Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potty Training Problems

Options
  • 15-06-2011 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭

Folks, looking for a bit of advice here.

I have a 3 year old girl who we are in the middle of potty training.
    The number ones were going ok for a while, but for some reason today she decided she didn't want to use the toilet at all, and wet herself 3 times.

We're also having problems with number 2s. She keeps doing them in her pants. Trouble is, if you ask here where she is to do her poo's she'll tell you that they're done in the toilet. We've even got a special box with special sweets in it for her for when she does a poo on the toilet. She's done them in the toilet before.

She knows where they're supposed to be done, and she knows to come and tell me or her mum when she needs to do her business, but she doesn't. Its almost as if she couldn't be bothered to use the toilet.

What should / could we do? I'm stumped to be honest. Its all new ground for me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

She's probably not entirely ready yet, I've a 2 and a half year old and while she asks to go the toilet she hasn't actually gone in it yet so I know she's not ready to be fully trained and there may be set backs... I'd put her back in nappies for a while and leave her to it, then try again next month...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My 2 year old was trained or so I thoguht until she went back to play school after the easter holidays and then it all changed.
    If you do not put trousers on her she never forgets but the pull ups confuse her and if I am not there and there is not a potty in the bathroom or a toilet and stoll waiting for her she sometimes forgets!
    If she poos in her pants she normally screams and gives me an essay about why she had an accident,it is uncomfortable and she hates it ,when there are pull ups on then she doesn't care.
    My advice is during the holidays stay at home and barely leave the house ofr 3 days,leav her with no pants and no nappy in the house and by the end of the 3 days pretty sure she will be nearly there.
    Is she starting school in sept?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

No, she's just turned three last week. She'll be starting that years free childcare thing tho.

Thats the thing though, we thought we were there. All was sorted (ish) and she's suddenly taking massive steps backwards. Today for example she wet herself three times. I know she knows she's doing it, and so does she. But today for some reason she didn't care that she did it. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Kidney infection? She could just be a bit unwell and not care at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I'd second ruling out a urine or kidney infection.

I'd also second 'taking a break' and coming back to retraining her again..she's got the basics just not sure how to put them into practice it sounds!
    Maybe then consider a reward chart or somthing similar that's visual, and a new strategy from the sweet box to take the focus off the past.

I'd go in again explaining about no1 and no2 and where they go and reassure her about what she can do..

And praise, praise, praise the sucesses and don't punish/get visably anxious about those accidents..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭chloek

If you are anxious about it she will notice it. Take a little break from it gradually retrain her again. She is only three and perhaps not quite ready.

Don't make an issue out of it or she will get upset and it will get worse.
    How is she at night time?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

How about an age appropriate book to read now, durig the beak and continue until she starts again?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Potty-Book-Girls-Her-Him/dp/0764152319

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I'd second ruling out a urine or kidney infection.

I'd also second 'taking a break' and coming back to retraining her again..she's got the basics just not sure how to put them into practice it sounds!
    Maybe then consider a reward chart or somthing similar that's visual, and a new strategy from the sweet box to take the focus off the past.

I'd go in again explaining about no1 and no2 and where they go and reassure her about what she can do..

And praise, praise, praise the sucesses and don't punish/get visably anxious about those accidents..

She's in a nappy at night time, and the special box is only new since last week.

Oddly, she went about her business yesterday no problems. Over to the potty on her own and had her number 1s all day. She seems to notice the no.2's after she's done them but she gets the idea and she tells me when its done so we can take care of it. I think that she gets the idea of it.

Then, when her mum came home everything went out the window. She got a bit hyper playing with her sister and wet and pooed herself at the same time. The worst thing is, she laughs at me and really couldn't give a toss.

Thats the thing. Sometimes she's brilliant, and sometimes she couldn't care less. when its the latter she laughs in you're face and its really really difficult to keep cool and not scold her.

Advertisement