Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exam correcting

• 15-06-2011 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering what is the rate of pay for correcting JC OL Irish papers?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Honestly cannot remember rate but with the massive reductions in pay last year the figure received for doing 320 papers after tax was €1080.. First two hundred recorrected two or three times in part and no additional payment. Was the only year I thought of giving up, possibly in part as had small baby and morning sickness with number two but money was woeful last year. Used to be amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

I'm not teaching too many years and was looking for the experience more than anything to see how it all works.

I've been warned my July is gone and the money is rubbish.

Oh well

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

johnos1984 wrote: »
    I'm not teaching too many years and was looking for the experience more than anything to see how it all works.

I've been warned my July is gone and the money is rubbish.

Oh well
    That's true, but it's still worth doing once.

Ah I'd agree with that though, worth doing once or twice but probably no more! With kids it's impossible, last year was hell for me!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Ah I'd agree with that though, worth doing once or twice but probably no more! With kids it's impossible, last year was hell for me!!!

Phew, thought I was the only one! Feel like a wuss for not doing it this year, but have a one year old running around.

You not doing it this year GG?

• Advertisement

Not a hope, I'd get five minutes to correct and one of them would need me! You need long stints of uninterrupted silence, I won't have that again until 2028 when they start college!!!
    I've a good arrangement with a neighbour, her two are coming to me for an hour each one day a week, she takes my two and keeps them an extra two hours so after the two hours of lessons I get two hours for a walk or cuppa with a friend or whatever. I'm kind of on my own here and opened up to her one day, she came up with that as a win-win and I'm delighted. Granted mine are asleep for most of it but she puts them in the double buggie and heads off, gets in her walks and tires out mine. And my God those two hours afterwards are precious...

Sounds like a good arrangement! A girl I know does LC HL English with two kids under five....no idea how she does it. Think it could be 2028 by the time I get back to them myself!

OP, the experience is invaluable, best CPD ever. The money, however, is getting worse. JC OL isn't going to be more than €5 a paper before tax.

Does she do that with the children in the house? I would find it hard to justify a childminder just so I could do them you see, it wouldn't ever cover the costs and I'd rather spend time with them. Maybe I've the wrong attitude but I didn't have them not to spend time with them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

deemark wrote: »
    Sounds like a good arrangement! A girl I know does LC HL English with two kids under five....no idea how she does it. Think it could be 2028 by the time I get back to them myself!

OP, the experience is invaluable, best CPD ever. The money, however, is getting worse. JC OL isn't going to be more than €5 a paper before tax.

Particularly with the pension levy taken out of it. Remember the thread here last year about people owing money to the SEC after corrections because they got less than the advance?

I've signed up for another year for my sins, but I only have two dogs to look after so it's not quite the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 iuil19

I've marked for the past 7 years, my kids are 9, 6 and 3 (I did take off the year I was 9 months pregnant in July!).

My husband usually takes the first week of July off and my mother and MIL do a week each :)

• Advertisement

iuil19 wrote: »
    I've marked for the past 7 years, my kids are 9, 6 and 3 (I did take off the year I was 9 months pregnant in July!).

My husband usually takes the first week of July off and my mother and MIL do a week each :)

Fair play to ya! Even with my childminder offering to keep him for the duration, I couldn't do it. Even babyless, I was often up until 3/4 in the morning, wouldn't be fair on the wee man. Mind you, I have no self-motivation, it's all deadline, deadline, deadline with me:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Fickidy

Particularly with the pension levy taken out of it. Remember the thread here last year about people owing money to the SEC after corrections because they got less than the advance?

I've signed up for another year for my sins, but I only have two dogs to look after so it's not quite the same.

What do you mean people owed money?? Oh god, I'm beginning to seriously regret this... How much can I expect to come out with? Junior Cert French...

Fickidy wrote: »
    What do you mean people owed money?? Oh god, I'm beginning to seriously regret this... How much can I expect to come out with? Junior Cert French...

