Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eating cherries

• 15-06-2011 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

We have two big cherry treees in our garden.their starting to fall and the dogs are starting to go crazy eating all of them.

Ive heard grapes raisens chocalate,onions and lots of other thnigs that are poisenous to dogs and bad for them.

Are cherries okay?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I don't know about the cherry itself, I know I'd be concerned though over the cherry stones? Also a lot of cherries might give them the runs too maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

There is a reasonable amount of naturally occurring arsenic in cherry stones, not as much as is found in Peach or Apricot stones but it is there. However the dog would have to eat huge amounts of cherry stones for it to prove harmful, and if they are eating a lot of the fruit their bowels will be loose, so they will more than likely pass the stones before they digest them. If your worried, try fencing the trees in until they have stopped shedding fruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭doggiewalker00

Shes doent seem to be any the worse for eating them,shell generally have one or two maybe 3 then stop.shes quite a small cavalier so dont think it would be very good if she ate too many.and closing the tree off wouldnd really be an option the tree covers the whole garden its about 35 - 40 feet in height,I do my best to pick them up before I let her out and about.

Advertisement