Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bias against us, what do we do?

Options
  • 15-06-2011 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am going to be looking for a two bedroom apartment to rent in Dublin from september for a nine month lease. I am worried we are going to have problems, the first reason is that there are three of us, I will be sharing a double bed with my boyfriend. The next reason is that we want a nine month lease. The last reason is that we are students.

I have a really good reference from my previous landlord, the other two people are going into first year so they have never lived away from home. I will be going into second year. They have work references though. And we can provide bank statements. What I am asking is how do we show we will be really good tenants? We are quiet and not like 'typical' students, all quite introverted and neat and not party or alcohol mad. But no landlord will believe us, we just need a chance! Is there anything I can say or do?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

walk in in some geeky outfit or with some video game t shirt.... job done...

seriuosly: you just have to try it and hope for best. I dont think that all landlors are afraid of students like wild fire... or am i wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭TommyTippee

If the landlord doesn't want you, leave them to fcuk

They're not doing you a favour by letting their apartment to you, remember that.

Someone out there will be very grateful for your money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

OP, I'd recommend advertising yourself on daft.ie in the tenant database. That way you can be up front about the fact that there are 3 of you and that you want a 9 month lease. You might be surprised with the number of responses you get.

Myself and my partner did it and we had loads of responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Curlyhatescurls

Chinafoot wrote: »
    OP, I'd recommend advertising yourself on daft.ie in the tenant database. That way you can be up front about the fact that there are 3 of you and that you want a 9 month lease. You might be surprised with the number of responses you get.

Myself and my partner did it and we had loads of responses.

Oh thank you, I didn't realise it worked the other way round too on daft!!! Because I am looking so far in advance it might also help as no one wants to talk to me now as they say it is too early, will try this!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

In fairness you are looking a bit early and not many LL want a 9 month lease. Some will charge more for this. Students do have a tendency to be "hard" on property too.

Not uncommon for students to take a place on a year lease and then move out early. They can also fall out easily and suddenly one tenant moves out and the others won't pay the full rent for the property.

Moving in with a boyfriend at this point would be ringing warning bells too. You really are not very appealing to LL. It may be bias in your eyes but any LL with experience will be wary due to the reasons above. Extra deposit and parents' numbers really would help. Might not seem fair but it is a reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I dont think that all landlors are afraid of students like wild fire... or am i wrong?
    Afraid of students, no. Afraid of 1st year students wrecking the place, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Curlyhatescurls

The extra deposit is a good idea, I don't really mind even giving them a double deposit if it means they would rent to us as I am 100% certain we would get it back. I want to be treated with respect and like an adult just as I and the two other flatmates will treat the place with respect and like adults. I get so frustrated with getting painted with the same 'oh you're a student, you're going to wreck the place' brush. I understand a landlord being wary, but last year I was given a chance and proved myself to be an ideal tenant, my reference shows this. In the end, it's good money we will be paying so I guess we will just have to keep looking if they won't treat us like adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

The extra deposit is a good idea, I don't really mind even giving them a double deposit if it means they would rent to us as I am 100% certain we would get it back.

You do know it can be difficult to get deposits back from landlords and you are offering double ?

I don't often agree with ray palmer, but your situation does sound alarm bells to me and I am not a landlord.

Nevermind that you are students and first year/second year undergrads there are other worrying things.
    There are three of you, a pretty young couple and a friend.

Ask anyone here but sharing with couples can be difficult and very often often doesn't work out.
    To me that is ringing alarm bells right now.
    Added to that this sounds like the first time you and your boyfriend will be doing the whole living together thing ?
    And you will be doing it with some other guy/gal in tow.

I can see issues, I hope for all your sakes I am not wrong but you do have a fair chunk of the ingredients for problems.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 78,397 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Be wary of your prospective co-tenants, newly released from captivity, they can change their spots quite quickly.
    We are quiet and not like 'typical' students, all quite introverted and neat and not party or alcohol mad.
    Yet! :pac:
    But no landlord will believe us, we just need a chance! Is there anything I can say or do?
    Then don't come across as students, perhaps wear a shirt and shoes, not a t-shirt and runners. What other way can you demonstrate you aren't 'typical' students?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

Live with your bf only and problem solved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Agree with the being/ looking presentable when you view. Also, how much do you/ the other two work? Ie could you present yourself to the Landlord as "working at X for 2 years now, and also going to college" rather than "students and working a few hours to pay bills"? Where are you looking for flats- maybe you could say "this would suit because it is close to work", and hopefully avoid further questions as to what you do?

The 9 months this will be an issue, but if you target flats which have been empty for a while, the landlords may prefer 9 months to waiting for another tenant for longer. You won't have much negotiating room to lower the rend though.

Advertisement