Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any advice moving to Tralee?

Options
  • 15-06-2011 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hello all...must be totally mad in the middle of a horrible recession but we are hoping to move our family to Tralee from Dublin. I grew up there but have lived in the city for many years. I wonder has anybody any advice for us. We were hoping to rent a while to find out feet and I have always loved the Fenit/Spa area or the road out from Blennerville to Derrymore and beyond. I really want to live near the sea. Anyway my questions are
    • does anybody know a good school for a little boy senior infants:
    • anybody know good creche/montessori for little boy aged 3
    • anybody know how to find a really lovely childminder in Tralee
    • any tips on how we could manage the transition!!!!
    all thoughts and comments are so welcome

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

goodies wrote: »
    Hello all...must be totally mad in the middle of a horrible recession but we are hoping to move our family to Tralee from Dublin. I grew up there but have lived in the city for many years. I wonder has anybody any advice for us. We were hoping to rent a while to find out feet and I have always loved the Fenit/Spa area or the road out from Blennerville to Derrymore and beyond. I really want to live near the sea. Anyway my questions are
    • does anybody know a good school for a little boy senior infants:
    • anybody know good creche/montessori for little boy aged 3
    • anybody know how to find a really lovely childminder in Tralee
    • any tips on how we could manage the transition!!!!
    all thoughts and comments are so welcome

best of luck with your move to Tralee, I hope you are all really happy here :) I'm sure you'll manage the transition well! Just think about how you can be at a fab beach in less than 15 minutes....not easy to find a lovely sandy beach in Dublin unless you drive miles out of the city to the likes of Bray?

I'm living in and from Tralee, and was living in Dublin for 4 years, so coming back was a change, but I prefer it down here, although there are things in Dublin that I miss, but you can be in Dublin so quickly these days so its great!
    I've no kids (yet) so not sure about what schools to recommend. The main primary schools are Moyderwell which is in the town and is mixed, Scoil Mhic Easmainn which is an all Irish school and also mixed (which I myself went to many moons ago!), there's Holy Family which I think is boys, but I might be wrong as I've a feeling its mixed now (anyone know?). Presentation Primary school, which again not sure if its now mixed as it was a girls primary years ago, and Balloonagh...mixed I think! All are good schools, but I'm sure other board members here who may have kids can advise better!

There's a good creche in Oakview Village, but lots of them around too, so probably a good idea to visit them to see for yourself. As for childminders, no idea...have to face that myself at some point! :)
    Hope you settle in well and get everything sorted. I'm sure you will all love it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭goodies

thank you so much for your happy response! Just what I needed to hear tonight there is so much fear and paralysis around at the moment one would be afraid to do anything...wish you the very best

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

goodies wrote: »
    (...) [*]anybody know good creche/montessori for little boy aged 3 (...)

Welcome back!
    If you are looking for a montessori preschool close to the Fenit- or Blennerville-side of Tralee I would pay Maria at Benin Casa a visit. The place is great, especially if nature is important for you.
    Good luck for your return, but the recession here is no worse than in Dublin I guess :)

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    there's Holy Family which I think is boys, but I might be wrong as I've a feeling its mixed now (anyone know?)

Yep it's mixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

dapto1 wrote: »
    Yep it's mixed.

wow - my alma mater is now mixed??? Next you'll be telling me the Green is taking wimmin!!:eek::eek::eek: :D:D:D

PS OP - I don't think you will regret moving to Tralee. It's a great place. If I could get a decent job there, I'd be back in a jiffy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

ongarboy wrote: »
    wow - my alma mater is now mixed??? Next you'll be telling me the Green is taking wimmin!!:eek::eek::eek: :D:D:D

PS OP - I don't think you will regret moving to Tralee. It's a great place. If I could get a decent job there, I'd be back in a jiffy.

CBS is mixed now also. Couldn't beileve it when I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

xxyyzz wrote: »
    CBS is mixed now also. Couldn't beileve it when I heard.

I couldn't believe when I first heard that schools in Ireland haven't always been mixed. Unthinkable in Germany and I still don't get the idea behind it. Must have been awfully boring for both sides :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Quaderno wrote: »
    I couldn't believe when I first heard that schools in Ireland haven't always been mixed. Unthinkable in Germany and I still don't get the idea behind it. Must have been awfully boring for both sides :D

Looking back now, it does seem a bit pointless. Probably the religious influence on schools at the time had something to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 MissyB71

Probably the religious influence on schools at the time had something to do with it.

The catholic religious had everything to do with it! But surely it was just secondary schools!

Anyway to the OP! I moved to Tralee 10 years ago with a 10 year old and a 1 year old. Love it here! It's a great time to move when your kids are so young. That way they can't hassle you about it if they have a bad day or when they are teenagers! Lol.

Advertisement