Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to remove stains from new driveway?

• 15-06-2011 8:30pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Whats the best way to go about cleaning up and removing stains from my driveway.

Its a newly laid paving stone driveway but theres some patches of mortar,plaster and cement stains on it from when the block layers were bulding the rest of the garden wall.:mad:

Whats the best way to clean down the driveway and remove the stains.

Do I use a pressure washer and is there some sort of detergent or brick cleaner that I can use without damaging the paving itself??

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Paul.C

I wouldnt pay bricky till he cleaned his mess. If he was gonna be that messy he should have put down a barrier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Kinda agree with Paul C on this one. You shouldn't have to foot the bill for this. Especially since its a new driveway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Block layer came back today and brought this stuff with him.

Tested it out on a spare paving brick and it seemed to work just fine.

It says to dilute it with 4 parts water to 1 part solution,then scrub it into the paving bricks and leave for a few minutes,and then power wash it off.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I was going to recommend that stuff (for the third time in the past few days, it seems the country is covered in concrete spatters):D
    I wouldn't use a powerwasher because you'll be spraying dilute hydrochloric acid all over the place. A hose would be the right thing to use. All you need to do is neutralise the acid and then sweep up the dust and particles when they are dry.
    If the cobbles are pointed in cement you would need to be careful not to dissolve them - it's powerful stuff. If they're just bedded in sand, it'll be fine - the acid only targets lime based materials.
    Presumably the paver will be doing the cleaning:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

Santrax will work, may need to use it a few times though. Mind you I wouldn't be doing it the builder would!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Good to hear that its the right stuff.:)

The paving bricks are just slotted in against each other on sand and with mypex underneath.

So they aint bedded in on mortar,thank god.

Thanks for the advice about not using a power washer too,never thought of the bit about it spreading the acid everywhere.

My girlfriend would go absolutely mental if the acid was spread onto the tree and hedging and if it died.:eek::D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Mine's a pint of plain so. :D

Advertisement