Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nowhere suitable to rent! :(

Options
  • 15-06-2011 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

I guess this is a rant more anything. Split with my bf whom I was renting with, but we stayed living together. Awkward I know, so I've been scouring Daft for a nice room somewhere for about 2 months now. Something cropped up yesterday so I contacted the advertiser to arrange a viewing - she replied that there was a change and it wasn't available anymore. I'm gutted. Okay, I hadn't even seen the room or house in person, and I'm wary about moving in with new people, but I'm feeling stressed that there is NOWHERE for me to go.

I am being picky - I want a spacious double room and preferably on the Dublin side of Drogheda, but I'm beginning to think I'll have to consider other options. I've seen lovely apartments available for 650 but I couldn't possibly afford that on my own. I'm paying 400 p/m at the moment + bills and that's reallly tops.

Thought there'd be lots of choice but there isn't! :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

I'm afraid the quality of rental property for 1 person all around the country is appalling. And expensive. It is very, very depressing, especially after the world's biggest building boom for crying out loud!!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭AnnaGram85

I've never had to look for JUST ME before and I'm just freaking out a bit now. Have always lived with people I've ended up being quite friendly with too so hoping that wherever I go I'll have that. Just looking for a decent double room for max €360. I'm not in Dublin so you'd imagine it wouldn't be THAT difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I know how you feel. I think one of the worst parts is you have to give notice before you move out, which makes it difficult to find a place to move in 4 weeks time as most places are available to move in immediately.

I gave my months notice about 3 weeks ago and i have been looking for the past 3 weeks but there wasn't alot of places available to move in for next week.

I honestly started to feel sick about it on monday. Saw a few places but they were proper dives, I wouldn't even put a dog in them.

Saw a lovely place for €70 a week. I was seriously going to take it. Even though im newly on the dole and able to budget on €150 a week including rent. The place didn't accept rent allowance and if it's something im entitled to, i was better off choosing a place that accepted rent allowance.

Finally found a place yesterday and i hope it works out. Moving in on saturday. It really is stressful looking for a place and giving me two days to sort out stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Mr. 2

You can rent apartments in Drogheda for 400pm but maybe not in areas you're interested in. If I were you I would be looking at apartments asking around 500pm and offering 400pm. Everythings negotiable now and you never know you might get lucky. I rented a house earlier this year and got the rent down from 850 to 700 because the landlord was desperate to get somebody in.

Whatever you decide to go with, don't offer the asking price.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

http://www.daft.ie/3626463
    South of Drogheda. €300 a month. You must like cats :pac: Train station nearby.

=-=

http://www.daft.ie/3634675
    South Drogheda €325 a month (all bills included, wtf?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭AnnaGram85

I dont want to live with 4 other people [5 in a house is far too many!]

Oh and the cats one - I don't really want to live with the owner. I feel I wouldn't be on equal footing.

Thakns for the replies guys. I'll keep looking. I have 2 months before I HAVE to leave, but as you can imagine, my living situation isn't very appealing at the moment so I'd like to get out asap

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Have you actually advertised your desires rather than just responding to others?
    Take out an ad in a newspaper or something.

Advertisement