Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bin lorries clogging up the city centre

Options
  • 15-06-2011 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭

they seem to have there own road traffic laws, every morning nearly i see the bin lorries .. the red and white ones pull up anywhere they feel like,get out of the cab and walk down a few yards to load the bins onto the lorry..

then unload them and get back in cab and proceed down another 50 or 100 feet and repeat the process ! even when there are spaces to pull in to allow traffic flow they dont do it.!!!!

drives me mad, and traffic is building up behind them all the time
    do they have special dispensation from the councill or something?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

That's nothing, you should see the not so yummy mummies in their chelsea tractors blocking the road outside a school in order to minimise little Sorcha's foot movement from the school door to the towering transportation provided for her every afternoon..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

snubbleste wrote: »
    That's nothing, you should see the not so yummy mummies in their chelsea tractors blocking the road outside a school in order to minimise little Sorcha's foot movement from the school door to the towering transportation provided for her every afternoon..

god ya thats a major pet hate of mine, total disregard for anyone elses saftey

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

barone wrote: »
    they seem to have there own road traffic laws, every morning nearly i see the bin lorries .. the red and white ones pull up anywhere they feel like,get out of the cab and walk down a few yards to load the bins onto the lorry..

then unload them and get back in cab and proceed down another 50 or 100 feet and repeat the process ! even when there are spaces to pull in to allow traffic flow they dont do it.!!!!

You wanna pay higher bin charges 'cos it takes 'em longer to collect the rubbish? Even if you don't pay directly, you'd be stung indirectly 'cos the inner city businesses need to get ride of the rubbish they produce serving you and me.

Also, they need to be out of the pedestrianised streets by 10:30, so the timetable is pretty tight each morning.

JustMary wrote: »
    You wanna pay higher bin charges 'cos it takes 'em longer to collect the rubbish? Even if you don't pay directly, you'd be stung indirectly 'cos the inner city businesses need to get ride of the rubbish they produce serving you and me.

Also, they need to be out of the pedestrianised streets by 10:30, so the timetable is pretty tight each morning.

so they can park where they like? you obviously dont be stuck behind them in the mornings,whilst they stop in the middle of the road and go for a walk,ignoring the parking availible, AND holding up traffic, you think thats ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Gold Leaf Tea

Em, they don't exactly hold things up that much? I think you are exaggerating slightly perhaps? They seem to get their job done as quickly as they can from what I can see.

• Advertisement

have a look the next time you see one collecting, i see it everyday

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

have a look the next time you see one collecting, i see it everyday
    i live in the city centre and tend to agree that you are exaggerating a little. They do at least two runs due to the amount of pick-ups they have, every time i see them the lads run from the truck while its moving and hop on again quick smart as soon as they are done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

it could be a patience issue. I used to comute from Longford to Galway city and every little delay used to crack me up, a lunatic! now I have a tiny journey and the delays are ok. It depends if your under pressure in the mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

they do move fast when emptying the bins, why dont you go another route when you know what days the bins are being collected on your usual route. another thing is ,what about people parking on corners where there,s restrictions , like athenry. bin lorrys have to go early morning to collect so it makes it harder for them to do their job .

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Bins need emptying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

biko wrote: »
    Bins need emptying.
    can you imagion what it would be like if they were not empty,d..

ok let me just point out that maybe its one lorry in particular, it dosent have any passengers or guys hangin from the back..

just a driver, who does all the work,and parks the lorry in the middle of the street while he does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

One minute bin lorries are clogging up the entire city and now it's just one truck with one person on board. Probably a small operator working for himself. If it bothers you that much op leave 10 mins early or take a different route to avoid the truck.

The Galway forum seems to have turned into R&R for non issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭beeintheknow

I know how the original guys who ran Barone sanitation would have dealt with this.

Perhaps this thread is a wind up based on the op's username.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

I am sick of Citybin and Barna Waste trucks clogging up the city centre in the morning when there is ample space to move aside and allow other delivery trucks and commuters get move on.

The pedestrianised area is often in total gridlock due to bin trucks clogging the streets. I see it most days around 9.20 when I am often walking up Shop Street,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

not the best example picture to blame the bin men.

If the cars werent parked on double yellow lines with flashers on making everything they are doing ok the bin men might be finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

If the cars werent parked on double yellow lines with flashers on making everything they are doing ok the bin men might be finished.

Er, yes.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

There is a link below the image, read it and you'll see that you have completely misinterpreted the reason the image was posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Mactard wrote: »
    There is a link below the image, read it and you'll see that you have completely misinterpreted the reason the image was posted.

There's a time stamp on my post
    At 2:30 am and finishing off some work, I'm happy to just read the pictures

Noticed my error after but wasn't arsed to edit

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

We surely need more binmen to wash your car, scrub your shower and air out your stinkables.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭extraice

why not do after 6pm like do in london and all big citys , is this city hall stopping them , you see bag put out at night , wich in turn get kicked around the place , night time pick up would be right way doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭mitsuko045

extraice wrote: »
    why not do after 6pm like do in london and all big citys

I think rubbish bag stalkers prefer to work under the cover of darkness to hide their identity and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

why not do after 6pm like do in london and all big citys , is this city hall stopping them , you see bag put out at night , wich in turn get kicked around the place , night time pick up would be right way doing it

That'd be a great look for the tourists ... strolling down Shop St at 7pm for dinner (or 9pm for craic), in between the rubbish trucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

That'd be a great look for the tourists ... strolling down Shop St at 7pm for dinner (or 9pm for craic), in between the rubbish trucks.
    Most large European cities do it without the trucks having to go down every street. I was in Lisbon one night round 10pm and the street cleaners walk round collecting the bags to central points where they are quickly picked up and gone in a couple of mins. Seemed efficient and a far quieter time so as not to disturb traffic etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Why would that be such a big deal? It's not like it's the Walsh's trucks going around hosing down port-a-loos.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Dont you know traffic doenst move from 4-7pm in Galway. Additional traffic, nevermind smelly truck traffic, would be horrible. Probably cost more if they're paid by the hour too. Also, rubbish left out during the day would smell, especially on a nice sunny warm day.

IMO, get over it. Its a few minutes of your life wasted, and its not like its an irregular occurance, it happens everyday!
    I walk through eyre square, and eglington street every morning, and those lads are great. They hop on an off, grabbing any bags of rubbish as quickly as possible and back onto the truck. Only ever hold up I see is beside Eddie Rockets. Im guessing theres alot of restaurant rubbish there that keeps em busy, but theres other routes to bypass em if necessary.
    As for shop street, its open in the mornings for businesses to get their stock in, and rubbish out, public complaining about it being busy while this happens.... who cares. Use the main roads, better than being stuck behind a bin truck eh? Id rather the bin men do their job properly (as they do) than a quick job done half assed just so some people can take a short cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

biko wrote: »
    Bins need emptying.

Sounds like a job for.......

...... the garbage man!!!

(couldn't find a better quality video)

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

So what your saying is they do their jobs by collecting bins in the early morning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Think that says it all really, Galway is barely a city let alone a big one! Cant believe the OP was giving out about people going about their jobs.
    And extraice why dont you go to work after 6pm instead?

Advertisement