Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

In the market for a new helmet

• 15-06-2011 9:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

Would appreciate people opions on the helmet they have. Looking for a quiet/comfortable one and if it can be fliped even better, that said I know flips tend to be be noiser over all. Willing to spend a few quid to get the right one as its something I will have for a while and will make all the difference when out for a spin.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭amacca

cubix wrote: »
    Would appreciate people opions on the helmet they have. Looking for a quiet/comfortable one and if it can be fliped even better, that said I know flips tend to be be noiser over all. Willing to spend a few quid to get the right one as its something I will have for a while and will make all the difference when out for a spin.

Thanks

nexx xr1r carbon..... full face

pros = very very light, looks good (I think), comfortable, full removable inner lining
    cons = v noisy compared to my other helmets, chin strap not as good as the arai's - at least the fastening section of it is a pain in the hole, not as well ventilated as I like, doesn't take a pinlock fog free insert so you have to use the sticky ones which never work as well for me

arai chaser.....full face

pros = not as light as above but not really that noticeable, looks good (I think), very comfortable, takes a pinlock, well ventilated, distinct lack of wind noise compared to all other helmets ive had + just think its overall well made

cons = like it too much personally to find much fault with it

Dainese classic.....full face

pros = looks the shizzle, was quite cheap (but still safe)

cons = v uncomfortable - thought this was a size issue but larger sizes too large so stupidly bought it even though I more or less knew it would not get any more comfortable with time..lots of wind noise too.

no point talking about the others...they're extinct now

never wanted a flip up...have visions of the lower half of my face being worn off by tarmac

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭varadero

cubix wrote: »

Thanks

Read Ride magazine reviews, touring or spins out, got a roof hemet for 120 stg, great lid , arai rx7 great lid too, have 1 a them too, flip fronts no good without earplugs

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

i have a Shark RSi full face helmet, i find it very comfortable but i reckon it's a bit noisey.. although i dont have much to compare it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Cheers lads, came across this site that seems to have quite a variety of different lids and seem to be very thorough

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmets.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭doc crock

I got a Schubert C3 a few months back , its certainly the best and quietest lid i have even owned and its a flip up too. I would highly recommend !

• Advertisement

Morning Doc
    Seen the review on this lid, very good. Did you pick yours up locally or online, what did it cost in the end. I am gone beyond the days of two-stroke and flashy lids but do you think the C3 is a bit plain Jane?. Hoping to get out and about over the next couple of days and look and try some on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭doc crock

I got it at the bike show from maddocs , It came with the radio and bluetooth adapter and was over €700 :eek: , it was a big old decision at the time but despite the mega cost its one purchase that i am really satisfied with , Its alot cheaper with out the radio but i love my tunes so it was a must for me :)

I actually like that it doest look flash but is actually a quality piece of kit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Shoei XR1100, great lid. Very quiet but it's a full face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

TheZohan wrote: »

I agree with the Shoei XR1100. Great helmet. They've put up the price this year by ~€100 so it might be just too much now. A friend did well to find one on ebay recently for €360

Cheers lads, pricey alright for a decent lid but like most people here dont mind if I get the right one. Doc, as you say quite a price tag. Like you I will be looking for a lid with the option of being able to play tunes/connect your mobile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

The Don wrote: »
    I agree with the Shoei XR1100. Great helmet. They've put up the price this year by ~€100 so it might be just too much now. A friend did well to find one on ebay recently for €360

That's a fairly big jump, bought a plain one in Cotters last year for around €330.

Helmet City have them from £299stg plus £10 for delivery, only a few sizes left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

That's a fairly big jump, bought a plain one in Cotters last year for around €330.

Helmet City have them from £299stg plus £10 for delivery, only a few sizes left.

Ya I was a bit shocked when I found out. Demand for them has pushed the price up I guess. Got a Matt black one for €350 in Megabikes last January. Haven't seen any Shoei in Cotters recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Recently bought a Shark vision r. I'm happy with it, very quiet and the built in visor and the option to open the helmet a tiny bit are great.

I'd steer clear of flip lids. Great till ya come off and it's open when you finally stop bouncing off things.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

If you want a flip front the Caberg's are great, I have the "Trip" only cost €150 and has 5 Star safety rating. Noise is ok but earplugs are recommendedwhen doing high speed for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

I got mine for £299 when the Euro was worth £0.96. :D

It is light, quiet and comfy.

The GF has a Shark Evoline and is happy with it, even though she is still getting used to the flip up thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

A thread from 1.5 years ago that I started. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63154505

1.5 years later I'm still using the XR1100 and can say it's been the best lid I've had so far. Winter came and went twice and but for some issues with the seal of the pinlock visor (you need to press those pins home fully, and they do come loose over time) to keep the fogging down it just keeps ticking the boxes of daily use (Comfort, pinlock anti-fogging, vents everywhere you might need them). The only draw back has been the wicked helmet hair you get from it. Literally I spend the day in work with 2 ridges on the top of my head and a ridge down both sides. Still I wouldn't swap it.

On the gear front I just got myself a pair of Sidi ST boots this week and they are seriously comfortable too, http://www.thevisorshop.com/acatalog/info_14156.html Can't say anything bad about them. If you ever need to get boots watch the youtube reviews by 'RevZillaTV' they are amazingly detailed and made me happy to buy online without much concern as they compared sizes with a brand I already had. In the case of my new boots http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONlMCAK-5rQ

Advertisement