Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it Possible to change my upload Speed

Options
  • 15-06-2011 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi , im currently on The 7Mb broadband home advanced package , And was hoping to increase my upload speed , would i have to change to a business package to do so . Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Whats your current upload speed like?
    It may be possible to increase the upload depending if your line can take the extra speed.

Upload speed on DSL broadband is not great even mobile broadband can get over 1.2Mb/s where as DSL will handle a max of around 0.70Mb/s on a 7 meg line.

:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭djskip316i

Currently my upload is 384 kbps , Trying to upload vids on youtube is a nightmare ATM and when i am uploading anything , i cand do anything on my ps3 or the other laptop .

That upload isn't great for a 7Mb connection it should be set to something like 735kbps.

The reading of a 384kbps is something like a 3Mb package would have.
    Hopefully eircom can up your upload speed for you the internet becomes unusable when uploading at 384kbps.

Do you get the full 7Mb download speed?

Ya i was getting 6 - 6.5 before my download speed was downgraded due to latency issues .
    My Downstream Rate on my router is now set at 6144 kbps and i get 5.25Mbps on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

djskip316i wrote: »
    Ya i was getting 6 - 6.5 before my download speed was downgraded due to latency issues .
    My Downstream Rate on my router is now set at 6144 kbps and i get 5.25Mbps on that.

Thanks for post.

Yes the average download speed on a 6Mb connection would be around 4.8Mb to 5.3Mb.

If you are getting a lower broadband speed, please test your modem directly on the master phone socket - http://bit.ly/cTw6pU - Broadband Checklist

Once you have completed the above check, and if still experiencing slow speeds, please report this directly to Broadband Technical Support. The above check will confirm whether the connection problem is related to internal wiring or to an external fault. The Broadband Checklist will ensure that there is no call out fee if an engineer has to go out to your premises and it is found to be an non-eircom fault.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (Mon - Sun).

Once you call into Technical Support please retain your case case id /reference) and if need be we can follow this up for you.

Regards,
    Ant

• Advertisement

Thanks for post.

Yes the average download speed on a 6Mb connection would be around 4.8Mb to 5.3Mb.

If you are getting a lower broadband speed, please test your modem directly on the master phone socket - http://bit.ly/cTw6pU - Broadband Checklist

Once you have completed the above check, and if still experiencing slow speeds, please report this directly to Broadband Technical Support. The above check will confirm whether the connection problem is related to internal wiring or to an external fault. The Broadband Checklist will ensure that there is no call out fee if an engineer has to go out to your premises and it is found to be an non-eircom fault.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (Mon - Sun).

Once you call into Technical Support please retain your case case id /reference) and if need be we can follow this up for you.

Regards,
    Ant
    Thanks for the quick reply , But im looking to increase my upload speed as in the thread title , my download speed is fine .

Currently my upload is 384 kbps , Trying to upload vids on youtube is a nightmare ATM and when i am uploading anything , i cand do anything on my ps3 or the other laptop .

Hi djskip316i,

Thanks for post.

The Maximum and average download and upload speeds on a 7Mb connection are given on our website - www.eircom.net/speedtest

Home Advanced

Up to 7Mb
    **Maximum speeds -Download 7,168kbps ; Upload 384kbps
    Average speeds - Download 5800Kbs ; Upload 312Kb

** Maxmium speed is defined as the Max speed and is up to 7Mb on a 7Mb broadband connection.
    If your broadband is set at 6 Mb, the Max speed up to 6Mb.
    The average would be 4.8Mb - 5.3Mb

Upload speeds would also be approximately 75% - 80% of the Maximum upload speed. If your broadband connection is set at 6Mb then the Maximum upload speed is upto 3.8Mb and the average would be approximately 3.12Mb or 312Kb

Generally, both download and upload speeds are slightly higher than the average speed.

If you are getting lower speeds than the average speed, please test your modem on your master phone socket (mdp). Please temporarily disconnect any third party equipment (sky box(s), fax, long phone leads, etc) and remove the adsl splitter. Please ensure that you test just one computer and that you are not running any games console (Xbox, PS3, etc) while testing speed. Also try to test your connection while not running other applications; temp disconnect firewall(s), anti-virus or other software apps while testing your broadband speed.

Broadband Checklist - http://bit.ly/cTw6pU

If experiencing slow speeds, please report this directly to Broadband Technical Support.

Kind regards,

Ant

Ok thanks for the quick reply once again but it still doesnt answer my question in the original post . I am not having any connection problems with my My broadband package .

