Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Dentist Recommendation?

Options
  • 15-06-2011 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭

Hi all, my teeth are ****ed up. Ive neglected them for so long and now its time to make things right again. Can anyone recommend a great dentist in town, or even nearby? I dont mind travelling a few miles for a really good oral service!!!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Dr liam mcgee in lawrence house in merchants road is an excellent dentist.Very centrally located and he is a really gentle man with a warm friendly attitude and he passes no comment on your dental disaster zones.Hes the only dentist I've been to that I can honestly say never hurt and his work was top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Whoever you see: if you need fillings, check to see if they're going to use white amalgam or mercury. I was very surprised to get one done here, and to have mercury put in - thought the civilised world had stopped doing that, just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

JustMary wrote: »
    Whoever you see: if you need fillings, check to see if they're going to use white amalgam or mercury. I was very surprised to get one done here, and to have mercury put in - thought the civilised world had stopped doing that, just in case.

ridiculous post. no such thing as white amalgam, and the silver fillings contain an inert alloy of mercury that has no proven risks.
    a well maintained silver amalgam filling can have a lifespan of 20 years, while the average lifespan of a tooth coloured composite filling is 7-10 years. composite fillings are more expensive and tedious.
    op, i'll pm you a recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

OP, if there's a Town Dental/Smiles Dental I recommend them. Have used one of the offices in the franchise a fair number of times due to oral hygiene negligence and they did an absolutely magnificent job, and have heard similar from people using other offices. Very cheap if you're not on medical card (though if you are, there's 2 fillings free on the card and that's about it these days in terms of restorative work...root canal on first 3 teeth if you're lucky as that's subject to review I believe)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Try Smiles Dental Clinic http://www.smiles.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=30&Itemid=6#galway
    I have a major phobia of dentists but i had to bite the bullet and go to to get my teeth sorted out, they made me feel totally at ease and they are cheaper then most other dentists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Old thread here that was locked when the dentists start to spam it :D
    We'll see how this one pans out. One post wonders will be removed as shillers.

Dental forum here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

Try Smiles Dental Clinic http://www.smiles.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=30&Itemid=6#galway
    I have a major phobia of dentists but i had to bite the bullet and go to to get my teeth sorted out, they made me feel totally at ease and they are cheaper then most other dentists.

Dont. You sit there scared with your open mounth waiting for torture in front of all the people in waiting room. :pac: (they have 4 chairs in open area -which is on the way to toilet). Also one of the doc. there was going to take out my wisdom tooth while it was swollen all around -I had to tell him he should give me antibiotic first!

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

Thanks everyone, appreciate the info. Special shout to ballsymchugh. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

I use the Oranmore Dental Surgery. I find Lorna very good and gentle :)
    Valerie

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭parrai

James McGovern opposite the Abbey church in Francis Street is a good dentist and i found him to be reasonable too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ENMcD

Definately Liam Mc Gee on merchants road, im petrified of needles but he was great and so nice. There was a female dentist there too but she is gone travelling not sure when she's back i think it was dr nora hopkins (i think) she sorted my teeth big time with my wisdoms, was on a waiting list but she managed to get me onto the national treatment fund and got seen to within few months but dont think that fund is there anymore :( but anyways def liam mc gee if dr hopkins isnt there :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

I'd appreciate a recommendation as well - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 47 spiraleye

i have a major issue with dentists since i was a child ...long story. it was about 16 years before i went to one - i went to Liam Mc Gee 2 weeks ago, told him about my issue with dentists, and i must say he was very very good, didnt pass judgement , made sure i was ok and put me at ease. and worked on my teeth. i have to get further work done 4 / 5 fillings and a tooth to be pulled out but i will be returning to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

Just a quick add-on...got a list of dentists that carry out med card work in the Galway area. Sorry for being a lazy bastard, not typing it out!!

2cf5tvq.jpg

2vllk02.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

ValerieR wrote: »
    I use the Oranmore Dental Surgery. I find Lorna very good and gentle :)
    Valerie
    gillian is good to, she does medical cards.she is our neighbour never knew where she worked untill hubbie broke his tooth in the front so he just foned the nearest dentist to us, he has now false tooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ridiculous post. no such thing as white amalgam, and the silver fillings contain an inert alloy of mercury that has no proven risks.
    a well maintained silver amalgam filling can have a lifespan of 20 years, while the average lifespan of a tooth coloured composite filling is 7-10 years. composite fillings are more expensive and tedious.

Well my dentist stopped using mercury some time ago, just in case. IMHO people should be given the choice - which I was until I came to this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Long shot I know, but ouch! Anyone know of a dentist open on a Sunday?
    Probably cost a packet...

If not, any recommendations for one I'd get seen Mon am? Shattered a tooth and it's not fun :(

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Smiles used to be open seven days a week.
    Just checked their website and they don't appear to be now.

Be worth a shot for an early Monday morning appointment though.

http://www.smiles.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=30&Itemid=6#galway

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Guy on Forster St does it. Call out fee charged.

http://www.toothtime.info/id4.html

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

Dr O reilley on Sea Road adjacent corner to The Crane Pub has seen me on a Sunday before.
    Think they have signs on wondow saying they open for emergencies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Did you have any luck O.P?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Did you have any luck O.P?

thanks for asking :) thankfully The pain went down. I'll need an extraction I'm fairly sure, and probably a bit of gum surgery. I'm going to Electric Picnic, so I'm opting for panadol as opposed to a bloody gob for the weekend, and will face the inevitable!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Any suggestions for a cheap dentist. One of my teeth fell apart!....fell apart 2 months ago. Anyway I now have the time to get it sorted out. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,913 ✭✭✭✭Basq

You want the work done right, or you want it done cheap! ;)

If it fell apart and can't be filled and you want it done cheap - if it's a tooth you can live without, get it extracted.

If not, odds are it'll need a crown... not cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Basq wrote: »
    You want the work done right, or you want it done cheap! ;)

If it fell apart and can't be filled and you want it done cheap - if it's a tooth you can live without, get it extracted.

If not, odds are it'll need a crown... not cheap!

she's at the back. Either want a filling, extraction and a clean. A Happy Ending would be nice too...but not mandatory!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Surfacezebra

smiles on middle street:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Jason is Devon Park isn't cheap but he is the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

McGovern on Francis street seems reasonable (good with kids too) just throw five euros in the parking meter as he tends to run late with appointments.

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭baldshin

Was going to post in the Dental forums but it seems no one ever replies to requests for dentists in there.

Basically I'm looking for a non judgemental dentist in Galway, who is good with someone with a massive fear of dentists. I reckon I need a good bit of work done, and am only being spurred on by the massive filling that just fell out!

I used to attend a dentist who would let me have my earphones in with music on the whole time to distract me from the sounds I'm so terrified of!

Can anyone recommend a dentist who would be ok with this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭NuckyT

I went to smiles dental in Middle street a few weeks back for a big filling in my front tooth and found them great.

The dentist I got made sure I was okay with drilling etc before he started his work.

I assume they'd have no problem with earphones, they had a small telly showing sky news literally 3 feet from my face when I had mine done.

http://www.smiles.ie/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement