Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purchased item caused damage to my windowsill

• 15-06-2011 5:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

Hi

I bought an item in a euro store in town (Dublin) which was to be placed on my windowsill at home. I bought the item a couple of months ago and when I removed it last week it has caused damage to the sill.

Who would be responsible for this damage? Would it be the retailer or manufacturer?
    I don't have a receipt but am sure I bought it in that particular branch.

Do I have a leg to stand on?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Whether or not you have a leg to stand on depends on the exact circumstances, and you have not given us enough information to allow anybody to give an informed opinion.

If anybody other than yourself is liable, it is the retailer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

Item was plastic and bought about 2 months ago.
    It's intended to sit on the sill but it appeared to have melted a bit in the heat and is stuck solid to the sill.

I have no proof that I bought it in that shop however

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Curious what the item actually is, was it designed to be placed on a sil?

In addition did it come with any warnings or instructions? If so did you follow these?

It's an air deodoriser thingy specifically for surfaces like window sills etc. Seems like the sun though had melted it.

That's the problem though, I've no original packaging and I can't remember if there were warnings on the packaging.

Maybe it'd be best if I contacted the manufacturer directly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭superfish

if it was a deodorizer it was more than likely not intended to be placed in direct sunlight and would probably have some sort of warning in regards to this , just give your window cill a good scrub it will be grand;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Why not go into the shop and see if they are still selling the product? If they are, you can look at the packaging and see if there are any warnings about use.

Yeah I did that and I can't see them for sale.
    Unfortunately the sill is damaged and needs to be replaced.

I suppose I'm wondering if it is the shops responsibility to replace the sill (providing the product was faulty) or the manufacturer.

If it was the latter I guess I'd rather go to them directly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You better be very sure that you followed all the instructions for the use of the device fully before you go to the shop or the manufacturer.

If you didn't, then you have no case at all, and you are fully liable.

Usually with such items there is a warning to keep out of direct sunlight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Call the manufacturer or use their website

They will be someone who can instantly answer your question
    There probably was a warning about leaving in the direct sunlight to cover themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

why not buy a pot of emulsion paint,a paint brush.......etc etc......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

sorry gloss for timber.....

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Formosa

Some further opinions here which you could read....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056299868

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Firstly, you need proof of purchase. I've dealt with some of those Euro stores in a professional capacity - their tills have no proper ePOS facilities, they are straightforward cash tills. The would not have any record of the purchase.

Secondly, you would need to show that you obeyed any and all instructions for use of the product.

Thirdly, you bought it in a Euro store. I wouldn't be too optimistic.

Formosa wrote: »
    Some further opinions here which you could read....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056299868

why how thoughtful of you formosa ;)

@Formosa Please take time to read the forum charter. General smart-arsery is not acceptable.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Electric sander, varnish. Why bother following it up? Replace the sill? What it do, burn through it? You'd have more hardship trying to follow it up.

Unfortunately it's not a timber sill but a plastic one. The damage caused is melted plastic which has also stained the sill. As it was meted and thus stuck to the sill, when it was removed it cracked the sill so not as straightforward as a paint job etc etc.

The packaging was thrown out pretty much the same day as I bought the item as I'm sure most people do so i can't check it.

I'm not looking to make a fast buck here or anything, just want to genuiney find out if the item was fit for purpose or not.

I guess what I'm really trying to find out is if ultimately the shop will end up forking out or the manufacturer. Obviously only is the product wasn't fit for purpose in the first place.

I'll definately ring the manufacturer first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

as far as im aware, any type of air fresheners need to be kept out of direct sunlight. but if you bought it in a pound shop its not exactly going to be high standard:rolleyes:

Is it a brand-name product or a chinese import?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Is there a radiator under your window? I've never heard of an air freshener gizmo that you put in a window. I would have thought that as a chemical you'd keep them out of direct sunlight.

As another poster suggested, google it or the brand and see if you can find any info on usage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Anything Plastic or Wax I put a placemat under it as its well known it'll transfer to PVC.

No Proof of Purchase
    You don't even know what the instructions were.

I'd give it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,026 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Unfortunately it's not a timber sill but a plastic one. The damage caused is melted plastic which has also stained the sill. As it was meted and thus stuck to the sill, when it was removed it cracked the sill so not as straightforward as a paint job etc etc.

The packaging was thrown out pretty much the same day as I bought the item as I'm sure most people do so i can't check it.

I'm not looking to make a fast buck here or anything, just want to genuiney find out if the item was fit for purpose or not.

I guess what I'm really trying to find out is if ultimately the shop will end up forking out or the manufacturer. Obviously only is the product wasn't fit for purpose in the first place.

I'll definately ring the manufacturer first

You bought an item in a Euro shop several months ago which you don't know if you used correctly, have no proof of purchase and think you know which store you got it in:confused:

The best you'll get is you're money back for the item if you are lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Unfortunately it's not a timber sill but a plastic one.

A plastic window sill is quite unusual. Wood & stone are the norm.

The product is probably petroleum based which would cause a reaction against the plastic.

Unfortunately I can't see how either the retailer or manufacturer can be held responsible as some form of reasonable responsibilty has to lie with the end user especially if the material used in the sill is not considered normal construction material. - The warning should have been with the sill rather than any product that may get placed on it.

maxer68 wrote: »
    A plastic window sill is quite unusual. Wood & stone are the norm.

The product is probably petroleum based which would cause a reaction against the plastic.

Unfortunately I can't see how either the retailer or manufacturer can be held responsible as some form of reasonable responsibilty has to lie with the end user especially if the material used in the sill is not considered normal construction material. - The warning should have been with the sill rather than any product that may get placed on it.

Plastic window sill ? she must have got them in the pound shop too, same place I bought my rubber door handles and nylon doors

superfish Please keep your comments helpful.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

superfish wrote: »
    Plastic window sill ? she must have got them in the pound shop too, same place I bought my rubber door handles and nylon doors

I've seen them on a good few holiday homes - they don't look great, but they don't grow moss. But it not a standard practice, hence, the sill should have come with some sort of warning rater than the product.

Don't forget many euro shops sell plenty of brand name products too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

It seems to me that the item could have been a refill or insert for a deodouriser.

In this case, I would expect it to stain anything it was put on.

In any case, without a receipt, and 2 months later , you are out of luck.

Best case you could hope for would be a refund on the purchase price.

Advertisement