Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Office System

• 15-06-2011 3:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi,

Ok I hope this is the right place to ask. Our company in/has expanded from one PC to 7. Plus accounts etc... Its all up to now networked but a DIY job.
    We now need someone to setup backups and assist.

Anyone know a company or person who can help?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Heres some companies off the top of my head that I've done business with before successfully. (I haven't worked for any of them)

Morse Ireland
    Commtech Ireland
    M J Flood

There are plenty of other local IT firms that will be able to advise you and setup your network so if you post which part of the country your in someone might be able to recommend someone. (Before you hit the Golden Pages!)

As a basic over view your business is probably looking at the following.
    • Windows SBS 2011 running on Server hardware.
    • Active Directory Domain environment for Logins/email/File Shares
    • DAT Backup Tape drive / Online storage facility
    • A decent unmanaged gigabit switch.
    • A hardware firewall. The one provided by your ISP or maybe something along these lines if you intend to use VPN etc.
    • Server based Anti Virus. Examples: Sophos, McAfee, Symantec
    • Maintenance agreement for your office PC's/ Server (Service level Agreement)

I'm sure others will chip in with other bits but it's better to be informed before talking to these guys so you don't end up with a load of equipment you dont need.

Good Luck

LoGIE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭defib

Thanks - We are in Dublin - Terenure.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭Boskonay

Stick a server in the cloud, ensure everyone has internet access via wifi or a basic network... done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Boskonay wrote: »
    Stick a server in the cloud, ensure everyone has internet access via wifi or a basic network... done.

Yeah because the SLAs for ISPs are so awesome right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

defib wrote: »
    Hi,

Ok I hope this is the right place to ask. Our company in/has expanded from one PC to 7. Plus accounts etc... Its all up to now networked but a DIY job.
    We now need someone to setup backups and assist.

Anyone know a company or person who can help?

If you PM an email address i can send you a quotation and references !

For 7 PCs...those companies are going to charge you a premium !

Cloud...the way from 1 PC to cloud,i reckon is better to use an internal server first.Baby steps,walk before running in some ISP hands T&Cs and never ever being able to go back as a free end-user ! :)

Good luck...
    Regards

• Advertisement

Yeah because the SLAs for ISPs are so awesome right?

As good as having the servers in the office and trying to get in from the outside - and easily circumvented by using two isps :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭defib

rolion wrote: »
    If you PM an email address i can send you a quotation and references !

For 7 PCs...those companies are going to charge you a premium !

Cloud...the way from 1 PC to cloud,i reckon is better to use an internal server first.Baby steps,walk before running in some ISP hands T&Cs and never ever being able to go back as a free end-user ! :)

Good luck...
    Regards

PM sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Tomtata

Hi,

If you want a comparison drop me a PM, I'll provide a quote plus references.

Regards

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Cloud is great if you've got the dual links to cover your ass and could expect fast speeds for a reasonable price....but then again your in Ireland.

defib wrote: »
    PM sent

Thanks for your time and for the opportunity to asses your network and provide you with a quotation.

With your permission,i might say that solution quoted is based around a HP rack server running SBS2011,on Quad Core and 10GB RAM,2x1TB hard,2X1GB nic.Backup done on a rack mounted LTO3 and ArcServe SBS backup software,with daily,weekly and monthly scheduled tasks.Additional UPS for protection,rack mounted.
    .. and few days deployment/migration/testing and free support,as part of the quotation...

Thanks again and regards !

Good luck.

• Advertisement

That's a fine heap of metal :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Hell of a lot of metal for only 7 users.. looks to be going overboard a small bit, to say the least..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

rolion wrote: »
    HP rack server running SBS2011,on Quad Core and 10GB RAM,2x1TB hard,2X1GB nic.Backup done on a rack mounted LTO3 and ArcServe SBS backup software

All this for 7 users, really?

