Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pup bit BF mother

• 15-06-2011 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi,

My BF mam minds our 13 week old pup (red setter) during the day. Well today she was on a garden chair and fell off, BF mam said she was yelping so she went over to her & picked her up, the pup bite into her wrist.

My question is usually when dogs bite they are put down, what do you think, could it be cause she was hurt?

Also the pup yelps everytime we pick her up, seems to be around shoulder area thats sore, we had been going to vet on Saturday morning anyway, do you think we can leave her until then?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

The pup bit because she was in pain and I doubt the bite would be anything substantial. Has she had cause for an injury? Could she have been hit by a car? Are there any lumps to the touch or any other symptom in the area? It might have been she fell off and hit an already-ouchies point on her. The drop from the chair can't be that far for a pup of that age, so if she's not better or acting worse tomorrow I'd recommend taking her to the vet, but I doubt it's anything serious. You could feel if a bone was broken easily enough yourself. Incidentally, were you going to the vets for shots or for the fall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

First go to vet now if you had hurt your shoulder would you wait.
    Second the pup bit because he was scared and hurt not because he's vicious so no way put down. Did you seriously consider it if so should you own the pup at all?
    The poor baba I hope he"s ok and of course your mum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

I'm sure she just reacted because she's in pain and i wouldn't worry about the biting. I would get her to the vets asap though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

well if she was yelping then she must have been hurt. then your BF mam picked her up and probably hurt her more so she bit. Did she do any damage?

take her to your vet, best not wait until Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

kmmh58 wrote: »
    Hi,

My BF mam minds our 13 week old pup (red setter) during the day. Well today she was on a garden chair and fell off, BF mam said she was yelping so she went over to her & picked her up, the pup bite into her wrist.

My question is usually when dogs bite they are put down, what do you think, could it be cause she was hurt?

Also the pup yelps everytime we pick her up, seems to be around shoulder area thats sore, we had been going to vet on Saturday morning anyway, do you think we can leave her until then?

Thanks

Firstlly, dogs are not usually put down because they bite, who told you this?? Dogs usually only lash out for a reason, and that reason is usually down to pain.
    Also, the dog is a baby, 13 weeks old, so it doesnt know how to be aggressive or vicous...
    If the dog is in pain, the only way they can let you know is by telling you and giving your bf mam a nip, i hardly think it was much of a bite at 13 weeks, they would still only have their baby teeth too and all puppies nip.

Please get this poor pup to a vet asap as the poor thing is obviously injured badly and is in serious pain if its yelping all the time. Do not wait til Saturday, its far too long to have an animal in pain:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭kmmh58

Thank you all for your comments.

I was not even thinking of putting her down, but someone mentioned it earlier in conversation and I couldn't get the thought out of my head at all. So thank you for putting my mind at ease.

I was thinking the pain caused her to bite so we are all on the same wave length :)

She is not yelping all the time or limping all the time only occasionally. We are bringing her to the vet 1st thing tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I was not even thinking of putting her down, but someone mentioned it earlier in conversation and I couldn't get the thought out of my head at all. So thank you for putting my mind at ease.

I was thinking the pain caused her to bite so we are all on the same wave length :)

She is not yelping all the time or limping all the time only occasionally. We are bringing her to the vet 1st thing tomorrow.

You said it yelps everytime you pick it up, so obviously everytime you touch the area where its sore, so please ensure your pup sees the vet first thing in the morning.

andreac wrote: »
    You said it yelps everytime you pick it up, so obviously everytime you touch the area where its sore, so please ensure your pup sees the vet first thing in the morning.

If pressure is put on her shoulder yes she yelps. When she walks only sometimes there is a limp.
    I will ring 1st thing in the morning.
    Thanks.

Update: We brought her to the vet, she was given painkillers and we have to go back tomorrow, the vet intends to find her shoulder in much better condition & we may not need to do xrays.

This is all well and good, but the pup gets energetic every so often and each time she hurts her shoulder, usually I am trying to stop her messing when she hurts herself, like bashing into chairs and walls, so I think x-ray will have to be done at the least :( the poor thing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

Well it is a red setter and even a homeless guy on the beach in Dover, knew they are crazy. Ours is 6 now and she can still be a right little nutcase. But now only when we mention W A L K.

Red setters have a low threshold for pain, they don't really stand for having there hair pulled (by kids) or rough play with other dogs. When you are hurting any dog passed the point where they can no longer stand the pain they will let you know and they don't have a lot of way of communicating effectively. Ours will use her teeth to grab your hand, she has never broken skin.

If your dog is in pain it will bite to tell you she/he is hurting and want you to stop whatever it is you are doing.

• Advertisement

650Ginge wrote: »
    Well it is a red setter and even a homeless guy on the beach in Dover, knew they are crazy. Ours is 6 now and she can still be a right little nutcase. But now only when we mention W A L K.

Red setters have a low threshold for pain, they don't really stand for having there hair pulled (by kids) or rough play with other dogs. When you are hurting any dog passed the point where they can no longer stand the pain they will let you know and they don't have a lot of way of communicating effectively. Ours will use her teeth to grab your hand, she has never broken skin.

If your dog is in pain it will bite to tell you she/he is hurting and want you to stop whatever it is you are doing.

Yep she gives a yelp and a bite, I hope there is no long term damage to the dog, the vet thinks she may have soft tissue damage in her shoulder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

This is all well and good, but the pup gets energetic every so often and each time she hurts her shoulder, usually I am trying to stop her messing when she hurts herself, like bashing into chairs and walls, so I think x-ray will have to be done at the least :( the poor thing :(

If you're having problems keeping her calm you might be best to crate her so she doesn,t do more damage. If she's anything like the setter we know it's probably the best option! :pac:

tk123 wrote: »
    If you're having problems keeping her calm you might be best to crate her so she doesn,t do more damage. If she's anything like the setter we know it's probably the best option! :pac:

Thanks, I never even thought of that :) I will look into getting her a crate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

Hi,

My question is usually when dogs bite they are put down,

Thanks

FFS !!!!!!

falabo wrote: »
    FFS !!!!!!

The op had already said she had no intention of putting the puppy down but as someone mentioned it she wanted the situation regarding biting clarifying.

piperh wrote: »
    The op had already said she had no intention of putting the puppy down but as someone mentioned it she wanted the situation regarding biting clarifying.

Thanks Piperh, yes I had no intention on putting the poor girl down, just needed clarification :D

Update: BF just brought pup back to vet as scheduled today, she is much improved and vet is happy with her progress. We have to go back once more on Saturday to ensure all is healed properly. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Wish my dog would bite my mother in law ! :D

kilburn wrote: »

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

kilburn wrote: »

hahahaha every time I saw the title i thought exactly the same thing:D:D I was trying not to say though.but now you've made me:p

Advertisement