Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend an AK

• 15-06-2011 3:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭

Ok, I'm looking for a mid-high end AEG AK. First choice would be real wood, followed by imitation, then others. Haven't really got much preference between 47, M, 74 etc but I want to be able to get mid-caps fairly handy. Budget is €300, maximum €350, including the magazines.

Thanks for any advice, if you had first-hand experience with the gun it'd be great. I don't mind a bit of discussion/banter either! :p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

Most aks will take the same mags... so thats no worries. Mids exist in 74 baka, akm baka, and akm/ak47 steel... so theres plenty of options...

My favourites?

RMW kit
    Inokatsu
    VFC

Pretty much the best there is in the AK market.

I'd go for an akm personally... its the recognisable 'ak' will fit any period loadout from the 70s - present day. Still used all over the world, and fits rebel, russian, or anysuch merc loadout you desire.

My fav? RMW akms :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Also worth looking at LCT's offerings. They are basically the same as RMW
    http://sgairsoft.biz/siteapps/25121/htdocs/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=228&category_id=27&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=54
    G&G make a very nice AKMS and AIMS. Again quite similar to the LCT/RMW AKs, with steel and wood construction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

the exterior on the g&g akm and aims is made my lct, g&g use them as there oem for the parts, and the RMW are the lct kits :)

the lct is very good and in your price range but if your not 100% worried about external accuracy then the cyma akm/rpk is a good budget buy

if you can go to about 400euro+ the real sword and vfc become and option

are you looking for a model to fit in with a particular impression as this could effect your choice

Gah.... G&G Ak series... no. Just no. Thier internals have a deep seated desire to liquify.

Thanks Puding, you're the go to guy for AKs :D
    Firekitten wrote: »
    Gah.... G&G Ak series... no. Just no. Thier internals have a deep seated desire to liquify.
    Haven't had any problems with mine. Maybe I am lucky.
    Also to echo what Puding said the CM.048M is a great AEG for the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭MerryDespot

Puding wrote: »
    the exterior on the g&g akm and aims is made my lct, g&g use them as there oem for the parts, and the RMW are the lct kits :)

the lct is very good and in your price range but if your not 100% worried about external accuracy then the cyma akm/rpk is a good budget buy

if you can go to about 400euro+ the real sword and vfc become and option

are you looking for a model to fit in with a particular impression as this could effect your choice

+1 on the LCT - I've two of these and though I've only had them a few months I've already found them to be great aegs (not just great aks!).

I'd recommend the LCT AKM - it's a thing of beauty and the performance right out of the box is pretty bloody good. Mids won't be a problem as it will take classic army, toyko marui and king arms mids (tried all these without issue).

VFC make some very nice Aks (I've been looking for one for a while), but at the moment nobody seems to be getting them in stock. I'm led to believe that VFC are doing more work as oem for that echo 1 Robinson XCR at the minute and their ak line seems to have suffered.

Here's a link to the review I did on an LCT:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056276598

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

Its not a ak but a Chinese variant.I couldn't recommend the realsword type 56 or any of the variants of it enough.I own the type 56-2 personally and have worked on the two others many times.They are with out doubt the highest quality aeg Iv seen.They have top notch internals too.If anything does go parts are cheap as chips.Furniture is cross compatible with real steel apart from the pistol grip.Metal mags from other brands might have some issues some do some dont but any plastics Iv used worked don't ask me why.Realsword mids and high caps can be gotten easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭MonkeyGuy

Woah lots of replies! Ok well accuracy of the externals isn't vitally, important, it's not for any particular theme or time-period I just want something that looks like an ak. To be honest, staying under budget is much more important. I want it to perform well also, but I wouldn't say no to getting a new hop up rubber and barrel straight off as I kind of do it out of habbit.

Mid range simple solution... LCT AK, Russia Mania Workshop sells the kits nice and cheap... comes with just the bodyparts. Add your own gearbox of choice, your hop and barrel (you want to add aftermarket anyway) and its done.

The kits are about half your budget, so its a fair good start.

Any AK type version 3 box drops straight in, done.

Where can I get them?

• Advertisement

I'd be looking at €275 plus postage and everything on top of it so don't think that'd be possible. Although I would consider getting a wood kit, so is there any decent aks knocking around in the 200 250 mark with plastic and then I could get an LCT woodkit after?

I like that... a lot... Where can I get 47 mid-caps :D

MonkeyGuy wrote: »
    I like that... a lot... Where can I get 47 mid-caps :D

You looking for plastic or metal?

Oh Hobbyairsofter actually has them. Am I better off getting the full stock version or wire stock version? I prefer the look of wire/folding stock ones but in terms of carrying batteries...?

Well the wire stock one is a clone of the VFC AIMS, so in battery terms you can fit up to a 10.8v stick battery.

