Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your Views On Downloading Movies Music ect.

• 15-06-2011 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭

Downloading all types of files have been readily available on the internet for years now.It has changed the face of the earth in how we go about our day to day lives as a sort of entertainment at home or on the go.But has it almost become acceptable to download movies and music for free in this day and age.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

ap1986 wrote: »
    Downloading all types of files have been readily available on the internet for years now.It has changed the face of the earth in how we go about our day to day lives as a sort of entertainment at home or on the go.But has it almost become acceptable to download movies and music for free in this day and age.

I think it's become a part of life that almost every piece of media is available on the net at a moments notice. I download a lot of old movies and documentaries and love that I can find them online when they're not available in the video store. I also go to the cinema at least once a week so I feel I also contribute to the movie industry and am not "cheating" them of revenue. I absolutely refuse to watch any sort of cam recording of a new release, just terrible.

I'd like to also add that I would happily pay a reasonable fee to any service that could provide the kind of media I'm looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭ap1986

I think it's become a part of life that almost every piece of media is available on the net at a moments notice. I download a lot of old movies and documentaries and love that I can find them online when they're not available in the video store. I also go to the cinema at least once a week so I feel I also contribute to the movie industry.

I'd like to also add that I would happily pay a reasonable fee to any service that could provide the kind of media I'm looking for.
    your in the same boat as myself i have thousands of cds and dvds at home and am a frequent cinema goer but when i see something old that i cant get in the shops i can download it with one click in an instant.the only thing that gets me is the whole fact that this process is still deemed 'illegal' and and strictly frowned upon by others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭kirving

I don't download movies, never got into a habit of it, but I don't see how the movie companies can claim that they're losing the price of a DVD everytime someone downloads them.

People download moves that they would never consider buying in a shop, so the movie company wouldn't have made money anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Haven't bought a CD in probably 12 years, and I download a lot of music. Ipod has around 14k songs on it.

DVDs - I used to buy like crazy, had a fairly massive collection but I stopped buying around a year ago... then sold all of my dvds. Download a LOT of movies and TV series and watch them all through my Xbox.

I dont feel guilty about it at all. Go to the cinema at least once a week, even when there is rubbish on. Go to a lot of gigs and buy a lot of merch supporting the artists I like.

I don't download movies, never got into a habit of it, but I don't see how the movie companies can claim that they're losing the price of a DVD everytime someone downloads them.

People download moves that they would never consider buying in a shop, so the movie company wouldn't have made money anyway!
    i fully agree but how can a movie company/music shop justify paying in excess of 20 euros for a dvd.like i understand some dvds come with bonus features and all that but this day and age these items should be well cheaper

• Advertisement

maximoose wrote: »
    Haven't bought a CD in probably 12 years, and I download a lot of music. Ipod has around 14k songs on it.

DVDs - I used to buy like crazy, had a fairly massive collection but I stopped buying around a year ago... then sold all of my dvds. Download a LOT of movies and TV series and watch them all through my Xbox.

I dont feel guilty about it at all. Go to the cinema at least once a week, even when there is rubbish on. Go to a lot of gigs and buy a lot of merch supporting the artists I like.
    same here i download a lot of music but when ever a major festival pops up home or abroad im always the first in the queue,so thats my bit done in relation to supporting the arts as far as im concerned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Don't do music so never bothered downloading songs, am a bit touch and go with movies. I've downloaded plenty and have ended up buying dvds of some of the ones I enjoy, ignored alot after watching it. Do have a ridiculous amount of games though, and it pretty much never occurs to me to pirate games. prefer them boxed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Music - the odd time. But I'm in to those really rare metal\sludge bands (you've probably never heard of! :pac:). But I do go to the gigs and support the artist in any way I can (cd's, t shirts).

Movies - odd time too. But again I go to the cinema so they get their buck from me.

Games - nope. I've got a shiny 360 that I wouldn't like modded or broken and my pc is sh*te anyways so that couldn't run anything made in the last eight years!

I do like buying special editions of cd's\games\movies though.

RedXIV wrote: »
    Don't do music so never bothered downloading songs, am a bit touch and go with movies. I've downloaded plenty and have ended up buying dvds of some of the ones I enjoy, ignored alot after watching it. Do have a ridiculous amount of games though, and it pretty much never occurs to me to pirate games. prefer them boxed
    ya cant beat the real deal alright but can the price of them be justified

chin_grin wrote: »
    Music - the odd time. But I'm in to those really rare metal\sludge bands (you've probably never heard of! :pac:). But I do go to the gigs and support the artist in any way I can (cd's, t shirts).

Movies - odd time too. But again I go to the cinema so they get their buck from me.

Games - nope. I've got a shiny 360 that I wouldn't like modded or broken and my pc is sh*te anyways so that couldn't run anything made in the last eight years!

I do like buying special editions of cd's\games\movies though.
    if they were cheaper would you buy more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

RedXIV wrote: »
    I'd buy music if i could get true CD quality drm free. But I don't listen to much music anyway.

Movies I download for my media box and buy the good ones on bluray after.

TV series, I download because they are delayed or not shown here. It seems I can't buy a region 2 dvd version of Castle so downloaded version will have to do for now.

Games are ahead of the curve in entertainment. Instant download of games bought and good sales. Most of my games are bought during sales on steam and gamersgate.

I'd buy Movies and TV downloads drm free but not streamed which seems to be the way they want to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

The stuff I download I would never have bought anyway so they haven't lost a sale really.

if they were cheaper would you buy more?

Funny you mention. I'm very anal about buying new. So I usually wait a while until the price comes down or until they're in a deal in the shops.

Funny you mention. I'm very anal about buying new. So I usually wait a while until the price comes down or until they're in a deal in the shops.
    ive never bought a new release as soon as they hit the shops for the simple reason its way too pricey.....normally when it gets under the ten euro mark i jump at the offer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭RedXIV

ya cant beat the real deal alright but can the price of them be justified

When you look at the processes involved I'd say they kinda can. For example a film with $100m budget won't make much money if it's dvds are selling for €3 each.

But as I said, I'm not big on music or movies, i'm more a games man (usually more expensive again) and as said above, I'm a chump for special editions etc.

I think the games industry has it right and I can see other mediums catching up too with the idea of games being so easily downloaded and bought etc.

I've said this before and its a bit controversial but if you're someone like me who's dropping €100-€150 a month on games, I feel, not right, but excused when i decide to download the occasional movie. Two different industries sure but still, I'm not pirating everything i COULD

ive never bought a new release as soon as they hit the shops for the simple reason its way too pricey.....normally when it gets under the ten euro mark i jump at the offer...

Plus you've got great deals online like Zavvi. But I think I see your point. Is the cost of media causing more downloads. It'd be an important factor, sure.

Plus you've got great deals online like Zavvi. But I think I see your point. Is the cost of media causing more downloads. It'd be an important factor, sure.
    is downloading killing the entire industry or just throwing a spanner in the works?

is downloading killing the entire industry or just throwing a spanner in the works?

If you take in to account how long piracy has been "an issue" (ever since the 'ol 56k connections and napster), then not really. It's still thriving. I think now more than ever!

Just look at the blockbusters in the cinema and their takings on opening weekends or new release numbers on cd's or games.

Advertisement