Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stag Weekend - Something Different

• 15-06-2011 4:47pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Guys,

Going on another thread, I need to organise a stag for a mate who is getting married this year and I'm looking for some ideas here. He is located in Central Europe and most of the people going will be located there with 4 or possibly 5 coming from Ireland including myself.

He getting married in Sept.. Short notice I know but sure thats European weddings for ya, engagement and marriage in less than 6 months.. and not a shotgun in sight :D

Anyway, his future missus isnt too sure about a stag weekend and is trying to convince him not to have one, but obviously the lads want to organise one as a send off. Nothing too crazy, just a lads weekend away, a few beers, some activities and a bit of craic.

Will be avoiding the usual tacky strip clubs, no one has any interest in them and saving our time for something different. So any suggestions are appreciated.

Costs will be an issue due to the current climate, so have to take into account however a cheap ryanair flight can solve many issues and the accommodation doesnt have to be too crazy cost wise.

I also have to ease her fears that nothing is going to happen to him, we are a sensible lot and not into doing stupid pranks or anything like that so he should be relatively safe, we hope.. :D

Any ideas are welcome..

Tox

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Moved from tGC,you will probably get better idea's for abroad activities here OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Go-kating, then paintball then go out drinking for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I was just on a stag in London and had a good time. It was very tame with nothing weird or pervy. Essentially we met up in a cheap hotel, had an afternoon drink, hit a very good steak house and stuffed ourselves silly. The steak house donated an ENOURMOUS Zombie cocktail to the groom too.

From there we had one more drink in a local bar and hit a comedy night in a comedy club.

After that it was just a bar or two more and a night club.

I can dig out the name of the comedy club and steak house if you like.

Here in Frankfurt, which I live near, there is a few funny ideas which are probably getting boring to locals but are quite comical to those from abroad.

One is that you can rent a bar for the day. Shorts, beers, taps, the lot. Barman included.

The difference here is that the bar is circular with the bar man in the middle and is on wheels.

The people sitting around the bar are provided with pedals which they work while drinking. This means the bike bar is going around the city as you drink. It is essentially an enourmous bike with an oval bar in the middle of it.

Again I do not have the details to hand but I can look it up more should you be interested. Frankfurt also has a decent night life with good bars, good cocktail bars and a few well known night clubs. Also one night club to entirely avoid recently where they paid for cheap bouncers, those bouncers killed a guy, then the website of that club said "Sorry we have been closed, the PARTY will be back on on friday" only two days latter. classy or what?

But generally frankfurt is a good one, and cheap to fly to. They have some interesting concept places too such as a Restaurant where you eat in pitch blackness which gives you the feeling of what it must be like to be blind. A real good idea and great food. There is also a restaurant that serves you a 7 or 8 course meal in a kind of seating that essentially means they are serving you in bed.

There is also some options such as pubs on boats, so you get on a short 2 or 3 hour cruise and get some good sights, good beer, some tacky but passable casio keyboard music. The one I would recommend is Frankfurt to Aschaffenburg because the destination Aschaffenburg where I am living now has also some good sights, bars and a few late night choices. The boat is a few hours of drinking too with good sights. The trip back to Frankfurt by train is either 29 or 45 minutes depending on which train type you pay for.

Id say a two day stag with day 1 as pub on a bike, dinner in the dark or in bed, then some frankfurt bars and clubs, then day 2 is an early boat and beer to Aschaffenburg before hitting some bars and stuff there... then a train back to Frankfurt... would be an all round good weekend away! See below on drinking on the train too.

Ryanair technically fly to Frankfurt but if you can afford aerlingus or lufthansa do so as the Ryanair airport is a 2 hour bus ride from frankfurt, and the bus costs some money too. So by the time you factor in the bus tickets and time lost, it tends to be worth forking out the extra for the direct flight.

Alternative is of course aer lingus to munich. Its a good city. Option there also to train it to Frankfurt for a second night out there and fly back from frankfurt. Two cities in one weekend. Drinking is allowed on the trains too and a 6 pack from a super market to take onto the train will leave you with change from a fiver here.

Finally I could recommend the poorly written, but still somewhat useful book "How low can you go".

It is a book written by a guy who followed all the cheap ryanair flights there was available and wrote about where he ended up and what was to do there for people, single, groups or stags etc.

It might provide some additional inspiration that may point you on an interesting track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Hi lad i was in the same boat as yourself. Stag do in august this year. 25 ppl going and I decided to book Leeds for everyone. Flights were €38 return from Dublin and bewleys hotel triple room worked out at £20 each a night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Obviously out of season but skiing is great idea for a stag. Fairly expensive but much more memorable then the regular piss up. However Krakow is great spot for that sorta thing. With some good fun to be had during the day.

Advertisement