Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing Sheelin for the 1st time this weekend

Options
  • 15-06-2011 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Not sure where to start on such a big water- used to river trouting.
    anybody got any advice on flies, methods, locations?

Renting a boat for the day, really looking forward to it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

www.fisheriesireland.ie/Download-document/72-Lough-Sheelin-guide.html
    dont forget you need a permit to fish this lake.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

When I fished Sheelin a couple of times last year most people were fishing the drifts around Church island.

All the rocks are marked, which is great.

Best of luck, let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

I have been on it a good few times recently, the mayfly is over now and lake stuffed with perch fry, some sedges hatching and trout are taking them in suitable conditions..... But the lough has been subject to a huge angling pressure this year and the trout are easily spooked, much easier spooked than in recent seasons. Despite the hyped up 'reports' it is actually quite hard to get trout from Sheelin, its all about correct timing and methods. You need a permit and the fishery board are on the lough most days checking them.
    Stocks of wild trout are in recovery stage so please practise catch and release on this lough.

Slasher wrote: »
    All the rocks are marked, which is great.

not ALL of them are marked, most are but not all. the lough is very low now.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭zacmorris

Thanks for the guide :) and thanks for the info lads.
    @Ironblue- cheers for that. I have zero interest in bringing home any of my catch- i'm more than happy with the sport! Do you have any recommendations on flies for perch fry? Suppose many of the lures I use for rainbows would work??

Really looking forward to it now!
    Cheers.

• Advertisement

zacmorris wrote: »
    Thanks for the guide :) and thanks for the info lads.
    @Ironblue- cheers for that. I have zero interest in bringing home any of my catch- i'm more than happy with the sport! Do you have any recommendations on flies for perch fry? Suppose many of the lures I use for rainbows would work??

Really looking forward to it now!
    Cheers.

Ok no problem glad to help. I am not too familiar with rainbow lures so wont go down that road although sometimes large lures do work. For perch fry try silver and gold bodied wet flies, silver invicta, dunkeld etc. But if it was me going i would be out with small dry flies in the evening time. There should be some murrough fishing into dark. Dont be in too much of a hurry to get out on the water early, best fishing time is from early evening to well after dark. Best of luck.

heading to sheelin again this sat. how's it fishing, anyone got any reports on the leVels, temps, what's working etc? We usually launch from Crover house hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

heading to sheelin again this sat. how's it fishing, anyone got any reports on the leVels, temps, what's working etc? We usually launch from Crover house hotel.

It's a ball breaker :-( full of great fish but small fish seem to be very rare unlike the corrib which has a good mix of big and small fish , weather like this you'd be time enough on water at 730 IMO , tight lines

Thanks for that. Yeah we blanked last time we went! Hoping this warm weather will make for good fishing sat / sun as last time the lake was very cold.

Hopefully it works out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

It can be very hit and miss. I was on it over the weekend lots of fly but no fish rising. Truth is, and you will find out for yourself, It can be very hard work.

• Advertisement

Flysfisher wrote: »
    It can be very hit and miss. I was on it over the weekend lots of fly but no fish rising. Truth is, and you will find out for yourself, It can be very hard work.

Thanks for that. Everyone keeps saying the same thing. Wonder would we be better heading to corrib! not that much of a difference in travel time from Dublin.

Thanks for that. Everyone keeps saying the same thing. Wonder would we be better heading to corrib! not that much of a difference in travel time from Dublin.

Much better IMO if its sport your after as has been said Sheelin is been heavily fished at moment on it last 3 nights , no fish and they are very easily spooked by boats .

Looks like Mayfly was good this year on Sheelin.

"Best Mayfly fishing recorded on Lough Sheelin in over forty years with over 1,000 trout recorded in the past week."
    http://fishinginireland.info/news/trout-reports/best-mayfly-fishing-recorded-on-lough-sheelin-in-over-forty-years-with-over-1000-trout-recorded-in-the-past-week/

Best of luck.

There's a Gathering event on Sheelin this weekend, so it'll be pretty busy up there.

Slasher wrote: »
    Looks like Mayfly was good this year on Sheelin.

"Best Mayfly fishing recorded on Lough Sheelin in over forty years with over 1,000 trout recorded in the past week."
    http://fishinginireland.info/news/trout-reports/best-mayfly-fishing-recorded-on-lough-sheelin-in-over-forty-years-with-over-1000-trout-recorded-in-the-past-week/

Best of luck.

There's a Gathering event on Sheelin this weekend, so it'll be pretty busy up there.

Yea a gathering event, would you believe it, then a huge catch and kill competition the day after, my god were not capable of learning from the past are we, that lake is really getting a hammering. Loads of clowns killing trout.

Yea a gathering event, would you believe it, then a huge catch and kill competition the day after, my god were not capable of learning from the past are we, that lake is really getting a hammering. Loads of clowns killing trout.

They insist on publicity so it's only natural some anglers go to the jewel in the crown , after been heavily fished last 2 weeks and as you rightly said big kill expected on Sunday aswell not exactly in its favour . On the bright side they can always stock it up again .

madred006 wrote: »
    They insist on publicity so it's only natural some anglers go to the jewel in the crown , after been heavily fished last 2 weeks and as you rightly said big kill expected on Sunday aswell not exactly in its favour . On the bright side they can always stock it up again .

They can always stock it up again! Can they? How many years does it take for a lake to replace a 2lb WILD trout that was needlessly killed to satisfy a competition anglers ego?

They can always stock it up again! Can they? How many years does it take for a lake to replace a 2lb WILD trout that was needlessly killed to satisfy a competition anglers ego?

Firstly I agree with you and your points I think it stinks to have free day on it sat and biggest comp of year on Sunday and yet the very same people are the ones urging people not to kill the golden goose as they say .As for replacing a 2lb fish they just buy them in that size as they have done in the past .

Sheelin is a big lake and can handle the pressure being put on it , seemingly so no need to worry about it.

Shearling is a big lake and can handle the pressure being put on it , seemingly so no need to worry about it.

Don't mind that stuff coming out of the IFI. Boats will and do spook larger trout. The size of the lake has little to do with it. Trout won't be everywhere.

Firstly I agree with you and your points I think it stinks to have free day on it sat and biggest comp of year on Sunday and yet the very same people are the ones urging people not to kill the golden goose as they say .As for replacing a 2lb fish they just buy them in that size as they have done in the past .

I think you are confusing wild and stocked trout. There is no comparison.

• Advertisement

I think you are confusing wild and stocked trout. There is no comparison.

So just to clarify , are you saying Sheelin is not stocked ?

Pat Kenny Show reporter Marie Louise O’Donnell accompanied by Michael Flannagan (angling reporter) visited the lake (Sheelin) and this excursion conversation will be on the Pat Kenny show between 10 and 12 this Tuesday June 18th.

http://fishinginireland.info/news/trout-reports/a-carpet-of-spent-and-broken-reeds-provide-a-haven-for-feeding-trout-in-sheelin/

Advertisement