All i want to know is , is it possible to increase my upload speed from 384 kbps to maybe 512kbps or even higher .

All I basically want to do is increase my upload speed .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Ok thanks for the quick reply once again but it still doesnt answer my question in the original post . I am not having any connection problems with my My broadband package .

All i want to know is , is it possible to increase my upload speed from 384 kbps to maybe 512kbps or even higher .

On that package it is not possible, 384kb is the maximum speed. One 8Mb NGB it is 512kb and on 24Mb it is 768kb.

If you need any higher speeds you will need to move to a business package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hi djskip316i,

Each broadband package has a maximum upload and download speed cap.

SEE:

- http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/speedtest

It is not possible to increase the upload speed on a broadband package. The only option is if a customer wishes to upgrade to a higher package to avail of a higher upload speed.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

I've seen people on 7Mb who have the upload set to alot more than 384kbps?
    To be honest its a joke how slow the uploads are on DSL and i think its being limited by eircom you charge so much every month yet the upload speeds are so bad i know there is limitations on DSL broadband but like come on an increase of upload to around 500kbps isn't going to kill the line:P

jay93 wrote: »
    I've seen people on 7Mb who have the upload set to alot more than 384kbps?
    To be honest its a joke how slow the uploads are on DSL and i think its being limited by eircom you charge so much every month yet the upload speeds are so bad i know there is limitations on DSL broadband but like come on an increase of upload to around 500kbps isn't going to kill the line:P

I just came off the phone from Magnet , They can give me 8 down 1.1 up for 40 EURO p/m , so it looks like i will be moving to magnet over the next few days .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Yeah every half decent connection ive seen has about an upload speed of about 10% of the downspeed, getting 384kbps on a 6 mb line is quite low =/

I just came off the phone from Magnet , They can give me 8 down 1.1 up for 40 EURO p/m , so it looks like i will be moving to magnet over the next few days .

Thats a good offer for €40 a month :cool:
    Upload seems a bit more promising than eircom

see here in post number 8 where the person has a 512kbps upload on a 5.7Mb sync speed.If they can get a upload like that on under 6Mb your line should have no problem.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056297211

Thats a good offer for €40 a month :cool:
    Upload seems a bit more promising than eircom

see here in post number 8 where the person has a 512kbps upload on a 5.7Mb sync speed.If they can get a upload like that on under 6Mb your line should have no problem.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056297211

Thats because they are probably on the NGB 'scam' package . Which is not available or wont be at anytime soon .

Possibly :pac: tough it still should be no problem on non NGB packages.
    NGB is mostly aload of crap unless you live right beside an eircom exchange
    the NGB speeds are the same as standard then they sting you with overusage charges!.

Did magnet guarentee you will get an upload over 384kbps?.
    I use mobile broadband mostly and the upload exceeds over 2000kbps on a Meteor connection eircoms DSL network doesn't seem to meet the needs of 2011:rolleyes:

Possibly :pac: tough it still should be no problem on non NGB packages.
    NGB is mostly aload of crap unless you live right beside an eircom exchange
    the NGB speeds are the same as standard then they sting you with overusage charges!.

Did magnet guarentee you will get an upload over 384kbps?.
    I use mobile broadband mostly and the upload exceeds over 2000kbps on a Meteor connection eircoms DSL network doesn't seem to meet the needs of 2011:rolleyes:
    The didnt say what exactly my upload was capable of , is there any way of checking my line capability. The reason Eircom wont give me a higher upload is because a higher upload is not available in any of their non-NGB packages .:mad:

Just found out my upload is capable of 810Kbps which is a lot better than what eircom provide .

Ah right i see.So they must be restricting uploads on non-NGB packages:mad:

810kbps thats good maybe since Magnet can proivde upto 1.1Mb/s upload you should get the max your line will take instead of the limit Eircom have on the line.:)

Ya and the contention with magnet is only 12:1 while eircoms is 48:1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Bruno2010

Hi,

try this:

http://business.eircom.net/broadband/products/bb/7/

Rgds
    B

Thanks , the last time i checked the business packages the prices were crazy , but this one seems reasonable enough , I still cant understand why they wouldnt offer this as a home package .

Thanks , the last time i checked the business packages the prices were crazy , but this one seems reasonable enough , I still cant understand why they wouldnt offer this as a home package .

Hi djskip316,

Thanks for posting.

If you require any information on specific eircom residential, or Business Packages, please call directly into Broadband Sales.

Broadband Sales : 1800503303 (freefone).

Kind regards,
    Ant

Advertisement