Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing aluminium guttering thats riveted

• 15-06-2011 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hello
    i'm looking to remove a 4 metre length of guttering. due to leaks at a corner that i can't seem to patch.
    i plan to replace with pvc guttering, witch i have ready to install

The aluminium guttering seems to be riveted onto the fascia board
    does anybody know of the best way to remove the guttering other than drilling the rivets

thanks!

163401.JPG

P1030478.JPG

163402.JPG

P1030477.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

I would imagine that you would need to drill the rivets out. You can try and pry them off the fascia board bu I'd say you will only damage it.

Why don't you want to drill? Its only a few seconds with a metal bit and a drill and is very clean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭sausagehead

Hi, some might be a bit awkward to get at, the rivets are flat headed so i can imagine the drill bit sliding off the head..... that sort of thing!

but yeah ...your probably right, its the only way i guess without wrecking the boards

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

The metal bits have a point on them so they don't tend to slide around on the surface you're drilling into - take it easy for the first few seconds until you create a "dent" and it should be plain sailing from there.

ok will give it ago ...cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭altor

Another way if you cant get the drill in at them is a hammer and chisel.

• Advertisement

yeah, if they are aluminium rivets they would break off easily i imagine!
    will try that too!

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

If the guttering is like mine dont drill! Mine has a long aluminium spike ( like a fat six inch nail ) hammered through both sides of the top of the gutter into the fascia with a long cylindrical spacer in between. Use a vice grips to pull out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

If its a seamless aluminium gutter that's in place, then its not rivets. Its long aluminium nails that are used as suggested above.

Give the inside of the outer gutter rim a whack with the hammer beside the nail and it should hoik it out enough to be removed.

If the guttering is like mine dont drill! Mine has a long aluminium spike ( like a fat six inch nail ) hammered through both sides of the top of the gutter into the fascia with a long cylindrical spacer in between. Use a vice grips to pull out.
    If its a seamless aluminium gutter that's in place, then its not rivets. Its long aluminium nails that are used as suggested above.

Give the inside of the outer gutter rim a whack with the hammer beside the nail and it should hoik it out enough to be removed.

Gentlemen,your right about it being a nail but not a long one spanning both sides of the guttering, its only attaching the inside of the guttering to the fascia with a bracket going across the guttering you can see in the photo's
    took a hammer and chisel to one of the nails i only slightly bent the head
    not budging a bit:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭ronaldo84

i cant see your pictures for some reason but is your guttering fixed on with an internal bracket like this images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfGhmDLs4p7XzzxP6_vwIHqeMhMcqAxEFuow86nz8EE4h-yq3V if so its a two and a half inch nail which is driven trough the back of the guttering

• Advertisement

yes that it!
    a claw hammer underneath the guttering might do the job!

sorry about the non-existent photo's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Pics don't work.

Worst case scenario, get a grinder and a steel cutting disc, cut the nails in the middle and slide off the gutter. you can then pull out the remainder of the nails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Tap a crowbar under the bracket and lever off.

a nail bar would be the best to lever out the nail but becareful u dont damage the fascia a block of waste wood e.g 2x1 would be helpful behind the bar. the nails have good grip as they are ring shanked

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

A good quality hacksaw blade mounted in a pad saw handle or just wrapped with a bit of lagging and tape for a handle, will allow you to cut through the nails between the gutter and the fascia. The bi-metal blades for reciprocating saws can be used too. Come to think of it, if you don't want to develop your biceps you could use a reciprocating saw with a metal cutting blade :p
    There's less chance of bruising the fascia board too. You'll fly through them - chances are they're aluminium.
    You might need to think about what happens when the gutter is about to come down, especially if you're working at a height.
    When you're done, you'll wonder how you ever got by without such a tool.

if u had a centre punch and a 3mm HSS bit you could put a dot punch in the centre of the nail head and bore trough the head. leave one in the middle untill last so u can hold it with one hand. there will be no damage to the fascia this way. becareful working at height

Advertisement