Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Educational Grant for M.A.

Options
  • 15-06-2011 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi,

I already have a B.A. for which I received a grant. A couple of years later I did a postgrad at a private college, for which I paid for myself. Is there any way I can get a grant for an M.A. course as I've been told by a friend that grants are only available for progression to a higher course. This would be the case had I not done the PGrad. Any advice?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Google: student finance.ie

Moved from Graduates to Postgraduates

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Inmyownworld

I had been searching for info on this but couldn't find any. Doing a masters is so expensive and when you add in accommodation and living expenses its just crazy.
    Even a little grant would be so helpful!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

My understanding is if you do a L8 course and get granted you can also be granted for L9 (ie post grad). That being said it's based on your earnings (or that of your parents if required). Call your local authority office and ask!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

Is it common to reassess applicants when applying for a masters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭daffodil14

I would presume they reassess the situation but then for myself I know it just continues on to next year once I fill out the renewal form.

They will of course look at wages and any income taken in by both applicant and parents etc cause they may have changed and also they will want to clamp down on what they give out in grants.

I know this because I worked last summer and I have been told I may loose out on half of what my grant has been for the past year even though a postgraduate course is more expensive and so on.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

yes you can get grants for masters - goto www.studentfinance.ie

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement