Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephen Mc Elligott

• 15-06-2011 4:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Hey there just recorded and mixed this track over the week. I was hoping to take the track into a more modern/alt/country/folk sound like mumford and sons type stuff but have been told it's taken the complete and opposite direction and sounds ''outdated'' folk/alt/country

please follow the link to my taxi page and simply give it a listen and tell me what you think. note that there are two versions of this song. One is a skeletal demo which is available for download but the other finished product ( the one I really would like you to critique ) is only available for ''playing''.

let me know your thoughts: www.taxi.com/stephenmcelligott

Jammy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

Listened to the finished version. Think overall it's quite good; the vocals seem to vary in accents throughout it though. When it's not sounding like a direct Dylan ripoff it's almost Cockney Rebel. I think the violin solo goes on for too long and the "she blew me away" line is lacklustre in tone, but those minor gripes aside I think it's quite catchy. Not my usual genre but I enjoyed it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

Sunshine! wrote: »
    Listened to the finished version. Think overall it's quite good; the vocals seem to vary in accents throughout it though. When it's not sounding like a direct Dylan ripoff it's almost Cockney Rebel. I think the violin solo goes on for too long and the "she blew me away" line is lacklustre in tone, but those minor gripes aside I think it's quite catchy. Not my usual genre but I enjoyed it

Yes I thought the violin goes on a bit long meself and that the she blew me away line you say needs to be given more ''tone'' as in made more obvious and really ''sung'' and pushed forward a little more? also where abouts in the track do you feel the accent varies or is that difficult to pin point?

What about it's modernity? does it have modern appeal? Thanks for your reply. It's always good to hear from someone who doesnt usually listen to this type of Genre and it helps a lot.

Jammy

Years ago on the Den (may be before your time) in the Ray Darcy era, they had a "chipper" in the corner. Any time a customer came they asked "DO YOU WANT A LARGE CHIPS (then mutter) or a small chips). Without meaning to sound offensive, the title line sounds like a small chips! The accent changing is prevailing throughout it, but even in the first verse you can probably see what I mean of going from Just Like a Woman to Come Up and See Me. It's not offputting, it's different, but I'm not sure it's a successful gets-sales-quirkiness.

As for modern appeal I'm afraid I'm not the one to ask for that. I've a diverse music taste but don't care much for the offerings of the last few years so not up to date. But as I said I enjoyed it =)

Also forgot to say, congrats on the hard work!

Years ago on the Den (may be before your time) in the Ray Darcy era, they had a "chipper" in the corner. Any time a customer came they asked "DO YOU WANT A LARGE CHIPS (then mutter) or a small chips). Without meaning to sound offensive, the title line sounds like a small chips! The accent changing is prevailing throughout it, but even in the first verse you can probably see what I mean of going from Just Like a Woman to Come Up and See Me. It's not offputting, it's different, but I'm not sure it's a successful gets-sales-quirkiness.

As for modern appeal I'm afraid I'm not the one to ask for that. I've a diverse music taste but don't care much for the offerings of the last few years so not up to date. But as I said I enjoyed it =)

Also forgot to say, congrats on the hard work!

First off: thank you for the recent friend request here on boards.

But yeah I'm seeing where you are coming from. I remember Dylan used to change his accent from americana to Irish sounding in his tracks as well. Whether or not such a tone works for me is debatable and I'm confident that my vocal needs to be fairly consistent throughout.

Yeah so the ''hey hey she blew me away'' needs to climax a little more right? so what your saying is it needs to be SHE BLEW ME AWAY rather than just ''she blew me away''.

apart from the rather lengthy violin solo whats your take on the over all arrangement and direction of the song itself musical wise. and with the main vocal out of the way what was your take on the harmonies for it throughout?

No worries about being offensive. if its the worst song you've ever had the displeasure to burn your ears on let me know :o:pac::D

It's not in my nature to be offensive unless I'm royally pished off about something, so you're quite safe with me ;) Also there's no risk of being the worst song I've ever had the misfortune of listening to, I think you can agree with that straight up!

I'm not sure if belting it out louder is the answer; I honestly don't know but do think it needs more focus on it, maybe cut the sounds or something to highlight it for effect even, such as "hey hey HEY! *silence* she blew me away! *resume*"

Musically it was pretty solid. If I was making any suggestions here it would just be nitpicking because I thought it went together quite well

• Advertisement

It's not in my nature to be offensive unless I'm royally pished off about something, so you're quite safe with me ;) Also there's no risk of being the worst song I've ever had the misfortune of listening to, I think you can agree with that straight up!

I'm not sure if belting it out louder is the answer; I honestly don't know but do think it needs more focus on it, maybe cut the sounds or something to highlight it for effect even, such as "hey hey HEY! *silence* she blew me away! *resume*"

Musically it was pretty solid. If I was making any suggestions here it would just be nitpicking because I thought it went together quite well

Cheers Sunshine, will take all the above on board and see what I can do. knitpickin can be a good thing though as it helps me polish the overall production and sound and so on.

Jammy

She Blew Me Away is now up on Soundcloud. Please hit the ''share'' button and get it on your FB if you like it.

http://soundcloud.com/stephenmmartyr/she-blew-me-away

The track is now available on Jango international internet radio. Here is my page: http://www.jango.com/music/Stephen+Mc+Elligott

Please show your support if you like the song and give it the thumbs up.

Rough and ready on the couch here is a song I recorded and stuck up on youtube. It's called Mr.Lazybones. Hope you enjoy it and if you want you can follow me on my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stephen-Mc-Elligott/135095119925983

Or you can follow me on my soundcloud page:

www.soundcloud.com/stephenmcelligott

here are some more links that may be of interest to you:
    www.taxi.com/stephenmcelligott
    www.indiecharts.com/stephenmcelligott

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Threads merged.

Thanks jeff. I wasnt sure if raising an old thread would annoy anyone so I created a new one. Sorry if I offended.

Jammy.

Advertisement