Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ccnp jobs?

Options
  • 15-06-2011 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just wondering are there many ccnp jobs in general either here or in the uk?
    Working towards geting these certs and wondering would the ccnp stand to me if i decide to travel.

Thanks in advance.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

looked around,UK & I for IT positions (just to keep my CV up-to-date)...most of the jobs are having CCNX requirements beside MS & Cisco & VM & SAN... but not seen only CCNP !
    Good luck...

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

Yes...we are finding it hard at moment to get any cisco engineers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

nellocono wrote: »
    Yes...we are finding it hard at moment to get any cisco engineers

Where is that?
    The market is booming at the moment ;)

Dont really want to say on here, but the quality of candidates has not been great...Im sure it will pick up eventually though..

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭logic

nellocono wrote: »
    Dont really want to say on here, but the quality of candidates has not been great...Im sure it will pick up eventually though..

What skills are you looking for in your candidates? CCNP/IPT/ASA? Like zweton, I'm only working towards these certs but I'd be interested to know. Also, would you give someone with the certs and no experience an interview?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

logic wrote: »
    What skills are you looking for in your candidates? CCNP/IPT/ASA? Like zweton, I'm only working towards these certs but I'd be interested to know. Also, would you give someone with the certs and no experience an interview?

I have done in the past. Getting a candidate with all the right characteristics is far more important than one with all the right certs. Certs are great but in my eyes they have been devalued a little bit in recent years - especially in Cisco world. There are a lot of people out there getting their certs off the back of braindumps or else shoveling all the info into short term memory and forgetting it as soon as the test is over. A cert should just a be a means of confirming the level of expertise you have already attained.

Don't just show the employer a cert, show them that you are genuinely interested in networking, that you have a curious mind, that you've taken it for granted that you'll spend your career learning new things and above all else don't lie. Be enthusiastic and engaging and along with a solid CCNP those are all the skills you'll need to get a foot in the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭logic

dermCu wrote: »
    I have done in the past. Getting a candidate with all the right characteristics is far more important than one with all the right certs. Certs are great but in my eyes they have been devalued a little bit in recent years - especially in Cisco world. There are a lot of people out there getting their certs off the back of braindumps or else shoveling all the info into short term memory and forgetting it as soon as the test is over. A cert should just a be a means of confirming the level of expertise you have already attained.

Don't just show the employer a cert, show them that you are genuinely interested in networking, that you have a curious mind, that you've taken it for granted that you'll spend your career learning new things and above all else don't lie. Be enthusiastic and engaging and along with a solid CCNP those are all the skills you'll need to get a foot in the door.

That goes without saying (in my book anyway) but its hard to prove that point when getting to the interview stage is very difficult with no experience, thats what I would be hoping the certs could help me with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Where would be the best places to apply to with a ccna/ccnp,most places would only be doing general support,sys admin, backup stuff etc.
    Are there companies out there where you could be working on cisco kit 80/90 percent of the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

logic wrote: »
    That goes without saying (in my book anyway) but its hard to prove that point when getting to the interview stage is very difficult with no experience, thats what I would be hoping the certs could help me with.

Good for you. You seem to have the right attitude. You'd be surprised how many people make it to interview stage who cant get that enthusiasm across.

I take your point about getting an interview in the first place. As I see it you are left with 2 main options:
    1. Make yourself stand out e.g by voluntarily unpaid work or by doing some of your own specific project work targeted at a particular sector.
    2. Take a role that might only have minimal networking exposure and work your way up. If you are really at CCNP standard and have a good attitude you'll move on to more interesting work soon enough.

Either way you'll need to be persistent as hell.

Good luck.

Where would be the best places to apply to with a ccna/ccnp,most places would only be doing general support,sys admin, backup stuff etc.
    Are there companies out there where you could be working on cisco kit 80/90 percent of the time?

My company in particular are looking for a junior engineer and two senior engineers. The junior role is CCNA level only required and will be working on project based work with 100% Cisco equipment...

Let me know if interested..

• Advertisement
Advertisement