Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rainbow Trout

Options
  • 15-06-2011 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

So I picked up a whole Rainbow Trout in superquinn today, they were only €2.50!

Any recommendations on what to do with it?

Im a bit of a newbie to fish, do I have 2 options on what to do? Either get the fillets off or take the guts out and stuff the cavity??

All guides and recommendations appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I'd go for gutting it. Insert slices of ginger, garlic & scallions in the cavity. Drizzle with soy sauce & finely chopped chillis & bake in a well-sealed tinfoil 'bag'. Serve with a squeeze of lime juice with noodles & stir fried veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,457 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Of nearly all fish, sea trout has to be the most delicate flavour (translate weak). A simple holindaise or a beurre blanc should work with maybe a bed of samphire

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Hill Billy wrote: »
    I'd go for gutting it. Insert slices of ginger, garlic & scallions in the cavity. Drizzle with soy sauce & finely chopped chillis & bake in a well-sealed tinfoil 'bag'. Serve with a squeeze of lime juice with noodles & stir fried veg.

That sounds really great! Any gutting technique guides?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Cider in tinfoil. Roast 20 mins.Honestly

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

NoQuarter wrote: »
    That sounds really great! Any gutting technique guides?

With a sharp knife - insert at the vent (arse) & draw lightly along the belly towards the head until almost at the gills. Stick your hand in & gently draw out the guts. Then a quick rinse of the cavity under cold running water.

• Advertisement

Hill Billy wrote: »
    With a sharp knife - insert at the vent (arse) & draw lightly along the belly towards the head until almost at the gills. Stick your hand in & gently draw out the guts. Then a quick rinse of the cavity under cold running water.

make sure you run your finger along the underside of the spine in the body cavity to break the blood sac before you wash it out

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

duploelabs wrote: »
    Of nearly all fish, sea trout has to be the most delicate flavour (translate weak). A simple holindaise or a beurre blanc should work with maybe a bed of samphire

True, but this is rainbow trout.

OP probably too late now, but I've found that fresh water trout (at least the wild brown trout I've been given - maybe different for farmed rainbow) can have a very strong 'brackish, earthy' taste which can be removed by scraping a knife along the skin to remove some of the oil in the skin.

True, but this is rainbow trout.

OP probably too late now, but I've found that fresh water trout (at least the wild brown trout I've been given - maybe different for farmed rainbow) can have a very strong 'brackish, earthy' taste which can be removed by scraping a knife along the skin to remove some of the oil in the skin.
    Hot smoking really works very well for brown trout where it's brackish taste actually works very well with the flavour from the smoking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Stuff with Rosemary and throw in the BBQ whole.

Advertisement