I just mean in terms of weight and what batteries I could use. Ah I think I'll go with that one, it's a beaut. Those full stock ones use a large type connector so it's gonna be a prick wither way. Thanks you! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

I just mean in terms of weight and what batteries I could use. Ah I think I'll go with that one, it's a beaut. Those full stock ones use a large type connector so it's gonna be a prick wither way. Thanks you! :D

You can use a Large to Small battery adapter, and fit most batteries in the stock. Whereas you can only use a stick-type battery in the folding stock versions.

I'd strongly recommend going with whatever you prefer the look of though :)

LCT AK, Russia Mania Workshop sells the kits
    Where can I get them?
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:

I went onto Russia Mania Workshops, which brought me onto Rhino Airsoft, which took ages to load, and then I couldn't even find the kit.
    Inari wrote: »
    You can use a Large to Small battery adapter, and fit most batteries in the stock. Whereas you can only use a stick-type battery in the folding stock versions.

I'd strongly recommend going with whatever you prefer the look of though :)

Well I'm going to need a new battery either way so I might as well get the prettier one.

The majority of AKs take sticks... most of the lct kit ones take sticks in the upper reciver rather than the stock due to the design being more realistic than big hollow cavity...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭johnboyire

monkeyguy,

I recently bought one of those aks from hobby, its a great aeg, the hand grip is comfortable to use and the folding stock makes it much more compact if need be, its an accurate aeg also. I like it so much that i will be using it as my primary aeg in berget 9 this summer,

I use the plastic waffle style ak magazines the mag brand magazines, they are a quality brand and very very reliable i will be using them in berget with this aeg also,

if your after mids they are the best ak mids i have used, i have gotten some metal ak mags in the past cyma ones i think and they were crap, personally i think reliability is most important for mids and some decent bbs.

i would also buy from an online retailer in hongkong if you dont mind waiting a week or two, as midcaps in ireland are a rip off

this is the shop i would normally order mids from they are a good store to deal with and you can get boxes or single mid caps.
    www.tiger111hk.com

* I also use 7.4v lipos in that ak, they are not too taxing on the gearbox and are shorter than a normal stick battery.

Thanks for that John. I just want to ask you something about the waffle mags though, do they look good in the gun or would I be better off looking for the plain ones? Personally I think the waffle ones look to modern but I could be persuaded otherwise. Do you have any pictures of the gun with the waffle mag in?

Thanks for that John. I just want to ask you something about the waffle mags though, do they look good in the gun or would I be better off looking for the plain ones? Personally I think the waffle ones look to modern but I could be persuaded otherwise. Do you have any pictures of the gun with the waffle mag in?

your right they do look more modern, personally i think they look fine and i have a few other aks they look more suited to, but to be honest its reliability thats most important to me, i had those metal "normal traditonal style" cyma mags that looked good but fed terribly....

check out that link as there is some different colours versions and here http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?q=mag+ak&cat=331 ***i have only tried the mag waffle mags not the ak74 mags...

its really whatever floats your boat.

cant really comment on the kings arms as i have never used the ak versions, in the past i used m4 kings arms mids which were ok but with the odd one misfeeding and currently use m14 kings arms mags which work just fine,

maybe the guys can do a deal for you for the mags and the aeg?

one other thing,

i think someone reccommended on here spraying a little silicone in mids and then drying them out on a radiator, maybe its an old wives tale but i have done this on my mags and they all feed great.....

I am biased when it comes to mags i will now only buy MAG brand magazines due to their reliability.

I couldn't blame you I've been using MAG mids in m4s/16s/anything my friends have for about two years and I've never had a problem.

I'm just thinking, it might not be a bad idea to have the waffle mags, so I can tell which are mids and which are hi-caps easier... just a thought. I'll see anyway, thanks for your help. The AIMS seems to be much better than most of the other CYMAs? I was considering the ak-47s but reviews seem to say the stock is fierce wobbley etc... Is the stock sturdy on yours, both folded and open?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭MerryDespot

I've used those King Arms midcaps - no issues with feeding in the LCT AKs so I can't see that they'd cause problems in any other version. The springs are a little stiff though - hasn't caused any feeding issues but does mean that loading is a bit 'jerky'. Not a huge issue.

• Advertisement

Here's the aims with King arms waffle magazines. Have no complaints about them as they feed reliably and are durable enough.

P1000043.jpg

P1000041.jpg

That looks pretty damn sexy.

avoid the cyma ak47s like the plague.

the accuracy and gearbox are spot on the folding stock is fine initally then it wears down, get a decent brand like the lct or the realsword one, they are more expensive though... i will end up converting mine or using it for parts i should have gone for the lct in the first place.....

the aims stock is rock solid and comfortable too.

It's settled so!

Advertisement