After your first year, you're paid an advance from €500 up. Someone last year actually earned (after tax) less than the amount of the advance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Fickidy

This is my first year doing the corrections... So I won't get an advance? How much am I likely to get altogether? I thought it'd be over €1000, but if not, I don't know why I'm doing it. Good for the experience and all that, but the whole month of July is gone

Fickidy wrote: »
    This is my first year doing the corrections... So I won't get an advance? How much am I likely to get altogether? I thought it'd be over €1000, but if not, I don't know why I'm doing it. Good for the experience and all that, but the whole month of July is gone

Oh God, don't quote me! It's a long time since I first did them and the oul' memory isn't the best:) However, I do remember I did get an advance and it increased in the second year. Someone here will know more than me, don't panic! Anyone? Anyone?:o

Ya the first year I started (10 years ago) the advance was around €400. Now it's €1200. So I'm guessing that some people got €1200 last year as they have been doing it for a good few years but marking a paper at JC level which doesn't pay an awful lot, and when tax and pension levy was taken out, the total which they were owed was less than €1200. Not by much but heart breaking when you get paid the balance and find there's nothing owed to you and probably worse if you have to give some of that money back.

Nothing wrong with your memory at all Deemark, that was me last year ranting on here. I used make €1800 if not more after tax for LC,last year I did the OL JC papers. I was given an advance of €1200 and then asked for almost €200 back in Sept, just slightly under. For 23 days of hell as we recorrected again and again for the first 200. That said, used to be great money, those were the days. As for up and about...just woke there with baby no.1, nights like tonight I know I made the right decision!

Oh and the advance is €500 the first year and €1200 every year after...

You can apply for a refund of the pension levy if you think you overpaid last year. I don't teach full-time so I'll be putting in for a refund for both last year and this year now that I got my Statement of Earning for 2010 from the SEC in the last couple of weeks :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23 miralheti

I read here that marking state exams takes up all of July and I know that there are meetings earlier in the year and some training. I am wondering about this for next year. Can you tell me when you actually get the papers? Will I be able to go away in June?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Boober Fraggle

You have a conference of either one or two days at the end of June/early July (depending on the subject). Then you correct for the 26 days following this conference. Most people would be finished quicker than this, the last few days tend to be paperwork days.

You would definitely get away in June, but you don't get a letter with the dates of the conference until May, so you'd be aswell to go away early in June.

miralheti wrote: »
    I read here that marking state exams takes up all of July and I know that there are meetings earlier in the year and some training. I am wondering about this for next year. Can you tell me when you actually get the papers? Will I be able to go away in June?

It depends on your subject. If you are correcting one of the subjects that is on at the start of the exams you will probably have your conference between mid-end June, if your subject is near the end it will be the first week of July. You should be ok to go on holidays the first two weeks of June or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 miralheti

Thanks Boober,

How many would you be likely to get the first year?

Thanks Boober,

How many would you be likely to get the first year?

Being a newbie doesn't affect the number of papers you'll get. Normally it's around 400.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Boober Fraggle

Depends on the subject how many you get. For longer papers, or exams with 2 components you will only get around 300.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

Hi,

I was just wondering how or where would you apply to correct exam papers? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The forms are on the SEC site and in schools round about Hallowe'en.

My exam was today and the conference is the first week in July. I was teaching up to June 3rd and supervising the JC since so it's definitely possible to take a couple of weeks at the beginning of June. I tend to wait til August or the October break to go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

spurious wrote: »
    The forms are on the SEC site and in schools round about Hallowe'en.

Thanks Spurious:)

• Advertisement

Those of you asking about how many papers, how much and when the conferences are - you need to remember the huge amount of exams run by the SEC of all types and levels. Most posters are only able to answer about their own particular subject, so if it's any help - LC HL English: 240ish scripts (a few less in your first year) and over 250 for LC OL. Obviously, the lower the level and the shorter the paper, the more of them you will get and the lower the rate of pay.

A good rule for the timing of the conferences is between one and two weeks after the actual exam itself. Add on three and a half weeks to that (four to be safe).

As for rates of pay, the SEC give out a sheet at the conference detailing the rates, but I'd imagine if you got through to someone in the SEC, they'd tell you.

deemark wrote: »
    Those of you asking about how many papers, how much and when the conferences are - you need to remember the huge amount of exams run by the SEC of all types and levels. Most posters are only able to answer about their own particular subject, so if it's any help - LC HL English: 240ish scripts (a few less in your first year) and over 250 for LC OL. Obviously, the lower the level and the shorter the paper, the more of them you will get and the lower the rate of pay.

A good rule for the timing of the conferences is between one and two weeks after the actual exam itself. Add on three and a half weeks to that (four to be safe).

As for rates of pay, the SEC give out a sheet at the conference detailing the rates, but I'd imagine if you got through to someone in the SEC, they'd tell you.

Is the LC English both papers or just one paper deemark?

Is the LC English both papers or just one paper deemark?

The two papers would count as one script, should've specified that!

Advertisement