Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lunar eclipse tonight

Options
  • 15-06-2011 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

Remember the Lunar Eclipse tonight. Moon rise around 9.50pm with full eclipse at 10pm. Will be low on the Eastern horizon at this stage so we will probably get to see the later half of the eclipse. streamed live here
    hopefully the weather will clear. Sky is patchy here in Donegal at the moment, might only get a partial view.

Comments

muckish wrote: »
    Remember the Lunar Eclipse tonight. Moon rise around 9.50pm with full eclipse at 10pm. Will be low on the Eastern horizon at this stage so we will probably get to see the later half of the eclipse. streamed live here
    hopefully the weather will clear. Sky is patchy here in Donegal at the moment, might only get a partial view.

Cheers for the link Muckish :)
    very cloudy in my part of Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

If you do go out for a look, make sure you look southeast -- the Moon at this time of year will follow the path of the December sun through the night sky.

Skies appear to be clearer in the west-central counties than most other places. Good luck.

heres another link, can switch between countries.

http://eclipse.slooh.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Anyone got the ISS times handy for tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

THe link is good , but doesnt feel the same as to if we were actually looking at it outside.

Too cloudy here in dublin... glad i didnt get my hopes up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Looking forlornly to south east but no sign of the moon. It's annoying considering there is a clear sky for it.

Likewise in Castlebar,clear and no moon yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

Totally clear night here in Slovakia, can see it brilliantly :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Totally clear in Sligo, no moon. According to the paper the moon does not rise untill 22.34.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Used Google Sky Map on the phone there, looks to be still around the horizon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

The moon is clearly visable in Waterford, beautiful sight :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

patchy cloud cover over Galway
    but clear skies to the SE - no moon though, yet .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

A beautiful pale gold silver of moon has just made an appearance in Galway :)

Moon and eclipse well visible over Kilkenny/Carlow. Lovely sight!

The lovely sight has appeared in Castlebar now low in the SE sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

too cloudy around tipp to see anything , where i am anyway !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The moon has appeared. Unforunately the totality phase looks to be over, still an impressive site!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Donegal Town 22.42. Looks amazing

5c81156d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Now for the space station flyby at 23:43 starting in SW travelling to E. Visible for 5mins 42secs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

seen it outside tralee,not good enough to with camera to post and too far up the road to bring telescope!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Damn, thought we had cloud cover but realised just now walking the dog that if I'd gone down to the end of the road I would have had perfect visibility. I just didn't realise how low down in the sky it was. :(

How will I recognise the space station in the sky? Will it be travelling at obvious speed and will it look like a star?

You wont miss the space station,as you say just like a big star,it will catch your eye straight away.Coming from SW direction heading East.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭The Mary Clarke

p10400971.jpg
    Mountcharles, Co. Donegal 22:27

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Galway city at 22.45

5837565154_a743ffd9a8_z.jpg

Needed Google sky map to find it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Nice photo's, never looked out for the eclipse, didn't think the moon would be out that early, although we had heavy rain around an hour ago so probably wouldn't have seen it.
    Nice big moon out now though. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

Pangea wrote: »
    Nice photo's, never looked out for the eclipse, didn't think the moon would be out that early, although we had heavy rain around an hour ago so probably wouldn't have seen it.
    Nice big moon out now though. :o

Just back from a walk, missed the whole affair just the big bad bright moon staring down at me now, nice clear sky, mild night...and just for a second all is good in the world...obviously i then catch up on the latest headlines on google news when I come back and the 'good to be alive' moment fkuced right off:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Just back from a walk, missed the whole affair just the big bad bright moon staring down at me now, nice clear sky, mild night...and just for a second all is good in the world...obviously i then catch up on the latest headlines on google news when I come back and the 'good to be alive' moment fkuced right off:)

Don't worry, don't we always hear "there wont be another eclipse like this for 6000 years" every year!! :pac::pac:
    Well we live in hope. We will be better prepared next time around :)

ISS just gone over (Castlebar)

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

Pangea wrote: »
    Don't worry, don't we always hear "there wont be another eclipse like this for 6000 years" every year!! :pac::pac:
    Well we live in hope. We will be better prepared next time around :)

Just making a cuppa and gonna head out the back to do me some ISS spotting, even though I haven't a clue what it is:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

I saw the ISS travel across the sky. Strangely moving (in the emotional sense rather than the Oh God something is wrong with it sense). Will it be visible again tomorrow night?

Advertisement