Hi,

I will try to keep the OP identity completely private (even if he knows mine)and with all due respect,i will attempt asking last few posts...

so,the business has expanded from few desktops and users,all using peer-to-peer network to a level that this system is no more sustainable:no tracebility,no accountability,no redundancy and no central access,management,backup and why not,ownership !
    There are no special requirements regarding security access from internal users,except the standard private 'home directory" for each user.

Business has few desktops (7+1),a main database application running so called "students booking" that needs access from all desktops as client-server setup, accounts package with access for 2 users, email access,file access,printing on few deskjets and on laserjet,a copier/scanner mfp.Also,mobile access for 5 users,if i'm right.

So...according to user,he expressed the request to be on a rack mounted kit,in to a server rack cabinet in a new location.

Server
    -HP rack mounted server HP DL120 G6 (minimum version available of hardware for rack kit)
    -Quad Core...pointless to raise any questions here as one of my phones has dual core !!!!
    -10 GB RAM(as recommended by uncle Microsoft,and in practice after few installations,anything less than 8GB is a no-no !!!)
    -2x1TB in hardware controller RAID1 (tried faster,better hdds in RAID5 but at €400 a piece i had to say no),also,if is raid1,there is no expansion available unless you add another 2 disks,another money,another time,another downtime for data transfer and migration in the future and ... less income for me... :)
    -2x1Gb dual nic (with built-in nic teaming,4Gb full duplex...pointless to ask why... )
    -4hours,13hours over 5 days response time from HP ( i remember logging a call at 11pm for a redundant fan in a msa unit and got a call from HP at 2'30am to confirm and validate the call...when asked what time is in India,the poor girl said i have 4h response time and she needs to validate call and address.at 7:30am,saturday,i had delivery from UPS....).ALL my business servers have 4h response time,engineer on site even if the part arrives from Santry... :)
    -mouse,keyboard,monitor,as standard...

all these coming at €1800 ex.

NEXT...

SBS2011 with 10 CALs,i reckon is standard price across most online stores and trade shops : less than €700.

NEXT...

Backup...do not get started with backups on to removable hard drives as i would not answer it...SO,an LTO1,2 is out of conversation.LTO4,5 as well ,due to price!So,the most logical selection is LTO3,with 400/800GB,a solution that cannot be upgraded in less than 6 years down the road,as you can backup your live business data safely on to a cartdridge of realistic speaking 550G of data.I am open to suggestions why YES and why NO !
    Also,by combining individual media tapes with daily,weekly and monthly will cover any recoveries,data protection regulations and owner business.Also,my job...
    ArcServe for backup of files ,exchange,sharepoint and so on...Also,it has a sweet facility that other tried backups solutions by me doesn't have it.......file copy from server on to removable drives !!! AND,it copies at minute and...file structure pre-servations,IDEAL for a live backup,once an hour from live server,on to removable hard drive for up to one hour data recovery:unplug the 2TB drive,plug it in to local pc,access latest stored location and...voila,up&running !!! ... while you do the restore from the tape !! how much for the business in loss time ??? zero...

and ... is coming at less than €1800.

NEXT

UPS,i think is pointless to raise any questions about it... less than €270 ex.

NEXT

installation -> pre-sales consultation,pre-installation user meeting, data capture, third party suppliers approach, with minimum downtime,risk and post-migration user 'experience'...3 days ! Also,free 30 days post installation on-site support !
    cost...not sure,i lost that document... :)

So for a business that started ok,then expanded and hopefully grows,i do not see any other options.Cloud is out of discussions due to internal LoB requirements.The only thing that i might 'adjust' is the format of hardware from rack to tower,but these days that difference reflected / converted in money is less than a weekend away !!! Also,the final quoted solution has a lifetime of 6 (six) years with no upgrades or any other add-ons with the exception of the 3 years hardware warranty care paq after year 3...

Please,please correct me when and where i'm wrong !

Regards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

thats sounds fine, it sounded from your first post that the specs were way to high, but in details it looks a fine solution.. Not a fan of tape backup myself, but Ultrium drives are fine..

Good luck with it..

Advertisement