Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

hows the maize looking

• 15-06-2011 8:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭

mine is a bit yellow

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Looks ok to me, when was it sown?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭stanflt

blue5000 wrote: »
    Looks ok to me, when was it sown?

this field was sown on the 26th april- have another field sown first week in april is unbeleviable

Only sowed mine the 20th of May, no plastic though. It has 4 leaves this monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

why is it yellow, theres a field up the road from me , most of the plastic blew off it , its all yellow and looks awful

whelan1 wrote: »
    why is it yellow, theres a field up the road from me , most of the plastic blew off it , its all yellow and looks awful

dont know why its yellow as i only sprayed it today- is that field your on about the one up behind silverwings b&b

• Advertisement

stanflt wrote: »
    dont know why its yellow as i only sprayed it today- is that field your on about the one up behind silverwings b&b
    no at the turn for carrolls engineering , the massey garage... its an awful looking sight... thought you didnt have to spray it once you sowed it ..

no at the turn for carrolls engineering , the massey garage... its an awful looking sight... thought you didnt have to spray it once you sowed it ..

when you sow early under plastic we found that spraying was too soon and loads of weeds would germinate in june-now we only spray under the plastic when sowing and in between the rows later(ie today) made up a special boom for sprayer

Het stanflt have you nightshade? if you have that will stay germinating through the summer. Have some scutch in mine which is going to be hard to kill.

Het stanflt have you nightshade? if you have that will stay germinating through the summer. Have some scutch in mine which is going to be hard to kill.

i have knightshade in 2 of 3fields-we sow a 3acre field every year and walk in before we cut and pull all the nightshade sow we can feed it straight away- no scutch as i sprayed off with roundup before sowing at 3/litre/hectare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭what happen

its yellow because of drought look how dry the soil is:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

its another disaster of a year for maize, most of my open maize is under 3 inchs and hasnt grown in a month, I cant see it making a recovery. maize under plastic nearby is also desperate looking. My early planted stuff (12 April) looks okay and will probably stay. My maize under plastic looks about okay. Think maize has ran its course with me due to 3 poor Mays in a row. Currently the biggest problem around here is the severe wind that has blown for the last 6 weeks. Gone be with the days we could grow super crops of Justina in the open. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭John_F

was it just herbicide you went with stan or did ya put out something to give it a bit of green? crops looking v poor down here, some lads heading out with maize boost. . . anyone have an opinion on that?

i have knightshade in 2 of 3fields-we sow a 3acre field every year and walk in before we cut and pull all the nightshade sow we can feed it straight away- no scutch as i sprayed off with roundup before sowing at 3/litre/hectare
    all that spraying is making it a very expensive crop, with the plastic etc

all that spraying is making it a very expensive crop, with the plastic etc

assuming rented ground and 22ton of maize per acre it works out at 37euro per ton or 112/ton dm

triticale and lupins assuming rented ground 15ton/acre max works out at 34euro/ton or 113/ton dm

now lupins are very hard to harvest correctly to release the protein and they recommend crimping and this is an extra cost

who is your forage analiser?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

assuming rented ground and 22ton of maize per acre it works out at 37euro per ton or 112/ton dm

triticale and lupins assuming rented ground 15ton/acre max works out at 34euro/ton or 113/ton dm

now lupins are very hard to harvest correctly to release the protein and they recommend crimping and this is an extra cost

who is your forage analiser?

the costs you have for maize, are they your own figures and dose it include a cost for own labour, fuel and machinery dep.
    curious as we bought forward at €42 at a min of 28%dm and 26% starch.
    an extra €5/t and all i have to do is cover the pit.

your crop dosent look all that bad considering the conditions we have had.
    see some shockingly bad looking crops along the east coast, cold harse winds done a lot of damage

dar31 wrote: »
    the costs you have for maize, are they your own figures and dose it include a cost for own labour, fuel and machinery dep.
    curious as we bought forward at €42 at a min of 28%dm and 26% starch.
    an extra €5/t and all i have to do is cover the pit.

your crop dosent look all that bad considering the conditions we have had.
    see some shockingly bad looking crops along the east coast, cold harse winds done a lot of damage

the costs are for contractors to do the whole lot- but if i were doing lupins i could sow it myself with the one pass-but you have to be comparative-
    as for 28%dm thats very low quality maize

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

the costs are for contractors to do the whole lot- but if i were doing lupins i could sow it myself with the one pass-but you have to be comparative-
    as for 28%dm thats very low quality maize

ya 28 is a bit low, but thats a minumim requirement at that price, would be expecting to be in the early 30's. however if you put to much of a restriction on the quality requirements the the seller will have to increase price to cover the greater quality.

lupins, are they just a protien feed/supplement. can they be used as a buffer feed or do they need to be included in a tmr or the likes.
    maize comes into its own when feed at the shoulders as a buffer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

I've sprayed well over a hundred acres of maize over the last week or two, all in the open and all with a much smaller crop and much bigger weeds than in Stanfit's crop

The cold winds followed by some very cold nights over the last few weeks have really held back the crops of maize in this area and that after a slow start caused by the drought, there was a big move away from plastic this year around here, I'd say some of the folks are sorry now.....

dar31 wrote: »
    ya 28 is a bit low, but thats a minumim requirement at that price, would be expecting to be in the early 30's. however if you put to much of a restriction on the quality requirements the the seller will have to increase price to cover the greater quality.

lupins, are they just a protien feed/supplement. can they be used as a buffer feed or do they need to be included in a tmr or the likes.
    maize comes into its own when feed at the shoulders as a buffer

lupins are a supplement to forage i think
    maize is imo a priceless feed for holstein cows-most lads around me are buffer feeding 5kg/dm of maize as their short on grass-its lifting there solids also.

my point is/was that given the year we have i think alot of maize crops will be brutal for the costs that are being put in to it... the last year i had maize i swore never ever again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,762 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

mine is a bit yellow

Same this way - the cold windy May really did alot of damage, even with plastic:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

Plastic blew of some of ours but little difference between it now, seems to have come on well in the last 5 days, alot of heat there now, according to MT Cranium it will continue to get warmer in July, thank God!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,762 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

according to MT Cranium it will continue to get warmer in July, thank God!

I hope so - only July can save this summer now since we've only had one decent august(2003) in the last 10 years:(

standiing in waist high green Justina under plastic this AM, unfortunately not mine, was spraying 3" high maize aswell last night that is mine :rolleyes:

standiing in waist high green Justina under plastic this AM, unfortunately not mine, was spraying 3" high maize aswell last night that is mine :rolleyes:

What country are you in?:pac:

What country are you in?:pac:

I was in Denmark last week and I saw a field of maize beside where I was staying grow 6" in the week:(, I arrived home thinking mine might have done the same.

I kid you not about the Justina, Waist high might be stretching it, probably 3" short but very close to it. It was planted the first week of April.

Advertisement