issues.

I do NOT accept the call out fee (simply because the fault is not within the premises as our setup has remained unchanged before, during, and after our lines got upgraded - and that is what caused the problem - so it must be an external problem)

--

Update: When my speed drops to below 9mb/s, I notice I have less issues. It's still poor quality, but I don't seem to disconnect completely. So maybe that means the line simply can't handle the new speed we are getting... at night?

Hello.

I PMed you my mobile phone number.

I can confirm that I have tested my broadband modem connection without any third party equipment on my internal phone line system. I also removed the splitter but still get speed, DSL noise margin and connection issues.

I do NOT accept the call out fee (simply because the fault is not within the premises as our setup has remained unchanged before, during, and after our lines got upgraded - and that is what caused the problem - so it must be an external problem)

--

Update: When my speed drops to below 9mb/s, I notice I have less issues. It's still poor quality, but I don't seem to disconnect completely. So maybe that means the line simply can't handle the new speed we are getting... at night?

Hi RyanK,

I received your PM, thanks.

I will also advise Techical Support - re : escalating to eircom engineers.

Will PM you with your case id (reference) as soon as this is done.

Regards,
    Ant

Hey guys.

An engineer came last week and fixed the problem. We are now usually getting a DSL noise margin of 9 dB. We haven't been disconnecting since.

Now I noticed that my max download speed is 10mb/s, when we should be getting 12mb/s. You probably capped it to try and help resolve the issue. Now that the issue has been resolved, could we please return to our max download speed?

Thanks

Hey guys.

An engineer came last week and fixed the problem. We are now usually getting a DSL noise margin of 9 dB. We haven't been disconnecting since.

Now I noticed that my max download speed is 10mb/s, when we should be getting 12mb/s. You probably capped it to try and help resolve the issue. Now that the issue has been resolved, could we please return to our max download speed?

Thanks

Hi RyanK,

Thanks again. I have increased your broadband speed as high as I can without causing unstable line connections.
    You should see the difference if you test your speed again :-

Let me know if any problems.

All the best,
    Ant

• Advertisement

Hi RyanK,

Thanks again. I have increased your broadband speed as high as I can without causing unstable line connections.
    You should see the difference if you test your speed again :-

Let me know if any problems.

All the best,
    Ant

Hi, thanks for that. It was worth a try, but we're getting the same problems we were getting before. I guess the problem is on our end, but since it would be too expensive to fix, may I request that we be limited to 10mb/s again? We'll just leave it as that.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Hi, thanks for that. It was worth a try, but we're getting the same problems we were getting before. I guess the problem is on our end, but since it would be too expensive to fix, may I request that we be limited to 10mb/s again? We'll just leave it as that.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Hi RyanK,

That's no problem. As requested I've dropped the speed down again to 10Mb.

Let me know if there's any thing else you need.

Kind regards,
    Ant

Hi RyanK,

That's no problem. As requested I've dropped the speed down again to 10Mb.

Let me know if there's any thing else you need.

Kind regards,
    Ant

Thanks. One very last thing that just popped into my head. Straight after the upgrade we were offered a free router if we needed it for the new speeds. I'm wondering if we can still avail of this offer or is it too late now? That might make a difference.

Our current router is ZyXEL P-660HW-T1 v3

Thanks. One very last thing that just popped into my head. Straight after the upgrade we were offered a free router if we needed it for the new speeds. I'm wondering if we can still avail of this offer or is it too late now? That might make a difference.

Our current router is ZyXEL P-660HW-T1 v3

Hi RyanK,

Thanks again. Your current router model is the latest offered by eircom. It is compatible for adsl2 and widely used.

Broadband Sales would be able to confirm if you're entitled to a Free similar modem (model, Zyxel P-660H). Technical Support can replace your current Zyxel modem if they find that it is not working. However, in order to get a free replacement, they will ask you if you agree to a new 12 months contract.

Alternativey, the same modem can be purchased at a reduced cost €49, from Broadband Sales.

Broadband Sales : 1800503303 (freefone)

Broadband Support : 1890260260 (lowcall)

Let me know if you need anything else,

All the best,
    Ant

Advertisement