Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

latest to close for second cut

• 15-06-2011 5:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭

when is the latest i can close a field for second cut silage?? haven't cut my fisrt cut yet hoping to do it next week or next fortnight, will that be too late for getting a second cut?? (might get away with only 1 cut depending on the amount of bales).thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

we did silage in november one year , so its never to late :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

We used to take a 3rd cut sometimes years ago so there is plenty time yet
    once you put out enough fertilizer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

whelan1 wrote: »
    we did silage in november one year , so its never to late :D
    Complete waste of time and money. You would have been better off grazing the grass at that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭stanflt

eorna wrote: »
    when is the latest i can close a field for second cut silage?? haven't cut my fisrt cut yet hoping to do it next week or next fortnight, will that be too late for getting a second cut?? (might get away with only 1 cut depending on the amount of bales).thanks

im planning to cut 20acres on an outfarm next week-it was already cut on the 3rd may-it will get 5000gals of slurry and 70units of can-meadow should be ready for 1st week in august so i can cut it to cover the barley wholecrop with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Complete waste of time and money. You would have been better off grazing the grass at that stage.
    thats your opinion :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

stanflt wrote: »
    im planning to cut 20acres on an outfarm next week-it was already cut on the 3rd may-it will get 5000gals of slurry and 70units of can-meadow should be ready for 1st week in august so i can cut it to cover the barley wholecrop with

jaysus first week in may that is early ...we didnt get our first cut till the first week in june :D but we only take two doe.....what kind of yeild would you have the first week in may ? ...ya must have been out early with the nitrogen any way :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

eorna wrote: »

Baled great silage at the end of Sept last year. Days starting to get short for wilting and weather a bit dodgy though if the land is wet land. Growth rates and quality dropping off at that stage, but I just needed it from maintaining suckler cows over the winter.

polod wrote: »
    jaysus first week in may that is early ...we didnt get our first cut till the first week in june :D but we only take two doe.....what kind of yeild would you have the first week in may ? ...ya must have been out early with the nitrogen any way :D
    I cut silage the end of April 5 bales/acre. I wouldn't like to be paying a contractor to cut silage every 6 weeks off the same field :( Three cuts would set you back around €400/acre :eek:

I cut silage the end of April 5 bales/acre. I wouldn't like to be paying a contractor to cut silage every 6 weeks off the same field :( Three cuts would set you back around €400/acre :eek:

ah right 5 bales to the acre would leave me short .........first week in june i yeilding 12 bales / acre :D but i only need it to maintain sucklers and grow weanlings :D

ah right 5 bales to the acre would leave me short .........first week in june i yeilding 12 bales / acre :D but i only need it to maintain sucklers and grow weanlings :D
    It was only a couple of acres as i was making sure the baler and wrapper were working properly :)

• Advertisement

It was only a couple of acres as i was making sure the baler and wrapper were working properly :)

awh right handyto have your own outfit ;) take it your from up eastern cavan any way ...wouldn't say they would be much silage cut up round glan or blacklion yet :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭stanflt

4000/kg/dm/ha or 6.7ton an acre- first of 3 splits of nitrogen out 1st week february

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

thanks lads, will cut asap and see..good to know have plenty of time...mayb fertilise around 1 of july, cut 1/2 september, if need extra bales.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭mattthetrasher

i was going to stop for 2nd cut but i think i will just blanket spread 30n on whole farm and remove surplus as bales so that way i keep grass quality and supply right for cows and topping taken care of all with the same or less amount of fert:)happy days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Strip graze it?

Advertisement