Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SATA drive not detected

Options
  • 15-06-2011 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

I've just made a new build. It POSTs fine and I can see the hard drive in the BIOS however it then complains with "Reboot and select proper boot device".

Now I took this drive from my other Dell PC with Windows 7 and my programs installed. Surely it should boot to windows in the new PC and not make my re-install it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

quarryman wrote: »
    I've just made a new build. It POSTs fine and I can see the hard drive in the BIOS however it then complains with "Reboot and select proper boot device".

Now I took this drive from my other Dell PC with Windows 7 and my programs installed. Surely it should boot to windows in the new PC and not make my re-install it?

more than likely you gota re-install it through the new machine

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

You can't just take out a hard drive from one machine and put in into another :P

You need to do a fresh install of windows when you get a new computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

deconduo wrote: »
    You can't just take out a hard drive from one machine and put in into another :P

You need to do a fresh install of windows when you get a new computer.

Ye know, that's what I always thought too then one day I tried it and it worked in another machine, was hoping to get lucky again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You could try booting from the windows disc and doing a repair. Did you delete the boot partition or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Yeah I tried a repair but no joy. Ended up re-installing windows. At least it wasn't hardware!

• Advertisement
Advertisement